1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Getting started

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flazer, Jun 7, 2011.

1. flazer

flazer Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Hello,
    Just purchased a Thunderbolt for my wife - we're using Verizon. Kinda wondering where we start regards making the most of it. Compelled to admit, I fell kinda stupid cuz really not even sure where to begin here with my questioning.

I have a pretty good Windows PC background but am unfamiliar with the Android OS. Okay, more than good... but anyway...

She'll be connecting it to a Windows Vista machine btw.

I've googled and come across the 'top' apps and I suppose that's a start. Also understood that one has to know where you want to be regards moving forward!

Anyway, she's hooked up to Facebook, and I've configured the phone also for our wi-fi setup.

Finally, wife isn't a techie and most likely will only scratch the surface regards what the phone can do...

Suggestions regards moving forward?

Advertisement

2. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    I can say I've only been here a few months, but you've come to the right place for help. Allot of knowledgeable and friendly folks here to help.

One thing you'll notice is that the Thunderbolt eats batteries for breakfast. It's just a power hungry phone and I'd invest in either spare batteries or an extra charger to have handy. Otherwise, what you put on it has everything to do with how you want to use it. Take suggestions from folks as just that - suggestions. See what works for you, do lots of reading, and realize you may hear more complaints than positives. But that's just human nature.

In short; don't be afraid to ask, play, and occasionally make a mistake. :)

3. flazer

flazer Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    thx - apprecaite your response!

I hear that the extended life batteries have a larger profile and necessitate purchasing a larger backplate to accomodate it?

4. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Android Expert
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, and it makes the phone look very ridiculous. Even though it will get you through a day, I will never buy the extended battery because of how much bulk it adds to the phone and how ugly it makes it look.

5. N00B Moment

N00B Moment Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    If this is her (or your) first android device I would like to suggest that you should ALWAYS remember your gmail account info and password. Your gmail acct is how your phone is tied to you. If you were to ever lose your android device or break it and have to have it replaced, you can simply log into your gmail acct on your NEW android device and it automaticly syncs all your contacts and puts them back in your phone book. This will also keep track of your apps that you have paid for too so you can reinstall them with out having to pay for them again. Just a lil FYI, Good luck with your (her) new Tbolt!

6. sqerkl

sqerkl Newbie
    None

It's really not that bad at all. The phone is wide and almost unwieldy in the first place. With the extended battery installed n' all, it's probably not much thicker than, say, an LG ENV or something.

What noob suggests about Gmail or Google is key, if that wasn't apparent to you in purchasing a "Powered by Google" device. From a hardware standpoint, maybe a Zagg Invisi-shield. And I can't speak for anyone else, but some crucial apps for me, in my brief yet very transient Android experience, have been the following:

AppBrain. JuiceDefender. MyBackupPro. Lookout (or Where's My Droid). Everything is just icing on the case and really depends on what you, or your wife, needs from the phone.

Just my .02 cents on FB apps: I'll take Seesmic over any of the pre-installed stuff.

Enjoy!

7. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    Welcome to the TBolt...and the forums!

I know what you mean when you say you don't know where to start. But if you ask a "how do I?" You will get specific answers. Play around with the phone and decide what you want to do with it. Before you know it, this stuff will become second nature and you'll start asking about rooting your phone :)

8. fourseamer

fourseamer Newbie
    None

May 7, 2011
    I'm in the camp that believes the extended battery isn't that big of a deal from an aesthetic point of view. A little more weight but again relative to how big the phone is to begin with, not an issue. If you want to use this phone for what it is truly capable of, I would recommend getting the extended battery. However, if you don't have 4G in your area, or you're just a very light user (which is subject to change once you get a Thunderbolt), stick with the stock battery and read up on power management tips. Not too hard to get a full day from the stock battery if you reduce screen brightness, stop frequent syncing/updating of apps, etc.

And welcome!