• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Upvote 0
I'm curious to know something regarding gingerbread on the Evo. Obviously gingerbread is a very small upgrade from froyo, that being said many of the few new features of gingerbread (mainly aesthetics) dont seem like they will be applied to the Evo. Obviously the new dock won't be seen on the Evo because of sense, but I wonder if sense will also get in the way of other visual improvements. For example, the menu changed from white to black, the notification bar is slightly changed, etc. Also, one of the new features of gingerbread is the new android keyboard, but sense phones don't come with the android keyboard in the first place, so my concern is that the upgrade to gingerbread is already so small, but sense getting in the way of a few features can make it even smaller. Thats why I believe that including an updated version of sense along with the update to gingerbread was so important. Hopefully gingerbread will be well worth the wait.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain the difference between "Gingerbread" and what we already have?

It might have been faster to just search the web for this information... ;)
Some of the features that gingerbread is supposed to bring are:
Faster speed.
Better Android battery life
Better application management
An updated user interface (sense will overwrite that)
A new keyboard
Improved cut-and-paste
Easier file management
Better camera management
Near Field Communication (NFC) (EVO won't benefit from it - unless you get a NFC equipped microSD card)
SIP based Internet calling

Upvote 0
Moved some posts to - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/347483-nfc-possible-evo.html

And also - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/347485-unrooted-backup-save-game-state.html

Can someone explain the difference between "Gingerbread" and what we already have?

YouTube - ‪Android 2.3 Official Video‬‏

They talk about garbage collection and games. Garbage collection is a programmers term that means: make better use of memory while the app is running and don't bloat up memory. It's not just for games.

That in turn (on any computer) tends to make things run a bit snappier.

Upvote 0
My ? Is will gingerbread be on the evo plate at midnight? If so what time zone cause I live on the east coast and iv been dying for this update especially since the p.o.s Droid x got it Friday!!! :( :( :( :(

Since it's being reported that "manual" updates will be available by tomorrow, it only takes a few seconds to check if you're up at midnight EST. If you're not up or don't feel like staying up, then you can check first thing when you wake up.

Upvote 0
Hey Early,

Feels good to be back in our "home" forums, eh? Can't believe it's been a year, and now once again, the Evo forums are buzzing because of this update.

Maybe you need to prep a "How to fix Gingerbread" thread! Don't worry, everyone; I only said that to anti-jinx us.

:)

Who says you can't go home again? I hang here a bit, marctronixx is the (often hidden) mod power holding it together here. ;)

I have it from reliable sources for other HTC phones who got the update in Europe already that it's the exact same as How to fix Froyo - therefore, I renamed the thread a few weeks ago in anticipation. :)

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo-any-rom-update.html

Truth is - if the Dalvik cache gets tangled or stale bits, it'll need a cleaning.

I make the backup/reset/restore part of my normal procedure for any rom swap or update.

For those unfamiliar:

Android is based on a desktop operating system called Linux.

On top of Linux, they added what we call a virtual machine - basically - a computer inside a computer. This is called the Dalvik Virtual Machine or the Dalvik VM.

Android apps are very tiny, relatively speaking. They run inside the Dalvik VM, and rely on tried and true Linux services for the heavy lifting (this is why you can seem to exit your music app, but music is still playing, or why mail continues to download when you're not running mail so far as you know).

The Linux side is fine, hardly changes.

When you upgraded to Froyo, you got new software for your Dalvik VM - but the old Dalvik memory areas are left behind, often corrupted, and not properly cleaned up by the installation.

The factory reset cleans up those stale, tangled, goofed-up, compatible-with-Eclair memory areas.

That makes your apps straighten up and fly right.

And when apps straighten up and fly right, Froyo runs faster and actually uses LESS cpu to run the same apps you've been running - so you should see battery life improve in most cases.

Hope that makes sense.

Substitute any two Android revisions and it's still true.

Reactions: Evo and novox77
Upvote 0
My wife has an unrooted white evo, I got my evo the first day it came out (i am rooted). But its weird because last time sprint pushed out an OTA (the crappy blockbuster,nova update) her phone had the option to upgrade the OTA about 12 hours before mine did....

(I was unrooted at the time of that OTA)

Upvote 0
Last warning - do NOT accept the OTA if you're rooted!!! Wait for the equivalent to get posted on XDA!!!

if you are rooted.. and you take the ota...

1. you might loose root.
2. you might have software issues.. and not boot or force closes.
3. cant fix because you lost root.. no access to nandroid backups.
4. might have to wait. for a new root method to fix your issues.

so.. wait a short time.. for a dev to bring out a safe ROM.
if you have to have the OTA... find the RUU and unroot and put it back to stock first.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones