• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gettng a Bionic soon, Rooting seems odd on this phone

Danielson2047

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2010
Portage, WI
So i'll be getting a bionic in a few days, got a good deal and playing with these things is what i do. Now i've had many android phones, rooted all of them immediately. The Bionic seems wonky. I messed with SBFs with my OG Droid, but now those are gone and its some kind of .xml file? I've heard bootstrap, safetrap, etc. Why is all this necessary? Is it solely because of the locked bootloader? (If so, burn down Motorola HQ anyone?) I have fastboot from when i was using my G'Nex LTE, is that going to suffice with the Bionic as well? Thanks guys, and look forward to learning yet another device!

So i'll be getting a bionic in a few days, got a good deal and playing with these things is what i do. Now i've had many android phones, rooted all of them immediately. The Bionic seems wonky. I messed with SBFs with my OG Droid, but now those are gone and its some kind of .xml file? I've heard bootstrap, safetrap, etc. Why is all this necessary? Is it solely because of the locked bootloader? (If so, burn down Motorola HQ anyone?) I have fastboot from when i was using my G'Nex LTE, is that going to suffice with the Bionic as well? Thanks guys, and look forward to learning yet another device!

Rooting the bionic is simple, just use motofail. i've never had to sbf my bionic, there's a 902 file you can download if you ever have to sbf, can't remember what it's called right now. you just download the Moto drivers and rsd lite to run the file. bootstrap and safestrap are just clockwork managers that let you flash roms. safestrap is the preferred one for most people.

Upvote 0
Rooting the bionic is simple, just use motofail. i've never had to sbf my bionic, there's a 902 file you can download if you ever have to sbf, can't remember what it's called right now. you just download the Moto drivers and rsd lite to run the file. bootstrap and safestrap are just clockwork managers that let you flash roms. safestrap is the preferred one for most people.

Thats what has me, obviously (in my way of thinking) if there's a recovery option that has a fail safe (safestrap) its because there's something buggy with the process and is needed often. And i don't wanna sound like i'm coming down on it before i even have it, just tripped my curiosity.

Upvote 0
Thats what has me, obviously (in my way of thinking) if there's a recovery option that has a fail safe (safestrap) its because there's something buggy with the process and is needed often. And i don't wanna sound like i'm coming down on it before i even have it, just tripped my curiosity.

safestrap gives you two partitions, unsafe and safe. on the unsafe side you backup your stock rom so you always have it there. at least that's what i do. on the safe side is where you flash all your roms and what not. also everytime you bootup it gives you the option to boot into safestrap to prevent bootlooping, unlike bootstrapper. safestrap is the better and safer way to go i believe. I've never once have had to sbf yet.

Upvote 0

safe strap is a fail safe for after you root. it allows to run 2 operating systems on the same phone. one is a safe side and the other not safe... it lets you mess with your phone in safe and no matter what you do you will always be able to get to your unsafe os, but this has nothing to do with rooting, it is what you do to your phone after you root that you would need to this. Worse case if you really mess it up you can flash the os file (called FXZ) with rsdlite and it will put your phone back to 100% stock.

Upvote 0
Sorry, when i speak of rooting, i kinda throw everything in there (the root process, romming, theming, flashing radios, etc). My bad. I guess what has me confused is, this boot option comes up everytime you boot (you press menu within 10 seconds i believe i read)? And if something happens and you need to go back to stock, you choose the unsafe-side? Does this overwrite whatever is on there still or are they completely separate? (as in, i could get a rom that's bootlooping, restore stock unsafe side, then if i wanted to, just as an example, could go back to the bootlooper)

Upvote 0
Sorry, when i speak of rooting, i kinda throw everything in there (the root process, romming, theming, flashing radios, etc). My bad. I guess what has me confused is, this boot option comes up everytime you boot (you press menu within 10 seconds i believe i read)? And if something happens and you need to go back to stock, you choose the unsafe-side? Does this overwrite whatever is on there still or are they completely separate? (as in, i could get a rom that's bootlooping, restore stock unsafe side, then if i wanted to, just as an example, could go back to the bootlooper)

they are completely separate you could watch the bootloop all day or go back to your unsafe side and have your phone back and working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones