• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gingerbread and task killers....whats the verdict?

I have always been a firm believer that you do not use task killers at all with Android. Android handles apps in the background just fine. There may be a rouge app every now and then that needs killing but you can do that from the Settings menu if needed.

Task killers actually can have an adverse effect on the phone and how it performs as it kills apps that need to run in the background. If you want to manage how agressively Android handles how background apps are killed you can use something like Autokiller, which isn't a task killer it simply allows you to tell the system how agressively apps should be monitored.

Reactions: NiceGuysFinishLast
Upvote 0
I have always been a firm believer that you do not use task killers at all with Android. Android handles apps in the background just fine. There may be a rouge app every now and then that needs killing but you can do that from the Settings menu if needed.

Task killers actually can have an adverse effect on the phone and how it performs as it kills apps that need to run in the background. If you want to manage how agressively Android handles how background apps are killed you can use something like Autokiller, which isn't a task killer it simply allows you to tell the system how agressively apps should be monitored.

interesting...do you have any idea how to use it? lol. it seems a bit complicated.

Upvote 0
interesting...do you have any idea how to use it? lol. it seems a bit complicated.

It can be a bit overwelming at first. I would suggest sticking with one of the presets for now the Moderate preset works very well. Also the Developer's website explains how it works and what it does pretty well I would suggest checking that out too.

Upvote 0
It can be a bit overwelming at first. I would suggest sticking with one of the presets for now the Moderate preset works very well. Also the Developer's website explains how it works and what it does pretty well I would suggest checking that out too.

now i understand...seems much better and easier. just gotta get use to not hitting ATK before turning off the screen! lol

Upvote 0

Task killers actually can have an adverse effect on the phone and how it performs as it kills apps that need to run in the background.

I still feel as though this is the best approach. Just let android do it's thing. Even UD's 'keepfree' scripts can have an adverse effect.

Upvote 0
Since Froyo was released, the need for ATK was reduced tremendously. And perhaps, even more-so with Gingerbread. But I still use it at least once a day. I see no harm in it. I do not let it run all the time. I use the widget to kill apps (including itself) when I think the phone's running a little slow. Boosts it back to normal with one tap. And, I especially use ATK when I'm going to shoot video, or take several pics. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'm an IT guy, and I've read all of the articles about how Android manages apps. But I live in reality. And my reality tells me that when my phone is running a bit sluggishly, one tap of the ATK widget and it's all good again. ;)

Currently testing Autokiller ... my verdict is still out.

Upvote 0
I used to use Advanced Task Killer (Arguably, the best one out there) prior to FroYo and it worked well. With FroYo, I saw no speed increases. What it turned out to be instead was cache. So I now have CacheMate running and use its widget or have it autoclean every few hours. With a day's use, I get about 12 MB of cache stored up and clearing it definitely helps.

It may be hard to believe, but at 800 Mhz, my phone never lags.

Upvote 0
I use System Panel (lite/paid). It's a little bit more involved and gives you some more data. Rarely do I actually use it to kill apps though. Yesterday I used it for the first time in a while since my NFL app seemed to freeze up. I agree with the above post that cache cleaners (there are a bunch) can speed things up even more. The verdicts still out on whether it helps/harms/doesn't affect your phone, so to each their own.

Upvote 0
I used to use Advanced Task Killer (Arguably, the best one out there) prior to FroYo and it worked well. With FroYo, I saw no speed increases. What it turned out to be instead was cache. So I now have CacheMate running and use its widget or have it autoclean every few hours. With a day's use, I get about 12 MB of cache stored up and clearing it definitely helps.

It may be hard to believe, but at 800 Mhz, my phone never lags.

+1 for CacheMate as well as the lack of lag on my phone. In fact, the fastest my phone has ever felt was when running stock UD 2.5 @800Mhz. And anytime I felt things were slowing down, all it took was a simple click of CacheMate to take care of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones