• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread Delayed for N1...Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If another phone is released with Gingerbread or a Gingerbread OTA goes to another phone before the N1 gets it then I can say that I probably will not get another Nexus phone. After all, isn't getting the newest updates first (other than Vanilla Android) the main reason for having a Nexus?
Yes my point exactly! That is the main selling point of the Nexus phones. I mean yeah, I understand that we're not first anymore but I expect us to be second. There were a few phones demoed in CES that were running Gingerbread. It'd be sad if those OEMs released their phones running Gingerbread before we get our OTA. If that happens, I guess we know the life expectancy of a Nexus phone :mad:

Upvote 0
I don't accept that there is any technical reason for the delay: Google have simply decided to give Samsung a good long clear run with the Nexus S the only 'pure' gingerbread phone.

As for those of us who shelled out good money for a Nexus One less than a year ago in the expectation of getting the latest soon after it was available? As far as Google is concerned we can just bend over and feel privileged to get shafted by the awesome 'not evil' Google.

Google is demonstrating the kind of honesty with it's customers we expect from Apple, and the kind of ethics we expect from Microsoft.

Reactions: calemon
Upvote 0
I don't accept that there is any technical reason for the delay: Google have simply decided to give Samsung a good long clear run with the Nexus S the only 'pure' gingerbread phone.

As for those of us who shelled out good money for a Nexus One less than a year ago in the expectation of getting the latest soon after it was available? As far as Google is concerned we can just bend over and feel privileged to get shafted by the awesome 'not evil' Google.

Google is demonstrating the kind of honesty with it's customers we expect from Apple, and the kind of ethics we expect from Microsoft.

Any bona fide evidence of this or just a general feeling of paranoia and persecution?

From what I've read about the Nexus S and the 2.3 updates on Rogers in Canada, I'd rather wait until the update was stable to reap the marginal benefits that 2.3 has over 2.2.

Upvote 0
What I want to know is why we haven't had all the beta / not final releases yet? With Froyo we had loads of pre release versions leaking out before the final release. For Gingerbread we've had nothing. Grrrrrrr. I have to just sit back and wait, I might try rooting, but I'm not sure if I'd lose access to some market stuff by running a non standard ROM.

Upvote 0
What I want to know is why we haven't had all the beta / not final releases yet? With Froyo we had loads of pre release versions leaking out before the final release. For Gingerbread we've had nothing. Grrrrrrr. I have to just sit back and wait, I might try rooting, but I'm not sure if I'd lose access to some market stuff by running a non standard ROM.
We're not the 'Guinea pigs' for the OS anymore...the Nexus S is. They are getting all of the issues with Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
Phone is not rooted, reason I got the OTA the first time, this is a pure dev phone. I am working on a project with some others for a group Android game and the Nexus One and several Android phone need to work together on it. I have 12 phones lined up on my desk for this project and luckily, I have several others in the house that can help me test the latest code. we're being funded by a private group of investors and we hope we can get this thing going.

Anyhow, still no update, called Google, gave them sone yappity yap on why I had to reflash, they are putting my IMEI back into the pool to get the update again. Will let you all know when it gets here.

I am also in the Dev Pool to get the Official Gingerbread Sense for the MyTouch 4G as well, but no ETA on that. I know there are some leaks, but I swore to my wife that since I am using this one as my daily phone, no rooting and flashing on this one. :D

Upvote 0
I dealt with HTC repair before on another issue and it was awful, not everyone has my problems with them but once bitten twice shy.

once-bitten,-twice-shy.jpg

But have you dealt with Nexus One support? It's incredible.

I bought a bootloader unlocked N1 on eBay (barely under warranty) and it rebooted constantly. Called up HTC support and they were understanding. Overnighted me a refurb replacement (I trust refurbs more cause they are tested to death).

Worked great but the screen had terrible burn-in. I could permanently see the Pandora buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Rang HTC again, they overnight another (perfect) replacement.

All this and I was not the original owner. Pretty good support if you ask me.

Oh, and where the hell is 2.3??????

Upvote 0
I dealth with the N1's customers support when it was ran by Google itself and had an excellent experience with them. I haven't dealth with HTC customer service since Google closed up shop on the N1 so I don't know how they are.

I am wondering out loud if Gingerbread will be the last update we get. The next big version of android will be Ice cream which looks like it will bring the big UI improvements that we all thought would be in Gingerbread. But the way they are rolling out GB to us it seems like we may be a second, third, or forth thought come that time.

Upvote 0
I dealth with the N1's customers support when it was ran by Google itself and had an excellent experience with them. I haven't dealth with HTC customer service since Google closed up shop on the N1 so I don't know how they are.
I thought that Google would take care of the OS support and HTC the hardware support. I guess HTC is doing both now?

I am wondering out loud if Gingerbread will be the last update we get. The next big version of android will be Ice cream which looks like it will bring the big UI improvements that we all thought would be in Gingerbread. But the way they are rolling out GB to us it seems like we may be a second, third, or forth thought come that time.
Yeah, it makes me hesitant about the Nexus line now. It seems that Google is showing its true colour about supporting an older model. I hope that's not the case but this is how it looks like so far. 3 months...3 bloody frigging cold months!!! haha, yeah kinda piss that GB isn't out for the N1 yet and I don't have one XD Just imagine how upset/vocal I'd be if I had my Nexus One. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones