• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread and WiFi

Hi All,

I can see that there has been some chatter on this subject in the past but no real solutions.

My wifi works ok until I get to the edge of connection, ie down to one bar or less. Before I updated I would still get connection but I had to point my phone towards the door! Now it drops connection and goes on to 3g.

I have set a static IP address but this didn't help (would having a static IP address affect how I would connect to free wifi elsewhere?).

Has any one any new ideas?

I only updated to Gingerbread from the HTC site on the 4-8-11.

On the plus side Gingerbread seems to have sorted the judery recording on HD video!

Cheers All
Thank you for reading.

After upgrading to Gingerbread I faced the same issue, but the static IP setting resolved the issue. Anyway I use wifi only at home and don't intend to connect to any other wifi.

But I'm facing a new issue with the battery, this upgrade was suppose to increase the battery life, but my battery is getting drained too fast. Yesterday night it was at 50% and I had no application running, no wifi, even then my battery showed around 10% today morning. I will start a seperate thread for that.

Thanks,
Hemanth.

Upvote 0
Try moving the hub slightly, it sounds obvious but I know in my room if I get my hub in the correct position I get about 70% signal. If I move it so much as 2 inches to the left, it drops to about 40%. So try that.

It's unlikely using a static IP would have any side-effects elsewhere, but it could happen.

Without root, there is very little you can do. Normally, I would advise things like try a different kernal, but you can't do that as the update to GB from HTC permanently removed root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones