1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gingerbread NEWS and SPECULATION: All 2.3 Info Will Be Merged Here

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MetaX, Dec 7, 2010.

?

When will Samsung drop Gingerbread on the Galaxy S?

1. Beginning of Summer

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Beginning of Fall

25 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Will look nice under the Christmas Tree

29 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Snowball's chance in hell, ie. never

63 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. Right after the Flyers win Lord Stanley's Cup

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. batgeek

None

Sep 4, 2010
    Systems Engineer
    Suffolk, VA
    [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. toyman317

toyman317 Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    I was at the Sprint store this evening and the tech at the repair station said that GB will have the new Touchwiz version in it. Can anyone else confirm this? Supposedly this new version is pretty sweet.

3. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    I don't think that's true, based on the leaked builds the community has received. The Gingerbread leaks we've received for the Epic 4G come with Touchwiz 3.0 (Newest version is Touchwiz 4.0).

4. toyman317

toyman317 Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    OK. Then it must be the GS 2s that are getting Touchwiz 4.0. Pretty sure I have read that somewhere. For all the naysayers about Sammy, those new Galaxy phones should be really sweet. Then right around the corner is the next Nexus phone supposedly made by Sammy. Two killer phones. I'm just sayin'.

Also from what they are saying about how flexible ICS is with the older phones, I won't be surprized if the Epic gets that version as well.

5. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Yeah the Galaxy S2 is definitely running Touchwiz 4.0, and I agree, it looks nice and I'm looking forward to it :)

6. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Will the layout look any different with GB or will the changes be all performance based?

7. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Hah, I had the Hero too and remember the wait for 2.1. When it finally came, it was a dog (like you said) and I ended up rooting. I'm not a fan of Sense anyway.

As for the Epic, I think it's a trainwreck. Bluetooth constantly disconnects, and GPS frequently fails when I need it the most: using Google nav. The battery life is awful (yes I use JuiceDefender and am on WiFi most of the day).

I am very disappointed in this phone. The screen is great and I love the keyboard, but too many crashes and the problems mentioned above aren't worth it.

simcha likes this.
  8. dksnet

dksnet Guest
    None
    Well there's only one phone that I've seen that has great battery life and it was my friends Atrix and even with dual core he was getting almost 14 hours with heavy use and 2 days with just phone calls and texting.
    My Hero was no better than my Epic and I can bet you that the next phone sammy releases will have the same issues.

9. toyman317

toyman317 Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    Having the dual core helps reduce battery consumption. It isn't the other way around.

10. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    There's small appearance differences, but its a lot of functional changes.

11. jlschulz

jlschulz Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Considering they've already announced eol for the 4g in October, don't expect to be getting the Gingerbread .... ever.... which is why they're saying nothing. I've had the Motorolas and HTC's and they all do the same. But, HTC does appear to be faster with the Anddroid updates than they were with the windows mobile updates, so that's where I'm going next. If you buy another samsung you're just saying that you'll take their crap and put up with it. I don't give second chances until I've run out of other choices.

simcha likes this.
  12. phrnk

phrnk Newbie
    None

Oct 14, 2010
    End of the line for 4G? Could you please send a link so I can read more about this. Thanks.

13. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

Only someone with unrealistic expectations would expect to get anything beyond gingerbread besides some basic maintenance updates. Name one non Google branded phone that has received more than two major updates. if you think any 2.1 phone is going to officially see ice cream, you have illusions of grandeur.

HTC faster with updates? Ask Droid Incredible owners how they like gingerbread. Wait, you can't. They don't have it yet either, but Samsung sucks. Ask Hero and other 1.5 HTC phone owners how worth the wait was to get 2.2 on their phones. They were still lackluster.

14. Poweranimals

None

Apr 28, 2011

Agreed. Where the heck is this coming from?

15. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Its end of line from Sprint as far as sales go (which is the 1 year mark from release), it has nothing to do with support. Sprint is going to stop selling the Epic in October.

la sal likes this.
  16. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

exactly. It's only a big deal to people trying to put a negative spin on it. Epic 2 will be out, Epic gets EOL'd. It's the way it works. Not some "sky is falling" event that proves the phone will be abandoned before its time.

17. dksnet

dksnet Guest
    None
    So the chance of seeing GB is even more of a dream than people wanted to believe......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

18. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

and the only reason I'm able to reply quickly is I just picked up a 32gb Touchpad for $150. And no, I will not respond to the man poking the sleeping bear ;)

19. Poweranimals

None

Apr 28, 2011
    So hopes of us getting Gingerbread are pretty much dead, eh?

20. Stoney62

Stoney62 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    I was getting 6 ft when it was working on eh 06.
    Unfortunately, it kept losing the gpa after about 10-20 mina and had to reboot to get it back. I sure hope someone comes up with an easy fix.

21. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    God I hope not!! :(:(

This phone needs an update, badly.

My Epic is afflicted with the SMS dropping area code bug, making texting almost impossible.

Samsung still has not addressed this even though it's been reported since 2010.

I am getting very disappointed with Sprint / Samsung on support for this phone... :mad:

I used to defend Samsung, but after these experiences, it's tough to be in the Samsung camp.

SGS2 will be a great phone I'm sure, but I'll be wary of phone support, after the experience on the Moment and the Epic.

22. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

why are you frustrated? Is it worth being frustrated? Seriously. If it wasn't for the samfirmware group you'd have zero news about the progress of gingerbread and then you'd be annoyed about no updates about a release. I actually like to see the progress. I'll do a nandroid backup and update to the newest leak to give it a try. If I find it flaky I just nandroid back to what I was running. Bottom line is something with the SGS hardware (and possibly sprint crap) is making it difficult to work with. Is it that hard to come to terms with it? Just accept it, man up and root so you can nandroid and play with the newest release, no harm no foul. Or you can run a custom froyo rom that cleans up the phone quite a bit. Rooting is simple. Odin is a get out of jail free card if you screw it up, and you can always go back to stock for the official update when it hits or just enjoy hanging in the rooted community and let the devs clean up gingerbread. Once you go down that path it's tough to deal with stock.

But to keep getting frustrated over the same thing you have no control over just isn't worth it, especially considering we're talking about a phone.

And I've been running EH06 for a day and half now, and it's been pretty solid. Haven't tried gps yet, but I rarely use it and have just accepted the fact I might never have great reliable gps with this phone.

23. simcha

simcha Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    Male
    Employed
    Oakland, CA
    The Epic will get Gingerbread when the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

(I'm a Cubs fan so I can assure you that this means never.)

MadBrown likes this.
  24. MadBrown

MadBrown Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    ^^
    lol

25. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010