1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Gingerbread 2.3 - stock, rooted or custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RoberB, Sep 22, 2011.

1. RoberB

RoberB Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    I have read with great interest the various reports from members on the success/failure of the recent 2.3 update.

There seem to be a lot of people who are having severe problems (not charging, not ringing, other lost functionality, etc.), many members who have smaller issues (mostly annoyances) and those with no problems.

I am wondering if those that are having the issues are running the stock ROM that the phone came with or are they either rooted, or if they are custom ROMs.

I keep delaying the update of my phone until there is a clearer picture of the situation.

Thanks.
    Rob

Advertisement

2. Stevie D

Stevie D Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    Male
    Deputy Campaign Manager for McKenna For Congress
    Orlando Florida
    I'm having the Won't turn off, just reboots problem. and the Won't charge Problem. Now I just discovered the PRL fails to update. I'm using the stock Rom. Never Rooted.

3. RoberB

RoberB Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Just got home from the Sprint store in San Jose CA where they actually have techs working. I told them about all the issues being reported by customers. The senior tech told me that they are aware of most of these issues and LG is apparently working on the fixes which they plan on releasing in a week or two. His advice was to hold off on the update.

He also mentioned a couple of things that sort of surprised me:

He said that the way they work the updates is that LG gets the OS from the Android folks, customizes it for the phones they manufacture. After that, LG applies the further customizations that Sprint requests.

The other thing he mentioned was that the 'not charging' issue, at least in some of the cases were due to the battery charging icon not being updated, as opposed to the battery actually not charging. I don't know if this is actually true or if he was blowing the proverbial smoke ... but I thought I'd pass it along.

Keep the faith.
    Rob