• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gimmie the real OTA already......

geat point but dont the apps charge? maybe the key word is free.

The pay ones on the market allow you to do most everything, except https. So if you are just reading boards and whatnot, you can go pretty much anywhere, but if you have to have https, then you will have to pay.

I would love everything free as well, but if there is a need, pony up the few dollars and do it. If you use it that much, you will get your monies worth. It's not like they are asking $50 for the app. :)

Upvote 0
So you're saying you can see copy protected apps? Not just paid, but protected? Look and see if you can find Pure Calendar (agenda not grid). I know that's copy protected. I don't know why you'd be able to see these apps. We're all on FRF50.

I can see aniAgenda: Agenda Widget for $1.99 when searching for Pure Calendar, is that the one you're talking about? the other one I see is the Grid one. I've never used or heard of this so I'm not sure what you're asking. The other ones that are discussed above, such as MLB At Bat, I can see fine when I run a search. However, I just noticed that I don't see Namco's Pac-Man, even though I have it installed.

Upvote 0
Now that the iPhone 4 has been revealed (and there was nothing to it that made me want to go back to being a fanboy) I'm sure we're just that much closer to the OTA update. Yeah they're stealing some of Apple's thunder, but that's cut-throat business. I think it's smart of them to do the "leak" on both Nexus and Droid, then perhaps a mass OTA update this week to keep everyone looking in the Android direction. It's all business.

Upvote 0
The pay ones on the market allow you to do most everything, except https. So if you are just reading boards and whatnot, you can go pretty much anywhere, but if you have to have https, then you will have to pay.

I would love everything free as well, but if there is a need, pony up the few dollars and do it. If you use it that much, you will get your monies worth. It's not like they are asking $50 for the app. :)

what about hotspot? hmmmmm

Upvote 0
I can see aniAgenda: Agenda Widget for $1.99 when searching for Pure Calendar, is that the one you're talking about? the other one I see is the Grid one. I've never used or heard of this so I'm not sure what you're asking. The other ones that are discussed above, such as MLB At Bat, I can see fine when I run a search. However, I just noticed that I don't see Namco's Pac-Man, even though I have it installed.
Nope that's a different app. I used that example because the dev of the Pure widgets only protected the agenda version of the calendar widget for some reason. It's a good way to tell if a phone can see protected apps. It seems your's cannot. I too have apps installed that no longer show up in search. Those are the protected ones.

Upvote 0
This was posted in the official Android Support forums earlier today, after the post that's already been reported:

"Hi everyone,

I feel your anxiety, and though I'd love to give you all a definitive date, that's not possible, because there is no date. What I mean is, it's not that there's a Froyo release ready to go, and we're holding it back, or waiting for the right time to release it. That's not how it works. Software development is an iterative process, and each release candidate goes through extensive testing. Sometimes, the testing exposes issues introduced in the new version, and the release gets delayed as a result. And so, although we know that we are pretty close to having a final build, we won't be sure of the release date until it arrives, and at that point the release goes out to the public without any further delay. It's a bit like a baby -- the delivery date is a best guess, but if the baby has other ideas, we all have to wait ..."

In short, it's nearly done, but no date as of yet as it will be ready when there are no bugs to squash.

Upvote 0
You guys really have nothing to complain about. :D

Some devices were promised 2.x releases, and are still stuck with 1.6. On the Galaxy (I7500), we're waiting for a functional 2.1 ROM, and Froyo is already coming out. And the device is fairly new! (It's still in the "spotlight" stand in my local stores, as the shiny new device...)

@Roze: That's a lot of apps! I guess the only place where the Galaxy shines is the 8gb internal storage, with 800Mb for apps. Try to fill that up! :p

EDIT: Oh, and if I didn't come here, I'd be stuck with 1.5 on my phone. Samsung really doesn't care about this product.

After owning an i8910 I will honestly never ever, ever, ever, ever buy a crappy samsung again mate. They do not give a crap about their mbile customers. Stick with tvs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones