1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gingerbread not showing "Running Services" as before

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by madmonk, Oct 15, 2011.

1. madmonk

madmonk Member
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    On Froyo within the manage applications setting, one could look at all the apps that were "running" and force close if one wished.

That option now gone. The "running services" option now provided does not show everything that is open. Easily checked. Go into your web browser or camera, then press the Home key. (the app will still be open, taking up RAM, though not necessarily hogging CPU ), check running services, it will not show the app just opened.

Now open "manage applications" and scroll down to your app. There you can see you have the option to force close.

in other words, in Froyo one could see automatically which apps could be force closed, in Gingerbread one can't. Having said that, my battery life improved a lot since move from Desire (froyo) to desire S (gingerbread), and wondered if that was one of the reasons why.

For example System Panel, shows a lot of apps currently running, compared to the handful that Gingerbread shows.

I am aware that just because an app CAN be force closed, doesn't mean it is necessarily running in the normal sense of the word. It just means it is taking up RAM space. Have I answered my own question?

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Do you not have the following in your firmware...

Settings > Applications > Running services?

if you then select Menu > Show cached processes... it will show you the processes that are cached and not using any juice.

There is no point in closing down apps as this will use more power than leavung them alone.. a la Task Killer.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

madmonk likes this.