• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gingerbread news!

That's what I did the first time I installed GB (stock > GB) so polished off my Stock backup, then tried to update that to GB and boot looped, reset, boot looped, finally gave up, sbf'd and restored Fission.

Agree............tried GB and it wasn't as good as my Darkslide'

Had many issues getting re-flashed. Now i read you have to use D2 bootstrap ?????????

I would hold off till the bugs are worked out...........IMO

Upvote 0
Agree............tried GB and it wasn't as good as my Darkslide'

Had many issues getting re-flashed. Now i read you have to use D2 bootstrap ?????????

I would hold off till the bugs are worked out...........IMO

What do you consider better in Darkslide? the facts are that GB is a better OS internally hands down. Once GB is mainstream you'll probably see a GB version of DS and every other ROM, they will go to it because it is better.

As for the D2 thing that's not a bug but something Moto changed and Koush being to busy or lazy to update his code so blame that on him not bugs.

What bugs are you referring to that need to be worked out other than the one you mention that's not really a bug? You may be waiting a loooong time if you're going to wait till no one has problems flashing it because there is always someone that has trouble flashing ...always.

Of course if you just love DS that's fine also. Just don't blame people not being able to SBF a file a bug. There is always a group that have trouble doing that. I say flash it and work though it and you may actually learn something along the way that may help you next time. Because when DS GB comes out (and you know you're going to want it :D) you're still going to have a problem flashing GB if your having trouble now, unless you figure out why now.

IMO :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am a huge supporter of paying for apps!! I even try to get others I work with to start buying apps to help support the developers. This, however, is one I can't understand. Maybe I'm mistaken, but someone was able to get a hold of a file that he didn't spend any time creating and wants money for it just because he is offering it earlier than the FREE version that will come soon? I don't get it. Please explain because the way I understand it now, it makes me mad! I had the D1 on launch day and have seen many leaks of all the new android updates, but this is a first. Like I said, I can understand if a dev spends months to create something great, but getting a hold of a leaked file?

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
I am a huge supporter of paying for apps!! I even try to get others I work with to start buying apps to help support the developers. This, however, is one I can't understand. Maybe I'm mistaken, but someone was able to get a hold of a file that he didn't spend any time creating and wants money for it just because he is offering it earlier than the FREE version that will come soon? I don't get it. Please explain because the way I understand it now, it makes me mad! I had the D1 on launch day and have seen many leaks of all the new android updates, but this is a first. Like I said, I can understand if a dev spends months to create something great, but getting a hold of a leaked file?

P3Droid released mirrors for the file...absolutely free. So you don't need to pay to get GB.

Also, TBH spends hours upon hours of work to make sure leaks work, are stable, putting them into .zip formats, and making sure that any leaked files don't destroy our phones. Their site/app offers a collection of leaks, sbf files, update.zip files, etc so that any version of 2.2 or 2.3 you want to run on your phone can be obtained through one place.

TBH also spends countless hours rooting, deodexing, and creating ROMs. So a little support isn't much to ask for at all, especially when they release everything for free.

Upvote 0
P3Droid released mirrors for the file...absolutely free. So you don't need to pay to get GB.

Also, TBH spends hours upon hours of work to make sure leaks work, are stable, putting them into .zip formats, and making sure that any leaked files don't destroy our phones. Their site/app offers a collection of leaks, sbf files, update.zip files, etc so that any version of 2.2 or 2.3 you want to run on your phone can be obtained through one place.

TBH also spends countless hours rooting, deodexing, and creating ROMs. So a little support isn't much to ask for at all, especially when they release everything for free.

The problem is that people have been doing this for free since the beginning of android. P3 is one of the only people (if not the only) person to try and profit from it. Maybe it's the nature of things in the world we live in today. That doesn't make it right

Upvote 0
Agreed some people will pay for the leak, but if you look at what is in their app, which is $1.99, there is far more in there than just the leak. Not only that, but they have been able to get get this rooted, which in 24 hours out in the wild no one else was able to do and then released it to all of us. Most developers of ROMs do it because it is what they wanted, at least to start with, and I have not seen any charge for their base ROM. However I have donated to almost every developer that I have used a ROM from because I know it is not easy. I know $5 to $10 from me is not huge, but know if everyone who used it did the same that would be a large amount for their hard work. TBH is giving us something no one else could. I think a little thanks for that is not out of line.

Upvote 0

What he said and I'll add that according to p3 some of the leaks (amybe even aall) cost them money. ON top of that just look at what he did for this leak even if he didn't pay for it. He spent hours on trying to root it and stayed up all last night to finally get root and package it up for user of both the X and D2. And then went to work (his real job) on no sleep. Now if you're too cheap to pay 2.00 to help support him so be it but he does more than just gets a leak and then post it. Do you think Moto puts out sbf's in flash-able cwr zip format? (which is really cool if you ask me) hell being able to flash a spf without a PC is worth the 2.00 bucks alone.

Unfortunately most people never donate a dime and I don't blame p3 for finding a way to get a few $ for his time and cost. Unfortunately it seems to have also brought a ton of criticism from cheap people. :rolleyes: That think devs should work for handouts only.

PS if you get the app it also has lots of other leaks and hacks well worth the $2.00 he's asking for it, as well as a small window of time, to the supports, for exclusivity to future leaks (if any)

So in conclusion
If you don't want to support him or get a leak, sometime, a few days early then don't buy it. He will still give you everything in the app for free if you wait a few days.

Cheap people that don't think things through make me mad ;)

Upvote 0
The problem is that people have been doing this for free since the beginning of android. P3 is one of the only people (if not the only) person to try and profit from it. Maybe it's the nature of things in the world we live in today. That doesn't make it right

IMO thats not true since you can get it all free. I see it as him trying to get people to actually "donate" for a little bit extra. I see nothing wrong with that, if you don't want to support then you can wait.

Think of his app like one of those download sites that make you wait 45 seconds and a slower speed if you don't pay. :eek:

Upvote 0
Piiman,

"cheap people that don't think things through make me mad"

Sure sounds like that was towards me. Considering I said in my post that this situation make me mad. If it is, you obviously didn't read my post. If you did read it, you read into what you wanted to read into it and didn't pay any attention to what I said.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know exactly why Verizon rejected this build of GB anyway? I had it and it seemed pretty legit to me.

Don't get me wrong though, I am all about them fixing the bugs before it is officially released to the public.:D

Was just curious what it was that they (Verizon) didn't like about it.:thinking:
It wasn't this build it was an earlier build, this one is brand new.

Upvote 0
Piiman,

"cheap people that don't think things through make me mad"

Sure sounds like that was towards me. Considering I said in my post that this situation make me mad. If it is, you obviously didn't read my post. If you did read it, you read into what you wanted to read into it and didn't pay any attention to what I said.

LOL the irony

FYI it was directed at everyone that's too cheap to support someone that spend lots of time an money to bring this stuff to us. If you think that's you then it was. :eek:

Now did you read anything I wrote, how about a comment on that or "didn't pay any attention to what I said"? :rolleyes:

As for the mirror sites. All the ones I checked are down. TBH spp?? Where do you get that? TBH in the market comes up with nothing at all. I wanted to give this a try, but it looks like I'll have to wait until the pissing match is over. A lot of drama over this one.

You're funny. Is it deliberate?

BTW Mirrors don't last long with Moto's Legal team that seems to work 24/7 so there's another good reason to buy the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones