• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting the Inspire? You'll have to change your data plan

chief113

Feb 4, 2011
Philly
AT&T's 4G policies revealed | Android Central

Did you guys see this yet? Basically, at@t says if you want a 4G phone, you can't have unlimited data. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I kind of don't care about losing my unlimited data because I never come close to even 400mb. So 2gigs is plenty for me. I'm pretty sure that all new phones in the smartphone category will all be 4G, so there's no way around it. I'm actually happy that I still only have to 25 for data instead of 35 or worse like Verizon is going to do.

That thread was most likely deleted because of the amount of attacking and bad mouthing, second last time I was in AT&T the idiot manager said that pretty much all unlimitied data will be eliminated for every phone with a HTML browser. He said that was the easiest way to know if you could keep your plan. Some people skated through but the people who did are going to be cut off at the next resign. Iused to have the unlimited but said I was unable to keep it even when I said I would go to sprint, but they are not great where I live.

Upvote 0
Good stuff Andrea, let's hope that's the case! I'd think if not, and I don't have to sign anything/I'm not given a warning at the time of purchase, it would my contract, so we'll see how that goes.

No problem. The guy actually quoted a section of a contract stating they can not force you out of grandfather plans. The only exception is if they don't offer the service. For instance when edge data goes away one.day they will.no longer support edge data plans

Upvote 0
104: Next Bill Cycle: 04/12/2011
Data (MB): 256.9 of Unlimited
Data (MB): 179 of Unlimited (Deactivated)
Messaging: 0 of Unlimited

Don't know what deactivated means. I was told when I upgraded from my 3GS that I would still have my unlimited plan also.

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but i just recently got this phone.

Upvote 0
104: Next Bill Cycle: 04/12/2011
Data (MB): 256.9 of Unlimited
Data (MB): 179 of Unlimited (Deactivated)
Messaging: 0 of Unlimited

Don't know what deactivated means. I was told when I upgraded from my 3GS that I would still have my unlimited plan also.

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but i just recently got this phone.

I had the same thing on the first billing cycle. The deactivated is the iPhone unlimited data, since you don't have that anymore. The other one should be the Personal Smartphone HSPA+/4G. You didn't cut and paste everything.

Upvote 0
Ok just got off the phone with At&t and spoke to two people a CSR and a manager. They both assured me that any grandfathered feature unlimited data included can only be removed by you personally opting out. So switching to a 4G phone will not.require loosing unlimited data!! :)

Same thing I was told when I called earlier.

I have had my Inspire for a few weeks now, had warranty replacements done, verified at the store and with CSR on the phone. I have Unlimited Data on a family plan and they said that they have put the 4G provisioning on my line and there is no need, or no plans to force those off grandfathered unlimited plans unless they change their plans significantly.

Not sure about the ruckus on this one. Rather than reading articles and going off the handle, check it out in the real world. :)

Upvote 0
Ok just got off the phone with At&t and spoke to two people a CSR and a manager. They both assured me that any grandfathered feature unlimited data included can only be removed by you personally opting out. So switching to a 4G phone will not.require loosing unlimited data!! :)

This still applies

I have mine, my Inspire is FAST, and we don't even have 4G YET :)

Upvote 0
This phone is fast!
Yes it is.

Also I just thought of another tip to pass on.

You should be sure to turn off your phone (any mobile phone on any carrier) completely at least every other day. Even if only for a full minute.

Here's why. AT&T is busy pushing out small software updates to make your phone faster on the network and to correct issues that crop up from time to time. These are specific to the network, not Android or any mobile OS.

If you do NOT turn off your phone you will not get these right away, if ever. By turning off your phone you are disconnecting it from the network.

It's during the period of time when you turn it back on that triggers the network to push out the updates. So be sure to do that.

Upvote 0
I just decided I wasn't going to give $25.00 for 2MB of data.
AT&T are such greedy a**holes.

Being on wi-fi 80% of the time anyway, its like throwing $25 a month to the dogs.

i upgraded over the internet - which forced me to switch from unlimited to the 25.00 package, however after going into the store they were able to switch me back to unlimited

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones