• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread NEWS and SPECULATION: All 2.3 Info Will Be Merged Here

When will Samsung drop Gingerbread on the Galaxy S?

• Beginning of Summer

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Beginning of Fall

Votes: 25 17.2%
  • Will look nice under the Christmas Tree

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • Snowball's chance in hell, ie. never

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • Right after the Flyers win Lord Stanley's Cup

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
How is this related to the US variants? All I see is the european version mentioned?? :thinking:
Why would they give the euro phones the update and not the U.S? It would be the froyo situation all over again and samsung has already stated multiple times that they promise never to screw up that bad again. If they get it overseas, We will also. No doubt

Upvote 0
I have no doubt that there will be 2.3 based roms for the Epic, I have strong doubts that any will be "official". First off, most phones only get one major update, which though comically late, the Epic has received. The time frame also doesn't work. By the time a cdma 2.3 is ready for release, the Epic's replacement will probably already be on sale. Even though Samsung does most of the heavy lifting (poorly), I question whether Sprint will invest in testing and deploying an OS update for a phone that it no longer sells. I hope I'm wrong. I'd really like to see Samsung turn around its tarnished image in the smartphone arena. Throwing the US Galaxy S owners it abused an "extra" update would be an excellent start.

Upvote 0
I have no doubt that there will be 2.3 based roms for the Epic, I have strong doubts that any will be "official". First off, most phones only get one major update, which though comically late, the Epic has received. The time frame also doesn't work. By the time a cdma 2.3 is ready for release, the Epic's replacement will probably already be on sale. Even though Samsung does most of the heavy lifting (poorly), I question whether Sprint will invest in testing and deploying an OS update for a phone that it no longer sells. I hope I'm wrong. I'd really like to see Samsung turn around its tarnished image in the smartphone arena. Throwing the US Galaxy S owners it abused an "extra" update would be an excellent start.

By then all the people who are eager to jump on the next big operating system upgrade will be eager to jump on the next big phone. Then it will start all over again. I know South Park had a cute episode called, "The Cycle of Poo" - maybe we could call this the Cycle of Materialism.

Upvote 0
I'm sure I will have moved on by late summer to whatever the best phone available is. I really like what I see going on over on the Evo platform though. They have a lot of dedicated mods that will probably keep that phone alive much longer than the Epic. I will be highly interested in whatever super phone HTC/Sprint may be coming out with.

Upvote 0
There's a solid core of Epic developers as well. I can't wait to see how Bonsai runs on EB13. I'd love to say I'm on board with the next premium phone that comes out, but if it doesn't have a keyboard, I'll be going back to the Epic and putting it up on ebay. The Epic just keeps getting better with every update. My gullible side says Samsung will make current owners happy as a payback for their lackluster upgrade history and make an effort to restore some faith. Reality might be different, but it's possible.

Now if HTC would make a 4" version of the Arrive for Android, I'd drop the Epic no problem. But if Samsung starts to improve their upgrade track record, I'd be inclined to give them another go around. Putting GB on the Epic also increases its resale value. It's also leaps and bounds beyond the Transform, Intercept and Moment and many would be willing to pick it up on ebay and craigslist. Opens the door for a new Samsung sale as well as having a new Samsung owner on the Epic who just might become a repeat customer. Not to mention the Epic being a unique phone as the only 4g 4" Android slider out there. So I think there's enough going for it to keep it alive for awhile.

Upvote 0
If you happen to root the Epic, I highly recommend the Bonsai ROM. I actually had some wifi issues with eb18, and in going back and forth redoing the update (back to DI18 and updating to EB), I pretty much locked up my phone. After some flashing I couldn't download from the market. Finally I just bricked the phone. Thankfully I went into recovery and noticed I had the bonsai zip on there and decided to run it. Worked like a charm. Got me back up and running. I then Odin'd back to 2.1 and ran the EB update again after wiping and clearing the phone about 5 times. Now I'm just waiting on the 3.0 release that's kinda out, but not officially. Might put it on tonight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones