• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread coming for the Nexus One

This is why the N1 is still the phone to have right now. I know there are phones with better specs (hardware wise) out there. Watch those other phone owners start to complain about why they still haven't gotten froyo after 3 months after we get gingerbread....lol.

But on a bad note, this is why android is a bit messy. not everyone is getting the same OS version at the same time. Damn those carriers (and some manufacturers)!!!

Upvote 0
I really can't wait to see the changes, and to see how the developer from Pre has made his mark on the OS. Since there's nothing to do but wait, I got a couple questions.

Is the developer version the same as the regular OS, and can it be used on any N1 or just a dev N1 (I mean without rooting)?

Upvote 0
It will roll out to both AT&T and T-Mobile versions at the same time, as they use identical software now.

If you think back to the 2.2 roll out, the "non-developers" got their hands on the dev OTA's (FRF50, FRF72 and FRF83) the same days they were pushed to the developers, so there wont be any waiting involved.

Upvote 0
So the rest of us "non-developers" have to wait till who knows when to get the pedestrian version. Also, is it going to roll out the way Froyo did, T-Mo owners first then AT&T owners? Cus that kinda sucked.

That's why I don't really get into this whole "getting the update soon!". It comes when it comes. Look at Froyo, they showed it at googles event and it still took a month to get it. I would bet that the T-Mo guys get it first, but just think, you will have it a lot sooner then anyone else with an android phone. People still don't have Froyo when we have been running it for months now! I can't wait to go spy on the other sub forums after gingerbread comes out and watch everyone ask/complain when they will be getting it.

Upvote 0
I really hope to see some changes in Android's stock music player. I haven't heard any news lately about the music service Google was going to offer so that makes me doubtful that we will see a change. I know there are plenty of options out there right now (using winamp), but I would still like to see a killer music player. Plus an update to Gtalk.

Upvote 0
They probably pushed it back along with Samsung's phone. This'll probably mean Gingerbread will be more polished by the time it's released. If software is in working state, they can rush the release to meet the hardware's release. But this doesn't mean that the software will be completely ready or final.
Let them work out the kinks some more... but not too long. I'm starting to feel the itch to tinker with my phone again :D

Upvote 0
Anybody even have an idea about what changes are in Gingerbread? I mean, if its a new home screen and thats it, I dont know what all the fuss can be about. I got caught up in all the craze about wanting Froyo but the only thing I think I got out of it was being able to use flash. Other than that I havent really noticed much else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones