1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Gingerbread on the Precedent?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ThatonedudexP, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Pre-service elementary teacher
    Tennessee, United States
    I looked over the Precedent threads and the recommended threads that came up when I entered the title of this one, and I still couldn't find what I was looking for. :( I was wondering if anyone here knows if Straight Talk has any plans of releasing the Gingerbread system update on the Precedent. I was told by people for months that it will never happen, and then Boost Mobile suddenly released the update for their "Precedents". :thinking: I'm not sure I even want the update to happen though since I've seen all of the issues that previous Froyo users are now having. :eek: Thanks! :)

Advertisement

2. PoorBoy52760

PoorBoy52760 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 17, 2011
    Male
    Computer Builder
    Moscow, Iowa
    Yeah it will be totally up to Straight Talk and Samsung if we get Gingerbread no word as of yet to if we are getting it or Not

ThatonedudexP likes this.
  3. Rebecca928

Rebecca928 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    New York
    Ok So I have a rooted precedent, I have flashed prl's etc- But I have no clue what gingerbread is.. can someone please explain it to me?

4. kolosus

kolosus Android Expert
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    PA/NJ Usa
    Rebecca928. Google is your friend.

I think that the Prevail got gingerbread because Boost now has 2 Samsung phones on their network. While the Precedent is a single phone on Straight Talk. Just guessing.

Gingerbread= Android 2.3. While the Precedent is Android 2.2 aka Froyo (Short for Frozen Yogurt).

5. CherokeeBlood

CherokeeBlood Member
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Customer Service
    Otisco, Indiana

Ok I'll try to explain this for you

you three basic operating systems (OS)
    PC
    Mac
    Linux (Open source)

Each have their own software file system
    PC = Window
    Mac= Macintosh

Linux= is an OS all to it's own

Each have their own version

Window= 98, XP, Vista, Win 7
    Mac= Snow Leopard, OS X
    Linux has a plethora of versions

with that said, we have Android, which is an open source operating system, For mobile devices...cell phones (smartphones), tablets, netbooks
    version include Froyo, Gingerbread........

of course each newer version is a better, or newer technology.

6. Rebecca928

Rebecca928 Newbie
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    New York
    Ok sorry for being a pain- will I lose everything on my phone if I update to gingerbread? I read that you should wipe your phone, but I really dont want to lose everything on my phone... is there a way to do a backup of my phone or no?

7. kolosus

kolosus Android Expert
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    PA/NJ Usa
    Do not forget your gmail password. Yes. A wipe is a must. But when you log back into your gmail account your contacts will come back. Also if you've bought any apps from the market they'll be available to that account again. The rest is going to have to be reinstalled.

You do not want to back up an app from your old system (froyo, 2.2) and restore it to your new system (gingerbread, 2.3). The back up might be incompatible and mess your system up beyond workability.

PS: I'd also like to add that the Gingerbread port for the Precedent is not a Straight Talk official OS. So if you do an upgrade and something goes awry you're up the creek! I thought I'd add that because your questions seemed a bit naive and I thought I'd give you a heads up. Forgive me if I assumed wrong.

PolicyWonk likes this.