• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread coming soon

No. It was more of a matter of it west the best of a number of poor choices at the time it was purchased. I only really considered a cellphone again when I happened across info about VMUSA plans and that they had a semi-passable "new" Android smartphone on another forum, and that it had builtin GPS relieving me of purchasing a bluetooth GPS datalogger as well. That was it. The phone was nothing to write home about, although it had a better GPU bolted on that it likely really needed but I'm guessing that Qualcomm only did that to save on licensing something from someone else, as they even only license the ARM architecture from ARM and roll their own CPU designs unlike many of the other ARM licensees who (seemingly) just blindly bolt ARM design blocks onto their SoCs.

Now the Triumph has some close to up-to-date specs and even more so because Qualcomm does their very own CPU design and their -A8 features some -A9 capabilities. Optimus black will be a step down from the MT in the specs department if only just because of the CPU alone. (Apparently you missed the threads about there being another screen protector layer on the MT, and it's definitely glass given it's heft v. the OV and say v. something of similar size an Archos A43IT which is VERY light compared to the MT and that DOES have a plastic screen.)

Gingerbread: some people would prefer an "official" build, and perhaps custom fw based off of an "official" build.

Sure, sure, sure ... I'll buy that :rolleyes:. Anyway, I did some reseach on the Optimus Black, from what I've read looks good but that's it. Triumph consistantly comes up with reports of having a low signal, not too good if I can't make and keep a call. I've heard about the "LG Esteem" coming to metro, (where I came from) looks good on paper, but that's what they said about the Triumph. For now the OV works great for me, I think it's a great little phone.

Upvote 0
I was over at XDA and the reviews are already out on LG's Gingerbread release. Have yall ever thought about installing a Gingerbread based ROM like The BACKside ROM (CM7)?

I'll wait for an official build pushed from VM. Unless of course it still screws up the call screen, in which case I won't update. :(

Upvote 0
I wasn't being very good at dropping a hint. Lets just say that I wouldn't think to much of there update before it comes out,that way yall wont be too let down. It's kind of like when we finally got the update for the market that was so anticipated. At least that's the way I took it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones