• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 is HERE!!!

Been waiting for this.
Downloaded, said to install now.. now my phone is more ****ed than it was before.
At least before if I had to turn it off then it would at least turn back on.. now it won't even do that. Great. No phone for me.

EDIT: It's all fixed. (My phone might not be but it's back on now..). I can't really see what's new?!!! Apart from the notifications bar when pulled down, the panel at the bottom and an "AM" next to the time?!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the headsup premiump.

Just downloaded the update now over HSDPA and it installed smoothly.

I presume the improvements are behind the scenes, although with the HTC sense overlay, I'm sure most changes aren't overly apparent.

I got my DZ from CPW BTW so it was unbranded - do our UK carriers brand the Android phones do you know (as I'm hoping to get Samsung Galaxy S2 next month as it's upgrade time with Orange).

Upvote 0
I got my DZ from CPW BTW so it was unbranded - do our UK carriers brand the Android phones do you know (as I'm hoping to get Samsung Galaxy S2 next month as it's upgrade time with Orange).

Mine's unbranded too, I bought it from Amazon sim-free.

My contract is up (Orange) in November, and I'm in no hurry to get a new one. I may just go sim-only until the next generation (post-Galaxy S2/Sensation) of mobiles hits our shores.

Pete

Upvote 0
In the US it indicates it's 2.3.3 it's being installed, but then after it's installed it shows up as 2.3.4.

The G2 is a version ahead of the DZ due to it running vanilla Android. The DZ update is to 2.3.3.

do our UK carriers brand the Android phones do you know

If you get the phone directly from Orange it will be branded/network locked. Not a major problem with the GS2 though... the bootloader is unlocked so a stock unbranded firmware can be flashed to debrand it without the need for rooting.

I got my Gingerbread update as well today in the UK - and it identifies itself as v. 2.3.3

Can you quote me the build number and kernel string from "About phone", please? I like keeping track of this sort of thing. :)

BUT no update for my HTC Desire ...

No OTA, but it's available for download on the HTC support site.

Upvote 0
Can you quote me the build number and kernel string from "About phone", please? I like keeping track of this sort of thing. :)

Software # is 2.42.405.2

Kernel # is 2.6.35.10-g7b95729

there's a couple more lines I can pass on if you need them

No OTA, but it's available for download on the HTC support site.

I have downloaded a large file HTC_Desire_Android_2.3_Upgrade.zip but I'm biding my time before using it as I want to make sure I have backed up everything first. Despite uninstalling various apps (and the Facebook and Maps updates), and switching others to the SD card, I can still get low memory warnings - very frustrating for otherwise is a good phone. :( Whether Gingerbread will make a difference ...

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones