• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help getting the screen to stay lit on a call

AOldfield

Lurker
May 22, 2010
This is only a problem when I make calls which require entering a number to select an option--(i.e., press 1 for...). I know the screen times out(?) when on calls normally and that it will light up again when it senses the call has ended, but if I have to see the keyboard to press a number to make a selection, pressing the power button to bring it up usually takes too long. By the time I get the screen up and press a button, the system on the other end doesn't recognize it. OR, I'll press the power button and it won't come up at all.
Anyone have a suggestion for this or am I just crazy? Thanks in advance!:)

This is only a problem when I make calls which require entering a number to select an option--(i.e., press 1 for...). I know the screen times out(?) when on calls normally and that it will light up again when it senses the call has ended, but if I have to see the keyboard to press a number to make a selection, pressing the power button to bring it up usually takes too long. By the time I get the screen up and press a button, the system on the other end doesn't recognize it. OR, I'll press the power button and it won't come up at all.
Anyone have a suggestion for this or am I just crazy? Thanks in advance!:)

It should come back on when you take away from your face, but it doesnt always for some reason. Also, when you are driving and using blue tooth you don't have the phone to your face and it times out during conversation. That is very annoying.

Upvote 0
It should come back on when you take away from your face, but it doesnt always for some reason. Also, when you are driving and using blue tooth you don't have the phone to your face and it times out during conversation. That is very annoying.
Not only that, but the damn proximity sensor still functions even though you are using BT. For instance, try swiping on the notification bar when on the phone using BT headset - you can't! It keeps blanking out the screen when your finger gets close to the notification bar (can't even "sneak" in from the side or anything .. lol)
... but you can simply hit Home so you are out of the Phone app and then the proximity sensor goes away.

Upvote 0
Not only that, but the damn proximity sensor still functions even though you are using BT. For instance, try swiping on the notification bar when on the phone using BT headset - you can't! It keeps blanking out the screen when your finger gets close to the notification bar (can't even "sneak" in from the side or anything .. lol)
... but you can simply hit Home so you are out of the Phone app and then the proximity sensor goes away.

Good job! You solved your own issue!

Upvote 0
hmm i'll have to try the home button. i usually just shake it a few times and the screen pops back on
My problem was when using a BT headset and trying to view something in the notification bar. My display would light up just fine, but my finger would set off the proximity sensor when I go for the notification bar. Of course that then causes the screen to blank out, so I pull my finger back and the screen comes back on. I was even trying to sneak in from the side to grab the notification bar ... lol
... this only happens if the phone app/dialer is onscreen, so Home is an easy fix for that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones