• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the Epic?
it's a 1Ghz cpu and the Droid X has a gpu too. on paper that may say "better", but in the real world, that device doesn't make our phone obsolete. c'mon now.

and the cpu being manufactured by someone else other than qualcomm, offering a very minimal performance increase (you wouldn't even notice), most certainly doesn't make it better.

the Epic also has a physical keyboard. just like the Droid X, you'd be grasping at straws when trying to say it's a vastly superior phone, making ours old news. it would be like comparing dark red to red.

our phone will be obsolete when another 4G phone, be it WiMax or LTE, with front facing cam, 8mp or above main cam, upgraded screen and res (Super AMOLED/AMOLED 4.3+ with a res higher than 800x480), all touch screen, and a processor of 1.5Ghz and above, gets released. it has to meet all of these specs. so far, nothing in the near future has been announced. the Epic comes close, but no cigar.

until then, i don't wanna hear anything about the Evo being obsolete. i guarantee you, anything with the above specs won't get released until 2011. anyone care to wager?

Real world had already showed that the hummingbird processor with the separate GPU is already faster and also producing a much better UI experience. Gaming will be vastly superior aswell. Talking megapixels is pointless as the Iphone 4 has showed with its superior camera.

Upvote 0
Real world had already showed that the hummingbird processor with the separate GPU is already faster and also producing a much better UI experience. Gaming will be vastly superior aswell. Talking megapixels is pointless as the Iphone 4 has showed with its superior camera.

faster? really? how much? how many flops faster? no one knows! comparing a 1Ghz to another 1Ghz is pretty pointless. lets be real here.

oh, and the Evo does have a GPU...

and i'm a real gamer. i don't game on phones lol. a cellphone will never match a 2Gb ATI HD 5850. as long as i have something like that lying around...why do it on a cellphone man?

regarding mp, you knew what i meant.

i swear, i think some people just want the Evo to be obsolete. they dig and dig and dig for any little spec that's better. why?

iunno about you guys, but i want a significant increase in specs
ie Hero vs Evo. now that's what i'm talking about. something where any one, even someone who knows very little about tech, could look at something and say, "uh yeah, that phone just got steam rolled by this one."

Upvote 0
The Epic is already coming out and it already boasts a better cpu plus a gpu.

The EVO uses a Snapdragon 8650 and therefore already has a gpu -

Snapdragon 8650=Scorpion Core plus (AMD Z430 GPU plus 600 MHz DSP)

All of these phones use a technology called System on a Chip (SoC) - NONE of them have a separate GPU. It's all on ONE chip, in one package.

the Epic?
it's a 1Ghz cpu and the Droid X has a gpu too. on paper that may say "better", but in the real world, that device doesn't make our phone obsolete. c'mon now.

and the cpu being manufactured by someone else other than qualcomm, offering a very minimal performance increase (you wouldn't even notice), most certainly doesn't make it better.

Qualcomm News and Events - Press Releases - Qualcomm Acquires Handheld Graphics and Multimedia Assets from AMD

Few of these chips necessarily come from where people think they do - they're cross-licensed and mass produced from all over.

The Snapdragons in our EVOs are actually made by TSMC - and I'd just as soon have chips in devices I own made by them as much as anyone - actually, more so.

PS - before anyone needs to ask, if you're interested:

Qualcomm Reveals Details on Scorpion Core

Reactions: ARR22
Upvote 0
faster? really? how much? how many flops faster? no one knows! comparing a 1Ghz to another 1Ghz is pretty pointless. lets be real here.

oh, and the Evo does have a GPU...

and i'm a real gamer. i don't game on phones lol. a cellphone will never match a 2Gb ATI HD 5850. as long as i have something like that lying around...why do it on a cellphone man?

regarding mp, you knew what i meant.

i swear, i think some people just want the Evo to be obsolete. they dig and dig and dig for any little spec that's better. why?

iunno about you guys, but i want a significant increase in specs
ie Hero vs Evo. now that's what i'm talking about. something where any one, even someone who knows very little about tech, could look at something and say, "uh yeah, that phone just got steam rolled by this one."
No really pointless...try comparing an Intel 2ghz cpu to an AMD 2ghz cpu, Its not about the speed frequency but the architecture.

Oh and the Evo does not have a dedicated GPU - its integrated into the CPU...;)

Upvote 0
The EVO uses a Snapdragon 8650 and therefore already has a gpu -

Snapdragon 8650=Scorpion Core plus (AMD Z430 GPU plus 600 MHz DSP)

All of these phones use a technology called System on a Chip (SoC) - NONE of them have a separate GPU. It's all on ONE chip, in one package.

Qualcomm News and Events - Press Releases - Qualcomm Acquires Handheld Graphics and Multimedia Assets from AMD

Few of these chips necessarily come from where people think they do - they're cross-licensed and mass produced from all over.

The Snapdragons in our EVOs are actually made by TSMC - and I'd just as soon have chips in devices I own made by them as much as anyone - actually, more so.

PS - before anyone needs to ask, if you're interested:

Qualcomm Reveals Details on Scorpion Core

thanks for posting that info regarding the GPU for others. now maybe some will get off that.

and regarding the second part, that was only in response to others saying the Hummingbird is faster or whatever. i don't think there's been benchmarks to prove so. but, even if it is, it'll be a marginal increase. maybe people are looking for bragging rights or something? not sure

Upvote 0
No really pointless...try comparing an Intel 2ghz cpu to an AMD 2ghz cpu, Its not about the speed frequency but the architecture.

as above said regarding the GPU, they allllllllllllllllllllll are.

you're right, it is about architecture. but these are cellphones, not full sized desktop computers. again, the performance will be marginal at best.

personally, i don't care. i hate sliders. i've said that around here before. i'll be waiting on a phone with the specs i listed above. nothing less will make me upgrade. period.

Upvote 0
I think they should focus on what's around the corner, like getting Froyo 2.2 on the EVO, Droid X, etc, before talking about Gingerbread, and the newest Android devices with mind blowing specs. Makes me feel like my phone will be old in a couple of months, while newer devices are shipping with 3.0, all the while I'm only 5-6 months into a new 2 year contract. what happen to the Recession? Did it end? Is America back on top, and can the average person jump in and update their device by spending $500 on a new phone. or will Sprint let us all upgrade...lol!

To be honest, I do a good job of keeping up with the times, and technology. However I just got the EVO on June 4th, and now their talking about the next operating system that comes after the one I don't even have yet? And talking about it being available around Christmas time of 2010? Truth be told , that's fine, just throw it out there that, Our Most Recent Flag Ship Sprint Android Phone will be able to receive Gingerbread. But first ill take some Froyo please..

Upvote 0
as above said regarding the GPU, they allllllllllllllllllllll are.

you're right, it is about architecture. but these are cellphones, not full sized desktop computers. again, the performance will be marginal at best.

personally, i don't care. i hate sliders. i've said that around here before. i'll be waiting on a phone with the specs i listed above. nothing less will make me upgrade. period.
x2 no slider for me.

Upvote 0

Incorrect. NONE of these phones have their GPU integrated into the CPU - the GPU is on the same chip as the CPU, the DSP and other units - it's called SoC. The individual units are typically side-by-side each other.

Even the Droid X's processor is that way:

http://focus.ti.com/graphics/wtbu/blockdiagrams/omap36x.gif

OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP36x

Note - both links from TI.

So, no - the GPU is not integrated IN to the CPU - it sits next to it, on the same silicon - OMAP, Snapdragon, Hummingbird - they are all SoC.

And that's a good thing - the performance is significantly enhanced per dollar spent that way, while also saving on form factor and usually power requirements - exactly why they do it that way.

Even true for the dual-CPU 1.5 GHz Snapdragon 8672.

By the way - you might wish to read the link on the Scorpion Core in the previous post.

Reactions: ARR22
Upvote 0
Mobile technology embodied in these SoC packages is truly phenomenal. Face it - we've all prolly owned desktops with less horsepower.

I can throw techwordz arond 'til the cows come home - but why?

Will there someday exist a phone OS for which ALL of today's processors are shown to be flatly inadequate?

Yes.

I can even explain how and why to a certain degree, but the answer will remain - yes.

Does it make a lot of sense getting upset about g'bread predictions?

Well - not to me.

Curiosity, yes; upset, no.

Upvote 0
I am curious to see how 2.2 will run on the EVO with its 30fps cap =/

The cap is artificial - HTC finally admitted it was about power management, is changeable by them, and is under study for an upgrade.

I'd just as soon they make the cap a user-selectable option - not everyone needs it or cares, and could use the extra power savings.

In such a case, I'd expect the Evo to run pretty much the same as the Nexus One - same processor (except for different-carrier radio support), similar enough architectures.

Otherwise - it's going to run like a Nexus One with a 30 fps cap. :D

Reactions: zense
Upvote 0
The cap is artificial - HTC finally admitted it was about power management, is changeable by them, and is under study for an upgrade.

I'd just as soon they make the cap a user-selectable option - not everyone needs it or cares, and could use the extra power savings.

In such a case, I'd expect the Evo to run pretty much the same as the Nexus One - same processor (except for different-carrier radio support), similar enough architectures.

Otherwise - it's going to run like a Nexus One with a 30 fps cap. :D

i agree. i think it would be smart to make it so the user could toggle something like that. not sure why they didn't do that in the first place :thinking:

Upvote 0
All these new features & added processing power is welcomed, but...what about how this is going to impact battery life??? SMH

From Engadget: " Google will be laying down the law with some hardcore hardware specs to run 3.0, demanding a minimum of a 3.5-inch display, a 1GHz processor, and 512MB of RAM...

How about "LAYING DOWN THE LAW" with some newer/longer battery technology to go along with these "MINIMUM" specs!

How do you spell fuel cell?

Upvote 0
OMG, EVO has not got the Froyo yet, and now were talking about gingerbread. We should get the FROYO Now, what are they waiting for? It seems that by the time we get FROYO, we all going to be talking about Gingerbread. Please give us FROYO, let us enjoy it, Sprint or HTC, let us get FROYO already!

The Moment bypassed 1.6 and 2.0 and jumped directly to 2.1. Granted it was a long (relative term) wait, but I guess it's just a matter of what your willing to wait for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones