• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's no point. My experience as well as a lot of others, has been an unsuccessful attempt at tricking the update to hitting the phone again. Mights as well just wait or do a reset & get the update when it prompts you at the set up.

Other people have been able to trigger the update that way. I agree that you shouldn't get to anxious if it doesn't work right away but people have gotten it to work.

Upvote 0
Tues AM I got the 4.06.605.3 and updated it successfully. Well had SD card issues.
Wed AM I got the 4.08.605.2 and updated and failed. It said not enough storage room to update.

I really don't understand why they want you to update to the buggy version first, although I got the 4.06.605.2 and 4.06.605.3, they both never had any of the problems some reported. I never had the SD Card issues, no texting problems, no nothing. I have the 4.08.605.2 now and I had a successful install.
Still no problems, but I have noticed that if you update to the 06.605.3, the "counters" on the text messages and stuff is black like sense 2.x, and I updated to 08.605.2, and its back to the green now. I dont like that, but its nothing.

Upvote 0
Ok so I tweeted Verizon about the update. They told me to dm them my MEID. I did. Bout hour later they called me on my phone. They asked the problem. I told them the 4.08 update failed gave me the space error. I cleared cache, rebooted pulled battery and continued to check for system update but it was saying up to date. He told me that was because the phone downloaded the update sjust didn't install it. So when checking for system update the MEID is showing the phone still has the update. He told me to power off phone and then hold the power button and volume down button till a menu comes up and the hit the vol down button to get to the h boot. He said this should install the update hopefully. He asked to dm them the results. I have no clue if this will cause harm to the phone or cause me to loose all my data. He did tell me to do a back up of course just don't know if its worth it. Thoughts? Sorry could see what I was typing if some of this does not make sense.

Upvote 0
I FOUND IT OUT ... ALL CAPS!!AHHHHH!!! first when u get the red triangle in the recovery screen scroll down to the one that says "Wipe Cache Partition" and confirm, ive tried it with three Dinc's and it works excelently!! but idk if im just lucky :) good luck ...

P.S.The dingos told me this, and i tried it

I wonder if the quoted post is describing the same method as described in the post above. I'll be interested to see whether this works.

Upvote 0
Ok so I tweeted Verizon about the update. They told me to dm them my MEID. I did. Bout hour later they called me on my phone. They asked the problem. I told them the 4.08 update failed gave me the space error. I cleared cache, rebooted pulled battery and continued to check for system update but it was saying up to date. He told me that was because the phone downloaded the update sjust didn't install it. So when checking for system update the MEID is showing the phone still has the update. He told me to power off phone and then hold the power button and volume down button till a menu comes up and the hit the vol down button to get to the h boot. He said this should install the update hopefully. He asked to dm them the results. I have no clue if this will cause harm to the phone or cause me to loose all my data. He did tell me to do a back up of course just don't know if its worth it. Thoughts? Sorry could see what I was typing if some of this does not make sense.

Did nothing for me.

Upvote 0
Several people here have posted that a factory reset allowed them to get the 2nd update. Unfortunately this might be the solution.

Not sure if everyone understands but update #1 is the main gingerbread update and is almost 90MB in size. The 2nd update is very small, only 8 MB, the 2nd update corrects screen size to 3.7 instead of 4.3 and fixes the marketplace to Verizon app store instead of Sprint.

Upvote 0

Where were you 5 minutes ago.:rolleyes: I went with the nuclear option. Now jumping through all the hoops of a new phone. Call to activate, update, entering WiFi passwords, logging in to emails, . . . . . . . .

Now have 4.08.605.2

Contacts are back (from Google and backed up to SD card). Music all there (~9GB), photos as well. Next to install appbrain and sync my apps. Then download purchased apps. Then recover text messages. And emails. And get wifi access. Crap, just realized I lost all my remembered wifi locations (some need passwords I dont have). And......

Reactions: notbitter
Upvote 0
I have been having this same problem for last few days, gmail would not sync and the ota update failed because of "low space". I went in and moved everything that I could to the Sd card, still nothing. I figured that I would try to eliminate some apps, started with the newest one first...K9 email app, deleted it and within 10 seconds the error message in the notification bar went away and my gmail notification went off and I received 14 old emails that I couldn't get to refresh on my phone previously. I do find it weird that if this app was the problem it just started now, I've had it for about a week now and this problem just started 2 days ago. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones