• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ghost headset

eriklj

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
My Hero detects a headset even though it's not connected.
If I plug in my headphones it switches to headphone mode, but as soon as I disconnect them it switches back to headset mode. (making me unable to use my phone to make phone-calls :( )

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Keep poking a headset in there until it disappears. Do not plug all the way in tho, that doesnt help. This problem comes up for me every once in a while whenever i restart it too much in a short period of time. I find that if i wait ~3-5 mins before turning the phone back on, then it wont appear. Its definitely a software issue for me. Happened on every rom and build version ive tried

Upvote 0
I can confirm this issue, as it's happening to my Hero.

Symptoms
1. Connect headset/headphones (I've seen it with both the stock handsfree h/s and Seinheisser CX300 'phones) -the correct notification icon is displayed.

2. Disconnect 'phones and the icon remains (or changes to) the "headset" one. Reconnect 'phones... icon changes to the correct one. Remove... see above.

Resolution
I've found that repeatedly inserting and slowly removing the jack eventually clears the issue, but the number of attempts varies seemingly at random. It also reappears the next time a headset or headphones are connected.

Update
I restored a stock MoDaCo 2.1 ROM (MCR4r5) and the problem persisted. I then tried a factory reset to see if that cleared it up.... and the handset got stuck in a boot loop! I tried to restore the nandroid backup made before starting this process and the recovery app barfed on the backup, entailing a restore from the shell. When I got the system back up I had apps that were uninstalled a hour earlier somehow reinstalled and a widget that was installed and working now fc'ing at startup..... but the headset problem has gone! :D Unfortunately I haven't a scooby why. All I can say for sure is that this points to a software rather than hardware issue. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones