1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root gingerbread and task killers....whats the verdict?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by acidrane, Feb 4, 2011.

1. acidrane

acidrane Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    los angeles
    i've always used ATK even with froyo. tho with froyo i had it set up to kill itself as well. how does GB stand with ATK? thoughts? opinions?

Advertisement

2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have always been a firm believer that you do not use task killers at all with Android. Android handles apps in the background just fine. There may be a rouge app every now and then that needs killing but you can do that from the Settings menu if needed.

Task killers actually can have an adverse effect on the phone and how it performs as it kills apps that need to run in the background. If you want to manage how agressively Android handles how background apps are killed you can use something like Autokiller, which isn't a task killer it simply allows you to tell the system how agressively apps should be monitored.

NiceGuysFinishLast likes this.
  3. acidrane

acidrane Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    los angeles
    interesting...do you have any idea how to use it? lol. it seems a bit complicated.

4. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    It can be a bit overwelming at first. I would suggest sticking with one of the presets for now the Moderate preset works very well. Also the Developer's website explains how it works and what it does pretty well I would suggest checking that out too.

5. acidrane

acidrane Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    los angeles
    now i understand...seems much better and easier. just gotta get use to not hitting ATK before turning off the screen! lol

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    I still feel as though this is the best approach. Just let android do it's thing. Even UD's 'keepfree' scripts can have an adverse effect.

7. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    FL
    Autokiller is a GREAT app.. But I stopped using it, and haven't really noticed a performance increase on my phone, either. I used to keep my settings at 150, 170, and 180.. I almost never had less than 200MB free RAM.. But I've found that as long as I keep that number above 75MB or so, I never really have an issue.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Director of IT
    Cleveland, OH
    Since Froyo was released, the need for ATK was reduced tremendously. And perhaps, even more-so with Gingerbread. But I still use it at least once a day. I see no harm in it. I do not let it run all the time. I use the widget to kill apps (including itself) when I think the phone's running a little slow. Boosts it back to normal with one tap. And, I especially use ATK when I'm going to shoot video, or take several pics. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'm an IT guy, and I've read all of the articles about how Android manages apps. But I live in reality. And my reality tells me that when my phone is running a bit sluggishly, one tap of the ATK widget and it's all good again. ;)

Currently testing Autokiller ... my verdict is still out.

9. smacky

None

Jan 11, 2010
    I used to use Advanced Task Killer (Arguably, the best one out there) prior to FroYo and it worked well. With FroYo, I saw no speed increases. What it turned out to be instead was cache. So I now have CacheMate running and use its widget or have it autoclean every few hours. With a day's use, I get about 12 MB of cache stored up and clearing it definitely helps.

It may be hard to believe, but at 800 Mhz, my phone never lags.

10. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    texas
    cachemate++

11. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    I use System Panel (lite/paid). It's a little bit more involved and gives you some more data. Rarely do I actually use it to kill apps though. Yesterday I used it for the first time in a while since my NFL app seemed to freeze up. I agree with the above post that cache cleaners (there are a bunch) can speed things up even more. The verdicts still out on whether it helps/harms/doesn't affect your phone, so to each their own.

12. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Bloomer, WI
    +1 for CacheMate as well as the lack of lag on my phone. In fact, the fastest my phone has ever felt was when running stock UD 2.5 @800Mhz. And anytime I felt things were slowing down, all it took was a simple click of CacheMate to take care of it.