• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread for Nexus One is out!!!!

you are a prince among jesters....or something. thank you.

Note: My phone took a VERY long time to reboot after, i got a little worried but let it play out. I'm talkin 3-4 minutes at the nexus animation screen.

That's very common for updates.
I'm so bummed out for working the entire day till midnight and my weekend is packed so no ginger for me until monday :/
Ok, I was never very excited about the gingerbread release but now that it's here, I want it! :p

Upvote 0
Awwwwwwwww, look who's bitter for not getting gingerbread! Haha jk :)

Is ice cream really going to be the next codename? Seems so plain for google standards.

Ice Cream or Ice Cream Sandwich apparently.

Nothing official though.

Well supposedly 2.4 is still 'Gingerbread' from the rumour mill, lol. I think by then, we'll be SICK of Gingerbread :p haha.

Upvote 0
Knew it would happen to me, I'm Vodafone UK. FRG83D build, not just FRG83....think its voda's own version...anyway followed the link above no problems but when tried to flash in recovery;
Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Opening
Verifying
E:failed to verify whole file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Now, I placed update.zip in /sdcard folder on its own. Can't seem to move it into the root folder using Astro. I think it can see the update as the above log seems to show. Is it vodafone and their meddling ways or is the update file in the wrong folder? Help guidance and most probably step by step destructions appreciated chaps :eek:

Upvote 0
Knew it would happen to me, I'm Vodafone UK. FRG83D build, not just FRG83....think its voda's own version...anyway followed the link above no problems but when tried to flash in recovery;
Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Opening
Verifying
Installation aborted

Now, I placed update.zip in /sdcard folder on its own. Can't seem to move it into the root folder using Astro. I think it can see the update as the above log seems to show. Is it vodafone and their meddling ways or is the update file in the wrong folder? Help guidance and most probably step by step destructions appreciated chaps :eek:

I'm not sure if its the same cause but I think that happened to me when I updated in the past. It turned out to be the file somehow winding up to be 'update.zip.zip' and fails the update.

When I updated to GB last night, I downloaded the file with the long alphanumerical file name off the linked site, renamed it 'update' and placed in the root of the sd card. Never added the '.zip' as it seems to add it on its own:thinking: Nevertheless, aside from that, I followed the update instructions that Mostly Harmless linked and it worked perfectly on the first try.

Good luck getting it squared away. I remember how worried I became when that happened to me on my first manual update:p

Reactions: minibee041
Upvote 0
Install from sdcard
Finding update package
Opening
Verifying
Installation aborted

Failed signature means that the file was changed somehow. Delete it and download it again.

Reactions: minibee041
Upvote 0
It turned out to be the file somehow winding up to be 'update.zip.zip' and fails the update.

That's because you are using windows and have it set to hide known file extensions. I never understood the logic of that. In file explorer got to tools>folder options (XP) or organize>Folder and search options (Vista & Windows 7) and go to the "view" tab and uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types". Then you won't get the double extension goofiness.

Reactions: Kurisu
Upvote 0
That's because you are using windows and have it set to hide known file extensions. I never understood the logic of that. In file explorer got to tools>folder options (XP) or organize>Folder and search options (Vista & Windows 7) and go to the "view" tab and uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types". Then you won't get the double extension goofiness.

Lol, oh my goodness I never realized that, how embarrassing:p That explains one of the many W7 head scratching moments in the past for this tech zero.

I received this pos E Machines W7 home edition a couple of years ago (1st 'new' pc since 2004) from a frustrated friend who was ready to toss it. After using nothing but my Mac for years, I thought I'd try fiddling with the latest Windows OS. Replaced and increased memory, replaced the HD and I've been using it since, often frustrated:D

I never realized this hide extension option, not that thats an excure:D Whats the point of hiding file extensions in Windows Explorer anyway, aesthetics?:thinking:

Thanks for taking the time to explain that for me Lunatic, much obliged;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones