1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Gingerbread O2 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by useroid, Aug 22, 2011.

1. useroid

useroid Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I've read several posts on this issue, but not sure on the best way to tackle it.

I connected to Kies last night and it completed the initial download of files (100%). It then started this "Preparing firmware upgrade components" routine and I had this going for a couple of hours then stopped it.

Started Kies up this morning and it goes straight to the "Preparing firmware upgrade components" message (as I presume the initial step of downloading files is saved on my PC somewhere.)

I am using a '3' dongle connection and running Windows 7.

Does anyone know how long this step should take? If it's an hour or two then I'd leave it running, but if it's only a couple of minutes then something is amiss.

Many thanks.

Advertisement

2. pharbon80

pharbon80 Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    IT Support
    North West England
    i had the same problem with kies on my ace. i went through the advanced way of finding the gingerbread Rom then using Odin to flash it. to be honest once i read how to do and watched a video it was easy. plus... i found it unlocked my ohone so i can use a 3 sim aswell as my O2 sim. Alternativley u can go into an o2 shop or phones4u shop ask if they can update for you. :)

3. useroid

useroid Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks for replying pharbon80.

I may just take up your advice and go to an O2 shop. Have tried updating this 6 times via Kies (at different times of the day and night) but still no joy. I leave it running for about 3 hours then give up. Maybe it's because of having a dongle connectivity rather than proper wifi modem that's causing the problem.

Might try ODIN. What's the best site to go to?

Thanks again.

4. useroid

useroid Member

Jun 19, 2011
    You wanna hear something funny.

So I walk into an O2 shop and tell the knowledgable assistant about the problems I've been experiencing with the Gingerbread update.

I'm told that, apparently, my phone does not have the internal technology to update to Gingerbread as it's not compatible.

Hmmmm, I'm even more confused than before. Is this rubbish talk, or is it not so funny as I first thought? :thinking:

Comments?

5. pharbon80

pharbon80 Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    IT Support
    North West England
    I have a feeling the guy was telling porkies... theres nothing wrong with manually updating the phone. BUT if ur unsure dont bother. To be honest theres nothing major that Gingerbread can do that Froyo cant. Samsung will, id due course, release a stable update. But till then dont worry about it. Ur not missing out on anything major :)

6. useroid

useroid Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Yep, they were telling porkies. I rcvd my 3MiFi today and within minutes my phone was updated to Ginger 2.3.3. I think the problem was my dongle connectivity.

7. pharbon80

pharbon80 Newbie
    None

Aug 22, 2011
    IT Support
    North West England
    Excellent, glad you sorted it :) Hope u notice a difference :)