• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gingerbread news!

I did not read all the post's in this thread but what do you do if your rooted and you don't want the update. My phone is perfect right now and don't want moto or verizon to muff it up.

If you are rooted and rommed then you don't have to worry about the update coming through to my knowledge. If you were to flash back (stock) then there is a possibility that it may come through for you to dl.

I, myself will wait to see what the deal is with GB before I go to it. I am on Fission right now and it is the best Rom I have run and I have pretty much tried them all.....

Upvote 0
I did not read all the post's in this thread but what do you do if your rooted and you don't want the update. My phone is perfect right now and don't want moto or verizon to muff it up.

If you want to be sure, use Root Explorer or a similar application to navigate to /system/app and rename BlurUpdater.apk to BlurUpdater.bak. Boom, no more update.

If you've modified your system, the update will fail and not change anything anyway... but to be sure, just rename the apk above and it'll remove the update capability entirely.

Upvote 0
If you are rooted and rommed then you don't have to worry about the update coming through to my knowledge. If you were to flash back (stock) then there is a possibility that it may come through for you to dl.

I, myself will wait to see what the deal is with GB before I go to it. I am on Fission right now and it is the best Rom I have run and I have pretty much tried them all.....

+1 on this!
I will not be jumping right away. I am want make sure we can get root access (I think it will happen). I also want to know if there is a way to get back to 2.2.340 if 2.3 is not all it is said to be. Lastly would like to hear all the problems that others are having first. It will take the developers a little time to get some custom ROMs out on Gingerbread anyway.

Upvote 0
I will be waiting to see as well. If it gets rooted and there is any possibility to flash back to 340 then I will likely give it a go pretty soon after it launches.

Right, I want to wait to see if they will get root first and then consider it. Cause I think once you go to GB there ain't no going back to .340. Right now my phone is just the way I like it and I am more than willing to wait it out a bit longer till root is established as well as a couple custom roms... :D

Upvote 0
+1 on this!
I will not be jumping right away. I am want make sure we can get root access (I think it will happen). I also want to know if there is a way to get back to 2.2.340 if 2.3 is not all it is said to be. Lastly would like to hear all the problems that others are having first. It will take the developers a little time to get some custom ROMs out on Gingerbread anyway.

Were you standing over my shoulder while I was typing, lol.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
you know what else I kinda find weird... why was the last leaked blur build (3.4.2) never pushed out?
I mean, i understand that it was a leak like the 2.3.9 and 2.3.13 that were never released but those were minimal changes from them to the 2.3.15 that we got. same with .320 to .340, minimal changes.
but 3.4.2 had some much bigger changes then what we are on now (the profiles) and I guess was just abandoned?
not that im complaining, I just thought it was odd that it is getting skipped right over

Upvote 0
you know what else I kinda find weird... why was the last leaked blur build (3.4.2) never pushed out?
I mean, i understand that it was a leak like the 2.3.9 and 2.3.13 that were never released but those were minimal changes from them to the 2.3.15 that we got. same with .320 to .340, minimal changes.
but 3.4.2 had some much bigger changes then what we are on now (the profiles) and I guess was just abandoned?
not that im complaining, I just thought it was odd that it is getting skipped right over

Most likely, 3.4.2 was just the Blur framework that was being developed for the Gingerbread release.

There are two things that are being released every time Moto does an update. First is the OS, updated with the drivers etc. to make it work on the phone. Second is the Blur framework. It's not unusual for development companies to do "feature" work on an old software platform while the new platform is being worked on. So that's what you saw in 3.4.2 - feature work done on an old platform so development and testing could continue, while the new OS was being polished and stabilized.

We do this all the time where I work. A new platform release is being developed, but you don't want to stop feature development just because the platform team is still working, so feature development continues on the old platform, and is ported over to the new platform when it's available.

Reactions: ECFfighter7232
Upvote 0
It is weird though because I would think they would have dropped this news on Verizon's site or Motorola's... I mean we haven't heard anything.. That leads me to believe there won't be GB anytime soon....

nah...they didn't really advertise Froyo either...the only reason Froyo got as much attention as it did (in relation to the X) was because rumors were swirling that the X would be the first phone to ship with 2.2...and because it wasn't they made a big deal about the update coming in "summer"

Upvote 0
From a marketing standpoint why would they want to do this. Remember back to the end of summer whenever was up in arms that Froyo was not out yet and because Verizon gave dates people were freaking out, heck there were debates to when summer ended on here.

After that if I was Verizon I would work on something and surprise everyone with the update. The PR Version would get is wow, we got this update this is great. If Verizon would have said they will have it out by the end of winter everyone would be pissed because that ended this past week and everyone would be like, about time, what took them so long!

I remember getting my X they said it would ship in 3 weeks, I was not happy, but I knew that, then when it shipped in 4 days I was like alright that is what I am talking about thanks Verizon, great job.

Upvote 0
From a marketing standpoint why would they want to do this. Remember back to the end of summer whenever was up in arms that Froyo was not out yet and because Verizon gave dates people were freaking out, heck there were debates to when summer ended on here.

After that if I was Verizon I would work on something and surprise everyone with the update. The PR Version would get is wow, we got this update this is great. If Verizon would have said they will have it out by the end of winter everyone would be pissed because that ended this past week and everyone would be like, about time, what took them so long!

I remember getting my X they said it would ship in 3 weeks, I was not happy, but I knew that, then when it shipped in 4 days I was like alright that is what I am talking about thanks Verizon, great job.

there may be an official press release in the days leading up to release...but i wouldn't expect any official word from VZW any sooner than a few days before the roll out, if at all...

Upvote 0
They would never go for this, but I would love to see them sell the locked versions, which 90%+ of the people would buy. But have a unlocked version that if you buy it is yours and there are no returns. If you break it you've bought it. This would be a way to make everyone happy, but I am sure it would not be cost effective for the carriers so it will never happen.

why do you think it would be cost effective for the carriers? They don't get stuck supporting a phone they would have to otherwise. The way it is now we can still break the phone but Moto tries to prevent us from fixing them. (by changing keys so that sbf files are rendered useless.) Seems to be a little stupid and counter productive on their part to me.

Sell us an unlocked version and supply the tools needs to re flash the phone and everyone is happy, except possible VZW because they won't be able to trick ppl into buy VZ nav or enforce partnership deal with the ones that have said phone. But they can't do it now anyways so whats the difference?

Upvote 0
Yeah I just saw there is another new update since I had posted that. Haven't had a chance to dl and apply said clean rubbish. Will do that soon, let it settle in and report back.

As for the argument of locking the phone and the carriers input on that aspect. Here's an important piece of information we are all forgetting, and I just put together coherently in another post. If you buy your device on contract, and receive a subsidized phone (like most of us probably did and got our phones with a NE2 or other upgrade offer) for 150-200 bucks or whatever you paid, then Verizon owns more of your phone than you do. Remember, the full retail of these devices is over $500. When we get them for $150, Verizon is essentially PAYING the other $350+ dollars to get us into two year contracts with them. Yes, I know they aren't paying retail prices, BUT they aren't charging the users retail prices either. Motorola created the device and they will get their money, they don't care who from. This then actually gives VZW the right to pretty much do whatever they want with the devices. If you look at it this way (and I'm sure more than one person is going to have a hissy fit over what I'm saying), then the phones are more Verizon's than ours. Does that suck, definitely. Is it going to change, no way. Do I agree with it, absolutely not. I'm just trying to look at it from every angle. And, unfortunately, none of those angles look good for us, the consumer. Especially, the relatively small percentage of us who want to do interesting things with our devices. If you want total freedom from locked bootloaders and carrier decisions, then you really only have one choice, and that's the Nexus.

Brian

I have to totally disagree with you here. We get that price because we agree to be their customer for 2 years and not go anywhere else. Deal Done! If you walk into a VZW store they will tell you it is your phone you own Even if they did own 60% of it why should they have 100% control?

The big question is if its my device (and yes VZW has told me that) why can't I uninstall this CityID app or change this bootloader? :p

Upvote 0
I have to totally disagree with you here. We get that price because we agree to be their customer for 2 years and not go anywhere else. Deal Done! If you walk into a VZW store they will tell you it is your phone you own Even if they did own 60% of it why should they have 100% control?

The big question is if its my device (and yes VZW has told me that) why can't I uninstall this CityID app or change this bootloader? :p
i dont think he is trying to insinuate that Verizon actually OWNS a portion of your phone, however he is saying that they PAID for more of the phone than you, and therefore reserve rights for themselves to keep you from doing certain things...

as for things like CityID and such...marketing deals most likely prevent apps like that from being removed...

in real GingerBlur news however...this comes from CellZealot, a member of Team Black Hat

This is definitely NOT the same build rejected by VZW! This build is dated 3/23/2011 and would not possibly have been tested by anyone outside Motorola yet.
Just an FYI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uki4-61vhW4&feature=player_embedded

Upvote 0
Most likely, 3.4.2 was just the Blur framework that was being developed for the Gingerbread release.

for a follow up on this...apparently 3.4.2 is the version of Blur that the Atrix has on it

give me root or give me death!
Im upgrading whether we have root or not...the things im hearing about GB are just too good to wait lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones