1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gingerbread impressions/tips/problems NON ROOTED STOCK ONLY

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ndh777, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Crodley

Crodley Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    It's there, but we can't see it with our new update because it doesn't officially support gingerbread. A thread over on XDA had a link to the apk, but I can't recall where, sorry.

Advertisement

marctronixx and mclovin288 like this.
  2. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    2 things I've noticed on mine & may be applicable to you:

1) Did you leave enabled data on all the time before?
    *** Post update, it turned mine back on. So check there

2) Are you using any battery manager like Green Power?
    *** I know my GP broke since the GB update because it activates 3G data even when screen is locked - not the way it's suppose to be.
    Locked mean 3G off - unlock means 3G on.

3. cuellarm

cuellarm Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have seen amazing improvements in battery life when idle. Right now mine has been on battery for 1 day, 13 hours and 42 minutes with light to moderate use, and still 39% left. Stock and original battery. Evo from launch day.

Right now my only issue is that of the icons inside folders turning generic. Very smooth and fast otherwise. Happy camper!

drexappeal likes this.
  4. sikclown

sikclown Android Expert
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    Male
    Business Owner
    New Orleans, LA
    My battery life is crazy good now. Went to bed with 58% battery, got up 9 hours later and I was at 55% battery. I can live with the other little bugs.

drexappeal likes this.
  5. frankiepapa

frankiepapa Member
    None

May 15, 2010
    thanks for the info, this most likely includes the "wimax notifier" as well!!

6. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
    Just wanted to jump on the voicemail notifications bandwagon. I keep getting notified of voicemails (1 or 2 times daily) via the notification icon. I've cleared out both voicemail boxes (phone and visual voicemail) but my phone keeps insisting that a voicemail is awaiting my attention. The only solution that seems to (temporarily) work is manually clearing the notification icon in "Call" settings. It's annoying and I hope Sprint/HTC resolves this issue.

Other than that, my phone is noticeably faster at launching and exiting apps. My games run more smoothly. The subtle browser enhancements are much appreciated. Fortunately, I haven't experienced any major issues other than the voicemail notification icon.

I'm pleased, but ironically, this update has further reinforced my desire to move away from OEM-skinned devices towards the Nexus line. 2.3.3 is nice but I really wanted 2.3.4 so that I could finally use the Google Talk video chat. Ahh well, can't have it all right?

7. Jacobsdad

Jacobsdad Newbie
    None

Nov 21, 2010
    Physical Therapist
    Teaneck, NJ
    I've tried to manually update and it keeps on "checking". Did anyone else have this problem? Is there something else I should tryto do? I'm on 3G- WIFI is off. I have 80% battery. Any thoughts? Thanks!

8. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    While this does fix the Google Voice Search when you press and hold the magnify lens touch key on the bottom right of the EVO, it does not fix speech to text when you press the microphone icon in text messaging, websearch, gmail etc... weird....

9. jshurak

jshurak Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    I'm having issues with this too

10. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    I had to check to make sure I had free space, move a few apps to the SD card, power down, pull the battery, power up, and then it worked....

11. EVU

EVU Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    I actually made sure to test that when I first got the one anomaly I mentioned above.

I verified with the microphone icon next to the web search box up top right AND the microphone icon on the pop-up keyboard.

All three worked: 2 microphone icons & the magnifying glass key

My only advice is to uncheck & recheck the option setting for voice recognition & rebooting (I also did slow reboot not fast reboot).

12. ttugrad95

ttugrad95 Lurker
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    The update has completely jacked up my phone. Its not any faster, I haven't noticed improvement in battery life but have noticed an increase in charging time. Since the upgrade:
    About 50% of incoming voice calls are so garbled I can't understand what the caller is saying, but they can apparently understand me. I have to hang up and call them back.
    Sometime when exiting an app I get a white screen that says HTC while the screen refreshes...very annoying
    When taking a picture with a flash the flash timing appears to be off from the shutter so the photo does not benefit from the flash's lighting.
    Sometimes when a call is coming in the screen doesn't respond when I try to answer. Sometimes it will start responding before the call goes to VM, sometimes it doesn't.
    There have been a bunch of other random annoyances now when I use the caller ID for rocket dial it no longer replaces the stock answer screen so I have to answer the call twice.

13. firechicken

firechicken Newbie
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    This happened to me on the last update. I had to to do a factory reset to get the update. menu>settings>sd&phonestorage>factory data reset. Make sure you back up contacts and apps.

Hope this helps

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...48-no-3-70-651-1-maintence-update-yet-me.html

EarlyMon and Jacobsdad like this.
  14. xchapman

xchapman Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Since I installed Gingerbread on my Sprint HTC EVO Shoot Me is not functional. Is there another similar app that still works and will permit me to capture screen shots?

15. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    There are host of ills that occur when the parts of the Dalvik Virtual Machine gets stale bits between updates.

This is a problem with all Android phones, and they need to fix the update process.

Meanwhile - this is likely to cure most or all of the problems you're seeing -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...how-fix-froyo-gingerbread-any-rom-update.html

16. Jacobsdad

Jacobsdad Newbie
    None

Nov 21, 2010
    Physical Therapist
    Teaneck, NJ
    Maybe I'll wait! Yikes!
    I appreciate the recommendation Firechicken. Many thanks!

17. cincylaw

cincylaw Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Attorney
    Peoria, IL
    Since GB update, my battery life seems worse. Much worse, and I don't think it is just because I'm running updates to apps and that sort of thing.

Also, it screwed up several of my contacts. For example, it shows a friend's FB image but has the wrong name. The wrong named person now shows up twice--once as the right person, and once as the wrong.

Another issue--I use Winamp as my music player. I also have Doubletwist mostly for converting videos when I download them from my PC. When I am in my car and use Bluetooth radio, they both start playing music, when before, only my Winamp would play when connected. Is there somewhere you set the preferred/default music player?

I had the same issues with Handcent and notifications, and the generic Android image showing up for apps but I just deleted them off of my home screens and replaced them again.

Hope a supplemental update will fix this minor stuff.

18. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    Attorney
    I can use my bluetooth controls on my headset just fine with the Mixxing player.

19. sikclown

sikclown Android Expert
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    Male
    Business Owner
    New Orleans, LA
    I can't be sure but... were you using Facebook Contact sync via the App and not via Sense? if so Gingerbread removed the ability for Facebook app to sync contacts with Android contacts, something to do with Facebook not allowing contacts to be saved to a csv or something like that. Thsi could have screwed up your contacts when they turned this off. Sense syncing still works though.

20. r8r.rich

r8r.rich Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    I cant

21. drummer1422

drummer1422 Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Now when I type in a name of a band, and hit play I get MEXICAN Videos...Problem is Im typing in American Rock Bands...Anyone know of a GREAT Music Video App that may work with this 2.3? Thanks Liking JetVD, but its having problems now too...

22. marctronixx

Oct 12, 2009
    34.0522° N, 118.2437° W
    All,

netflix has issues with 2.3 this has been discussed many times in this thread. follow netflix tweets for the updates or watch the netflix thread on this forum.

the netflix app has been pulled due to issues. you can also search this thread (there is a handy search feature top right) for any other discussions.
    I just dont want you folks to think no one is listening to you.. :)

avid3d likes this.
  23. M5Rahul

M5Rahul Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    DFW TX
    Updated, did a hard reset and everything's working great!! Battery life has improved drastically and phone is overall very snappy!!

No issues with calls or RF!

So far so good!

24. stl-steelers

stl-steelers Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    ================================

I noticed in settings > about phone > hardware information: wifi is labeled as 802.11 b/g. I dont remember if it should up as N in froyo.

25. s_special

s_special Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    socal
    yahoo video chat is messed up after the GB update. no support for front cam and seems very buggy on the rear cam. :(

Tags: