• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread impressions/tips/problems NON ROOTED STOCK ONLY

No problems here. I assume its because I have nothing but quality coded apps on my phone. Handcent is causing problems for some people, an app I don't have. Then I think somevpeople downloaded the update via 3G, which isn't a good idea. I always update via wifi if possible.

I told my friend about the update today and I texted her through thr process. She isnt having any problems either.

Upvote 0
Pandora seems like it's not working correctly...and another thing I noticed...and the font for the 3G icon in the taskbar is different.

When you put in ##DATA# and look at the advanced settings, Some of the settings are gone. For example, RTSP Proxy Address & Port are gone as is HTTP proxy and port.

Hey guys, didn't see a response to this so I'm chipping in... The settings for the RSTP/HTTP proxy and port are there. Advanced--> Scroll all the way down--> RTSP/HTTP Setting.

Also, I zeroed out the RTSP proxy address and port today, I noticed a bit of a difference while running Pandora. Although probably unrelated to the change in settings, one of the major things I noticed was that if I opened Pandora and left it open and didn't go back to my home screen it played just fine, it also worked fine if I opened it and hit the lock screen button. When I opened it and went back to my home screen or anywhere other than Pandora itself, it would pause/delay loading the next song until I clicked back on it. Which leads me to believe the app is having issues running in the background ? idk, might a dev question/issue. Anywho, hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0
Ok, so I got some time to do my factory reset.

Saved all my pics and shnit from the sd card to my pc. Then formatted the sd, just to be safe.

Did my factory reset. Resynced with google. Added my pics and shnit back to the sd. redownloaded all my apps one by one, excluding some i never used.

The good:
- The old evo is running faster than ever. It scrolls and slides screans much faster and smoother.
- The battery is lasting around 4 or 5 hours more with the same sort of use as normal.
- Seems like less apps running all the time in running apps. more ram available.
- I only left out about ten apps, none being that large and most being movable to the sd. Now with everything installed and going it has about 250mb of internal storage left rather than 70 to 80mb. hmm??
- It start up faster from power on then it ever did. went from 3 to 4 mins to 1.5 to 2. This is not using the fast boot either, thats like 45 seconds.
- everything just seems to load faster and smoother.

The bad:
- still getting no icon in folders on the apps that are on my sd card as before the factory reset. (they are the generic android icon) switching to a different scene then back fixes them.
- A few apps I really like(juice defender, tubemate, mp3music download, music wizard) are now not compatible and don't show in the market. On the web market it shows them but says they are incompatible.
- the gps notification still acts up.

Other than that, the EVO is working great! These are minor annoyances compared to the benefits so far. Hope they fix these issues soon so it can be working Awesome.

Upvote 0
My Evo was acting strange after downloading update last Saturday. I removed the SD card and did a hard reset. Downloaded apps again from both Goggle and Amazon. After playing plants an zombies for some time my phone became very unresponsive so I had to pull the battery. After letting it sit for 5 min. or Sim I put the battery back in and turned it on. It would get the the animation ands show the 4G logo and then reboot. This happened an number of times. Pulled the battery again waited and same thing. Held volume button in and turned on and got the the options menu. Don not recall which option I chose but, it rebooted and the Logo for reinstalling software appeared. After a while an outline of a phone appeared with a red x. I pulled power and restarted and now it is working. I called Spring and the guy said he had about ten calls with problems from the Gingerbread update and if I had a problem again he would issue a ticket to take my unit to the Sprint store where they would either reinstall Gingerbread or roll it back.

Started getting a warning the the QR code generator had a problem and was shutting down. Removed it and the EVO seems fine now. It was a Free QR generator.

Upvote 0
- I only left out about ten apps, none being that large and most being movable to the sd. Now with everything installed and going it has about 250mb of internal storage left rather than 70 to 80mb. hmm??

I was wondering the same thing in my earlier post...
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...lems-non-rooted-stock-only-8.html#post2788226
"I was thinking about doing it because I thought that this update might have included some of the updates (like telenav, current version of flash, current version of Qik) in the update itself, so those would go to the ROM and it wouldn't take up my available storage with those updates (some of these updates like Telenav, flash are almost 10MB each)."

I hadn't done the hard reset yet (primarily because I am not having any significant issues with the 2.3.3 update - yet, and I didn't want to lose my game progress, and I didn't know if the storage used would actually go down). Now, I might actually do the hard reset and reinstall... wish there was a way to save the game progress - but oh well...

Upvote 0
this is so false. we've had three complete new OS updates for the EVO - Eclair--->Froyo--->Gingerbread and each one is better on the EVO than the next. i think that's amazing that a 1 year old phone can get 3 major OS updates in a year and be running the latest and greatest OS 1 year later after introduction. i'm having no problems here!

+1

Upvote 0
I was wondering the same thing in my earlier post...
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...lems-non-rooted-stock-only-8.html#post2788226
"I was thinking about doing it because I thought that this update might have included some of the updates (like telenav, current version of flash, current version of Qik) in the update itself, so those would go to the ROM and it wouldn't take up my available storage with those updates (some of these updates like Telenav, flash are almost 10MB each)."

I hadn't done the hard reset yet (primarily because I am not having any significant issues with the 2.3.3 update - yet, and I didn't want to lose my game progress, and I didn't know if the storage used would actually go down). Now, I might actually do the hard reset and reinstall... wish there was a way to save the game progress - but oh well...

I think I'm also going to break down and do the hard reset also. Everything works great but not getting the great battery life others are bragging about. this thread is supposed to be for NON-ROOTED users only so I hope I'm getting accurate feedback.

Couple of questions to the 'Evo forum gods', but first a statement:

I'm running stock (non-rooted) and would love to keep all my settings.

Q1. Should I download Titanium Pro to keep my settings?
Q2. Downloaded free Apps from Amazon, will I be able to re-install those apps since I got them during the 'Free App of the Day' download?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
if i move some of my apps to the sd card will they launch from there or will i have problems using them from the sd card? i know while some apps can be moved to the sd card they have problems working from there. if i can move and launch them from the sd card i'll definitely start moving some apps to free up some space although i have 201mb free. also what is that new app in the drawer the downloads app? also i wonder how long it'll take before we can root our phones....

Upvote 0
I think I'm also going to break down and do the hard reset also. Everything works great but not getting the great battery life others are bragging about. this thread is supposed to be for NON-ROOTED users only so I hope I'm getting accurate feedback.

Couple of questions to the 'Evo forum gods', but first a statement:

I'm running stock (non-rooted) and would love to keep all my settings.

Q1. Should I download Titanium Pro to keep my settings?
I think Titanium is for rooted users only, I may be wrong there...
Q2. Downloaded free Apps from Amazon, will I be able to re-install those apps since I got them during the 'Free App of the Day' download?

Answer: Yes, I did a factory reset before the update and had several apps I had d/led as free app of the day. All you'll need to do is download the amazon app store again. When you sign in under your account, it will have those apps that you had previously d/led under your apps. You can d/l them again at no charge because you had already 'paid' for them under your account!

Reactions: vgsantiago
Upvote 0
if i move some of my apps to the sd card will they launch from there or will i have problems using them from the sd card? i know while some apps can be moved to the sd card they have problems working from there. if i can move and launch them from the sd card i'll definitely start moving some apps to free up some space although i have 201mb free. also what is that new app in the drawer the downloads app? also i wonder how long it'll take before we can root our phones....

I have never had trouble opening from mSD card.

Upvote 0
Re: -- Google Voice Search not picking up Mic audio

If you go into Settings> Voice Input & Output > Voice Recognizer Settings > Personalized Recognition (checked)

I find that after the update, this was unchecked. Rechecking it has alleviated this issue.

I say alleviate, because 1 time since the update, it didn't pickup my voice for some unknown reason. But overall has perform as expected.

The issue is background noise. Ie if you try and use it at highway speeds, it doesn't work.

Has anyone successfully done a factory reset and was then able to get voice search to work when driving at highway speeds or with other background noise?

Upvote 0
so that means if i do a factory reset it will erase everything that i have on my phone??

everything that isn't on your sd card will be, I sync'd my apps to app brain to make sure I had a copy of all the apps I had before. I do know it seems like a lot of work to get your settings back, but it fixed my problem and I went from losing 40% of my battery with no use in about 2 and a half hours to now getting nearly 2 days worth of battery life, it is an amazing difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones