• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im running the official Evo GB leak and honestly there isnt much difference from froyo. Most of the changes are on the developers side but as far as performance differences, very minimal. A few different menus and the battery is about the same. Cant really use one of the SBC kernels yet because they break the camera.

Same here. The only really notable difference that I have seen is the copy/paste and text editing. It is a lot more like iOS, which got it spot on IMO. The cursor is much more easily movable, there is actually a copy and paste (don't need to go through a bunch of menus), and text is overall much more easy to select IMO.

If there are no other differences and benefits, as much typing as I do on the phone, I find that one little bit of polish worth the update.

Upvote 0
Which one?

When we first started talking about it here, we were talking about Sense 2 (and that's very cool).

Now the Evo 3D, Sensation and Flyer (View on Sprint) tablet are getting Sense 3 (even cooler).

I think Sense 3 is going to be too much for the earlier phones, from what little I've read - can't know if that's true or propaganda yet.

Upvote 0
This thread started in June of 2010. It is more than a little silly that Evo users are still running 2.2.

I bought my Evo a couple of weeks ago because I lost my Blackberry and I've admired the phone. I have to admit to slight buyer's remorse that it is not further along as a platform ... and seems to be on the way out.

I know this is late, but you do realize that this speculation thread was started back when the evo was running 2.1. a little over a month later we moved to 2.2 and then 2.2 got another 2 updates.

look at the title, back then they didn't even know what to call gingerbread as far as software number.

no worries it will come.

Upvote 0
I'm running GB 2.3.3 via CM7. It has been much smoother than any Sense-based ROM I've ever configured (Including the one on your sig EarlyMon), so if you're rooted, I would definitely suggest giving the latest stable CM7 a try. The CM functionality is pretty isolated, so you can choose not to use much of it (like me) and enjoy a very AOSP experience.

I used to be a rooted stock HTC ROM (w/ custom kernel) user. CM7 changed my outlook. But the only reason I decided to give it a try was because I heard that everything was working. And indeed everything works.

I've removed my dependency on HTC widgets long ago when I started to favor ADW launcher over Sense's launcher. So switching to AOSP was easy. And the fact that CM uses ADW as the default launcher made it even better for me.

There were some Sense-based system sounds that I missed, so I copied those onto the CM filesystem. Now I'm right at home.

GB is mainly a polish release. Lots of usability enhancements, a little bit of aesthetic improvement, especially in the status bar (hated the old AOSP look). Stock apps are improved, especially the dialer.

I'm also looking forward to a BT mouse cursor. I suspect it may never come to the Evo though.

So yeah. Flash CM7 and get a proper taste of Gingerbread. If you don't like it, well... then you won't care as much when it officially arrives on the Evo. Maybe :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm running GB 2.3.3 via CM7. It has been much smoother than any Sense-based ROM I've ever configured (Including the one on your sig EarlyMon), so if you're rooted, I would definitely suggest giving the latest stable CM7 a try. The CM functionality is pretty isolated, so you can choose not to use much of it (like me) and enjoy a very AOSP experience.

I used to be a rooted stock HTC ROM (w/ custom kernel) user. CM7 changed my outlook. But the only reason I decided to give it a try was because I heard that everything was working. And indeed everything works.

I've removed my dependency on HTC widgets long ago when I started to favor ADW launcher over Sense's launcher. So switching to AOSP was easy. And the fact that CM uses ADW as the default launcher made it even better for me.

There were some Sense-based system sounds that I missed, so I copied those onto the CM filesystem. Now I'm right at home.

GB is mainly a polish release. Lots of usability enhancements, a little bit of aesthetic improvement, especially in the status bar (hated the old AOSP look). Stock apps are improved, especially the dialer.

I'm also looking forward to a BT mouse cursor. I suspect it may never come to the Evo though.

So yeah. Flash CM7 and get a proper taste of Gingerbread. If you don't like it, well... then you won't care as much when it officially arrives on the Evo. Maybe :)

Yeah I know about CM7 and thats one
of the reasons I rooted I just figured if were going to get than I wouldnt have switch over. Adw is amazing and is what i have been using a month after getting my Evo. It really awesome with its movable interchangeable docks. But I figured GB has to have it since Ive seen thr Galaxy S with a mouse pointer. And we realy are in delay of getting gb.

Upvote 0
Yea, I was wrong about that but people swearing that a dual core processor is going to make a phone much faster than a single core by default are not correct.

Take it back to the Evo 3D forum, where people can answer to whatever it means, "by default" - let's just keep this one about the speculation for the official GB update for the Evo, and the occasional CM7 reference as a natural consequence of that.

When you get to the 3D forum, be sure to see the new posts on that subject.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones