• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting the Desire HD an have no idea where to start

In my case I have a rather odd situation.

I have a decent 7.2 Mbps connection on my phone with a 1.5 GB monthly data cap.

At home and in my office I have a pair of circa 2004 DSL lines at 512 kbps with no data limits. A ROM takes me 1-3 hours to download :D

Been meaning to upgrade this for some time. But other than ROM's I don't download anything else.

Well download was nice and quick. Only 2 minutes.

Liking it a lot, though I can't decide if I prefer AOKP to sense until I try a sense ICS rom

Stick with this for a bit. Might as well go with Blackout v3.2.0 or TrickDroid v3.0 for an ICS ROM. Both should be out in a week.

Use the Apex Launcher for now. Nova is nicer, but the free version Apex offers more features.

Reactions: scotty85 and Ewoedo
Upvote 0
Stick with this for a bit. Might as well go with Blackout v3.2.0 or TrickDroid v3.0 for an ICS ROM. Both should be out in a week.

by an ICS rom, i assume you mean a 'sense' ICS rom yep? im still confused by differences between aosp and sense, and also what the differences are between say GB and ICS. im never sure whether somethings a sense feature, ICS feature, sense 3, sense 4, blah de blah etc :)

Use the Apex Launcher for now. Nova is nicer, but the free version Apex offers more features.

mind me asking what extra features you get? im using nova purely because its got everything set as i want it. if apex had anything extra that id actually use i may take time to swap it all over.

id d/loaded the blackout rom as i think you recommended it, so was maybe gonna nandroid and try it for a while, see what differences i found in how it all works, and also battery life.
you recommending i wait a while for newer versions?

cheers

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Sense is a launcher like Nova or Apex, but it comes with its own theme pack, some modifications in the menu and some proprietary apps.

AOKP is basically vanilla Android, so it is a do it yourself setup. Sense... they try to bundle everything they think you want in one package.

Not much difference between Nova and Apex, but there are two or three options available in Apex that are only available in Nova Prime (the paid version) ... I forgot which ones :thinking:

Blackout ROM, the bugs in version v3.1.0 are listed here. Most problematic are poor voice call quality and VOIP voice calls do not work.

These have been fixed in the unreleased v.3.1.1 which is what I am using. This is an "Alpha" release which was never made available for download.

v.3.2.0 has a new "base". Basically, it is 3.1.1, without the Tweaks package, but runs much faster because of core improvements. Beta 2 was good. Beta 3 will test the Tweaks package which is being ported from v.3.1.1. Beta 3 will be conducted after which it will be released. If Beta 3 goes well, maybe in a week.

I test a lot of ROM's, sometimes just for a few hours. The ones I have used for long periods:

Android Revolution HD 6.3.3 > Virtuous Affinity 2.05 > Blackout ICS 3.1.1.

Upvote 0
At the moment ICS is really smooth and I'm loving the look. Stock Keyboard lags in some Alps (swift key did the same in ARHD).Any clue how to turn haptic feedback off for the keyboardthough? I still like the 4 bottom buttons to have it though... I'm also unsure on how to close this keyboard.

Upvote 0
For SwiftKey:

Open Swiftkey (in the app drawer is fine) > Advanced > Audio & haptic feedback

This won't affect the feedback on the four dedicated buttons.

The lagging in apps is odd. I only experience that when using it on with the web browser when the connection is slow.

Added: Close the keyboard. Press the back (<-) button or swipe down on it.

Upvote 0
The strength of AOKP is customizability. The power user settings in the menu allow extensive customization of look as well as how the OS operates. I have never been able to take advantage of all AOKP has to offer.

The little I have used, like locking the desktop into the memory, the kill button option by long pressing the back button, are very useful. Consumer interfaces like Android on a Nexus phone, Sense, TouchWiz (Samsung) and the like remove these power features since they would confuse the average user.

I think this is why guys like D-U-R-X and scotty85 really would not be happy with Sense. I love it, but really it is a dumbed down version of an Anrdoid interface for consumers.

Was thinking, maybe you guys should start a thread where you can share APEX/NOVA settings (most should be cross compatible)? Widgets that you find and the like. That way, you would create a catalog and you could just browse to the thread picking up stuff you like with instructions on how to do it?

Just in case you guys have free time :D

Upvote 0
:rofl:

Good idea though ral... will give it some thought... prollem is, I don't mess with settings enough. Not sure how much I've got on this weekend, but may just give it a go :)

Sorry D-U-R-X, this message was not intended for you. YOUR A GUIDE. GET BACK TO WORK :argh:

I just notice that I think we have five new guys all on ICS 8.7. If they somehow all got together and shared Minimalistic Text settings, links to apps, widgets and wallpapers we could build a really nice AOKP catalog.

I can upload my Minimalistic Text Day/Date and Next Appointment widgets. It need not be in the DHD thread. Nice thing about AOKP, it that it is pretty universal.

Upvote 0
Sorry D-U-R-X, this message was not intended for you. YOUR A GUIDE. GET BACK TO WORK :argh:

I just notice that I think we have five new guys all on ICS 8.7. If they somehow all got together and shared Minimalistic Text settings, links to apps, widgets and wallpapers we could build a really nice AOKP catalog.

I can upload my Minimalistic Text Day/Date and Next Appointment widgets. It need not be in the DHD thread. Nice thing about AOKP, it that it is pretty universal.

are you including me there ral? if so im not sure theres much i can do to help, although id certainly share any settings i have. the wallpaper i got from you, i dont use widgets really, only the minimalistic one at present, and im not totally happy with that, so would be looking at picking other brains there too :)

just dont think id be much use, altho its a great idea and id be willing to share what i know. i just consider myself at the bottom of the 'knowledge tree' :-D

Upvote 0
There are so many options, I think we are all near the bottom of the tree.

Does not have to be done overnight :) Imagine what it might be like in a Vicel weeks.

As people find things they can add them and over a period of time it could be a nice resource:

AOKP ICS/JB Customization Catalog

a2sx75.png

Day-Date Minimalistic Text Widget (Top right of image)
Next Appoint Minimalistic Text Widget (Bottom left of image)

In order to use this widgets:

1. Install Minimalistic Text from the Google Play Store. The app is free, but there is a donate version. Buying this will support the app developer.

2. Download the zip file below. In contains:

DayDate Minimalistic Text Widget (DayDate-ral.mtpref)
Next Appoint Minimalistic Text Widget (Appointment-ral.mtpref)

3. Unzip and copy the .mtpref files into /sdcard/MinimalisticTextPreferrence
4. Create a Minimalistic Text Widget on your desktop.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Restore. Confirm your action.

Notes:

DayDate - As seen in the image, DayDate was created using a 3x2 (Horizontal) widget. Other sizes will work too, but the scaling may be wrong.

Appointment - As seen in the image, Appointment was created using a 1x2 (Vertical) widget. I than resized manually widget on the home screen to center the text. Other sizes will work too, but the scaling may be wrong.

Attachments

• MTWidgets-ral.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
There are so many options, I think we are all near the bottom of the tree.

I don't expect it to be done overnight :)

As people find things they can add them and over a period of time it could be a nice resource:

AOKP Customization Catalog

The hard part will be how to limit post on the thread so each post is a tutorial. Something like this:

a2sx75.png

Day-Date Minimalistic Text Widget
Next Appoint Minimalistic Text Widget

In order to use this widgets:

1. Install Minimalistic Text from the Google Play Store
2. Download the widgets from these links:

Day-Date Minimalistic Text Widget
Next Appoint Minimalistic Text Widget

3. Copy the .mtpref file into /sdcard/MinimalisticTextPreferrence
4. Create a Minimalistic Text Widget on your desktop.
5. Select restore...

Something like that :D

see thats what i mean about being at the bottom of the tree :-D i dont really understand some of that. ive never heard of a .mtpref file, i just downloaded from play, installed, long pressed the screen to plop a widget there, then messed around with all the different boxes and font sizes and its still not as i want it!! :-D

Upvote 0
ah right. see im learning all the time :) i must admit i do like the way youve got yours, so if you fancy sending it me...... ;-)

Done (see older post above) :D Now you owe me yours :playingball:

Was wondering maybe we should be less ambitious and just make a Minimalistic Text Thread. With enough contributions, maybe we can create things as amazing as the image below (taken from the Developer).

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
Done (see older post above) :D Now you owe me yours :playingball:

Was wondering maybe we should be less ambitious and just make a Minimalistic Text Thread. With enough contributions, maybe we can create things as amazing as the image below (taken from the Developer).

now thats a good idea :)

heres my attempt, but its very basic and i cant get an 'of' in there. havent looked at yours yet so ill be interested to see how youve done it.

EDIT: it wont upload for some reason. ive tried both mtpref file and the zip file. mtpref says invalid file which is understandable, zip just says cannot upload file or upload failed :-/

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
now thats a good idea :)

heres my attempt, but its very basic and i cant get an 'of' in there. havent looked at yours yet so ill be interested to see how youve done it.

EDIT: it wont upload for some reason. ive tried both mtpref file and the zip file. mtpref says invalid file which is understandable, zip just says cannot upload file or upload failed :-/

For the "of" pick static text.

You can try uploading to 4Shared. Requires registration though.

Reactions: scotty85 and davo26
Upvote 0

What a good idea... I've had minimalistic text for AGES and haven't used it very much (a little bit when I got it and then never again)... I don't even have anything on my screen using it!

Here is a link to the thread http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-tips-tricks/631433-minimalistic-text-thread.html - I put it in the tips and tricks section, as it's not only going to be useful to root only people :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones