1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WhizGidget, Nov 15, 2010.

?

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

Poll closed Jan 4, 2012.
  1. 10/11/11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10/17/11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 10/24/11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 10/31/11

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. 11/07/11

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. 11/14/111

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  7. 11/21/11

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Don't care (rooted already, etc)

23 vote(s)
    21.5%
  9. Before Christmas

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  10. Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

11 vote(s)
    10.3%
  11. It isn't coming at all now

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  12. Any minute now

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  13. Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  14. The day after the apocalypse

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  15. Sometime after the sun goes supernova

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. Emmnemms

Emmnemms Newbie

I don't know any information, but I received the Gingerbread update today, and 12 hours later I got the update...? It is currently installing, so I guess I will find out soon...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Emmnemms

Emmnemms Newbie

Well, So far I don't see much to different from this "Update." Took less time to install and it took a few minutes of lag but is back to being snappy.

The one thing I noticed is the original update "lost" some of my apps (Didn't plan on getting the update so I didn't move the apps from the memory card) and I never had got around to deleting/finding them again. Well, now they are back! :D

3. Jewshort

Jewshort Member

well i just got the smaller ota

it was 8.6ish mb

i tried to install it, but phone didnt have enough space

i cleared some space, and went to the system updates

and "my phone is currently up to date"

i did *#*#checkin#*#*

and checkin succeeded (or the correct spelling of that word)

but nothin.

what can i do?

and what does this smaller ota do?

4. today

today Android Expert

it's the PATCH. gingerbread is all fixed.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Gahhhhhh!!!! One more step until a VZW assured "stable" 2.3.4 update but I got the cannot install because there wasn't enough space (supposedly) and now I'll be clicking on System Update for the next few hours.

frustrating.

6. Stupifier

Stupifier Android Enthusiast

What exactly was Wrong with Gingerbread....anyone got a change/fix log for this Patch/Update?

7. godzilla932

godzilla932 Member

Yeah you had better move them.I just got done reinstalling apps that disappeared from my sd card after the second update

8. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Well-Known Member

Put me down for another one who got the initial update yesterday morning, and then got the new one tonight, just to have it cancelled because it said I have lack of space. I'm not sure how to try it again.

9. niseag03

niseag03 Newbie

Same issue here. Ironically, I had plenty of space prior to yesterdays' update debacle. Now I can't seem to delete enough apps to keep from getting the low space warning. Ironically, I was so hoping this update would kinda fix the low space issue. :eek:

10. Deanski

Deanski Member

This morning I found update #2 on the phone. I let it update. Once completed, it now shows I have 4.08.

Have yet to see anything new yet.

Deanski

11. NovaCove

NovaCove Newbie

same problem here, not enough space for 4.08.. didnt have a low space notification before the update, and i already had gb from the first wave of beta testing(original update) on my phone, my wife said she had no problems with the gb yesterday and this one this morning.. granted she prob has 1/2 the amount of apps i have, lol

deleted multiple apps and cleared the cache on the rest.. guess the wait continues

12. 1868

1868 Lurker

Same here. I really don't even see that much difference between Froyo and Gingerbread.
    It is nice to know that HTC and Verizon at least updated the DInc.

13. NovaCove

NovaCove Newbie

yes, just reinstall the apps without deleting the original and it will keep all your data without loosing it, seems the update broke a shortcut to the app exe or something and reinstalling it fixes that link

14. pequeajim

pequeajim Android Enthusiast

I applied the update a couple of nights ago and my microphone level was way down. I saw the update this morning and applied it. My mic is fine now. I'm not sure what else the update did...

15. Mungus

Mungus Newbie

Put me down as another one without enough space for 4.08

16. homerpez

homerpez Member

Just tried a reset/battery pull/toggle WIFI (so it checks internet again) as per the instructions... checked About Phone -> System Update and it just sits there with "Your system is currently up to date". Software version still says 4.06.605.3.

I've always hated how Verizon has the "Our programmers know best" disease. I know in Windows, I can choose to update it, or not. Or, I can retry an update that fails, whenever I choose. Verizon makes you suffer. If an update fails - tough. No way to try again. No "click here to download manually" link. All automatic, from the top down. They know best, apparently.

17. trowpa

trowpa Member

One more here with "not enough space" for 4.08. How do we try again? Or do we just wait and it will be pushed to us again? Or...have we simply missed our chance?

18. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

Received a notification for system update to 4.08.605.2 this morning. Anyone know if this will break root?

19. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member

I got the same message this morning, saying that the 8.6 MB update was downloaded, verified, and ready to install. I am rooted, I have S-Off, and I have almost ALL bloatware removed. What can I expect to happen? I think I'm just gonna try it.

20. FitchVA

FitchVA Member

+1 on user with the "low space" issue and is now patiently awaiting on how to get the new update after this error.

I tried rebooting, but all that did was wipe out my LauncherPro and apps again. But I'm still on the old version. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

21. waynester

waynester Android Enthusiast

ditto, not enough space

22. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member

Haha, well, I clicked install and it counted down to the reboot. then it reached zero, said 'rebooting' and stayed there. Now It tells me I'm up to date. I don't mind, cause my rooted GB is the 605.3 with a fixed build.prop. I've had working GB for a while now. I'm happy that this ended up coming out, though, for the non-rooters' sake.

BTW, does this mean we can expect a full RUU? I'd like to get the new kernal, cause I've been afraid to try other ones. I'm still on the Froyo one.

23. dmorack

dmorack Lurker

The first attempt failed with the "not enough space" message. If I change the date to one month ahead, the update will download, but the phone never reboots once I tap "Install now".

I'd like to install this update so that I don't have to keep unmounting and then mounting the SD card to have all my apps.

Verizon/HTC really dropped the ball on this one.

-D.

24. jinxxycat

jinxxycat Newbie

Mine failed also b/c of not enough space....I deleted Angry Birds (GRRR!) and restarted phone but it didn't update....don't know how to get the update to run again?

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews