1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Gingerbread Backup Whoopsy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whereinsussex, Jul 30, 2011.

1. whereinsussex

whereinsussex Newbie
    None

OK, so my phone suggested that I connect it to my PC for the latest software - ie Gingerbread. So, remembering what I had to do last time (1.6 to 2.1) I did the "right" thing by making a backup using backup and restore, ticked the box to say that life was good and I understood I would lose "everything" on the phone that wasn't on the SD card and away we went.

So, everything installed ok, I then can't find "Backup and Restore" and can't find it in the market.... n'er mind, I'll "just download it from the Sony website" - so I do a quick Google, put the URL into my phone, download the application, get the message "Application not Installed".

A quick check online then tells me the truth: 2.3 Gingerbread does not support Sony's backup and restore!!!

This isn't a complete show stopper - I have my contacts synced with Google Contacts (thank f***!) so that's all back, and I was using an archiver for my SMS messages, so I have them all but the last few weeks, but it would be nice to be able to access my recent text messages and the list of applications in the backup.

Does anyone know a way I can read and restore the SBF I created? The only way I can think to do it is to roll back to 2.1, restore, create a new backup using a third party piece of software, and then roll forward to 2.3 again - which seems a lot of effort.

I have tried looking for the something that will read the SBF, but I can't find anything.

Thanks

Steve

Advertisement

2. arkangeluk

arkangeluk Android Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010
    Male
    somewhere between here and there
    i think i read somewhere that you cant rewind to 2.1 then back to2.3. am trying to update my phone justnow

ric

3. whereinsussex

whereinsussex Newbie
    None

I did wonder if you could rollback "easily" (did suspect you couldn't without fiddling). I'm not going down that road anyway, so I think, unless something comes up where I can retrieve my old backup file, then I'll have to admit defeat.

Any recommendations for backing up my phone in the future?

4. rosered

rosered Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    UK
    I am a Moderator over on Sony Ericssons own forum and have stumbled across this problem this morning. I have raised it as a Technical Query and will also copy them in to your thread here too.

I am glad that you had the contacts synced. There is apparently a way to get your apps back by sending them from the market online but I haven't been able to figure it out altho one of my forum buddies on the other side who is in the US can so whether its me being dim!?

I know its shutting the stable door, but I use AppBrain online and on my phone to keep a list of my apps and have done for nearly a year. Then you just have to download the Appbrain app after a reset and resync with your online library and they are all there waiting for you.

5. whereinsussex

whereinsussex Newbie
    None

Thanks for that..... I'll be interested to know the reply.

My paid for apps (both of them!) were safe, as associated with my account, but the free ones didn't appear on the list. I know most of them, but there will always be a couple where you can't remember the exact name!

6. arkangeluk

arkangeluk Android Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010
    Male
    somewhere between here and there
    ok. i upgraded to 2.3 this morning and so far all seems well. have adw back got my contacts, music and pics back ok, just going through my apps now to see what i want to keep. used the method that was on the xda site to upgrade and it was quite easy really

ric

7. whereinsussex

whereinsussex Newbie
    None

I must admit I have been impressed with 2.3 vs 2.1..... for a start I can now view Flash files and download iPlayer, which is good, plus it seems faster, but that may slow down by the time I install a load of crap on it again!

The upgrade process was very smooth, just a shame they don't warn you that your SBF file will be worthless in 10 mins!

8. Funk #49

Funk #49 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    fericus likes this.
  9. x10iii

x10iii Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    there's an app called 'mybackup' in the market... it worked perfectly for me, so check it out

10. dariamoe

dariamoe Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    whereinsussex,

i faced the same problem just now, but i downloaded the Backup & restore from here X10_SE_Backup_And_Restore_v010935.apk

(downloaded Easy Installer from Market to install it)

and i was able to restore the .sbf file. hope this helps. :)

pfriesen, KevinCM, ishivji and 3 others like this.
  11. Merolas

Merolas Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    IT consultant
    Montreal
    there is no way to revert back to 2.1

Did the upgrade with flashtool and tried to revert back to 2.1 (because of some issues) and SEUS was telling me that i had the latest version and didnt not give me option to format.

Saved my contact to SD using the stock dialler

It restored everything perfert from the 1st try.... tried to do with 3rd party apps all i got was duplicate contacts

12. universalexports1962

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Sheffield, England
    I am on T-Mobile in the UK and the upgrade is not available yet.

However, I recently had to set my mobile to its factory settings and before hand took a picture of each of my five screens using my DSLR so that after downloading my apps from backup and restore I was able to remember which app went on which screen and in what order - a lifesaver.

13. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    Aylmer, Quebec

There should be a way to go back to 2.1 using the Flash tool, but you will have to find a X10a 2.1 ROM (go with a generic) and I'm not sure about this but you might have to flash an old baseband (also with the flash tool) if it's not automatic when you reinstall a 2.1 ROM.

You could try baseband 55.

14. jo2107

jo2107 Newbie
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Finance Reporting Assistant
    York
    @ dariamoe - Thanks so much for this, had backed up my app's on Astro so they were all fine but had lost texts as couldn't get my phone to sync with the SE page. Thanks to you link i have back up and restore back, much appreciated as it's a very handy bit of software!

15. fericus

fericus Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
  16. Merolas

None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    IT consultant
    Montreal
    now that is fixed, do somebody have the APK for the MediaScape...miss it already since 2.3

17. Dunc-x10

Dunc-x10 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Merolas likes this.
  18. Merolas

None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    IT consultant
    Montreal

I might have the 2.1 Rogers Branded FW somewhere....found it on XDA, but don't remember where i have put it.... even if Rogers release the 2.3 it might not let go my Wolfbreak's....so freaking fast

19. Merolas

None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    IT consultant
    Montreal
    It did not work :(

Too bad i will try some 3rd party apps

edit: it's ok to post it here, since it is not a warez site to get paid apps for free

20. Pottertons

Pottertons Member
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available.

21. ishivji

ishivji Lurker
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks for your help :)