1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trparky, Jun 29, 2011.

1. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast

Any ideas when the Droid Charge will get either Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich?

Advertisement

2. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

Gingerbread? End of July.
    Ice Cream Sandwich? Don't hold your breath.

3. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member

Rumor is this summer for GB. Dammit, now I want dessert. :D

4. moshock

moshock Newbie

Any confirmation on the Gingerbread Release? I can't wait. What does it add exactly?...

5. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

There's a leaked gingerbread build for the Droid Charge floating around that seems pretty stable. I'd guess it's coming soon based on this. It's based on 2.3.4 which means native video calling via Google chat which is nice as my friend's Evo update was based on 2.3.3 and I doubt they'll see another update at this point. I think Gingerbread brings improved graphics performance and a few extra features like native VoIP support (if it's not stripped out by the carrier). Here's a breakdown:

http://androidcommunity.com/android-2-3-gingerbread-features-and-list-of-whats-new-20101206/

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

The Gingerbread leak is amazing and everyone should root just to get to use it. Stock Froyo is just so laggy, but stock Gingerbread is smooth like butter.

EDIT: Also, even though our leak has 2.3.4, it is NOT able to do Google Talk w/ Video. Hopefully, this will be rectified in time for the official release.

7. jpog

jpog Newbie

Will GB support skype and Netflix?

8. shadowdude777

Probably not officially, but it can usually be accomplished by downloading leaked apks.

9. trparky

After reading about those features in Gingerbread it makes me want it even more but I'm not willing to root my droid to get it. I'd rather play it safe and wait for it to be deployed by Verizon. *crosses fingers in hopes it comes out in July*

10. biotob

biotob Newbie

+1

Although, I might think twice about rooting it...i'll give it another week b4 my need for ultimate control kicks in.

11. shadowdude777

"Play it safe"? It's very difficult to damage a phone by rooting. Odin is always available to you, from what I've seen. The disclaimers that are put in how-tos are just so someone doesn't try to blame the method for something that goes wrong with the phone.

I wouldn't want to push you into rooting, but it's perfectly safe and sensible, and opens you up to the world of custom ROMs, custom overclocking and undervolting kernels, and the ability to convert the filesystem over from RFS to ext4 via the Voodoo lagfix.

12. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member

The leaked netflix package will probably start working. People who've gotten a Gingerbread rom on their Charge seem to have gotten netflix to work.

Additionally, voice and video chat via Google Talk should work, and it's possible that the push will enable or require file system update to ext4, which has much quicker access times, from YAFFS, but I don't know how they'd do it.

If you're rooted, you should be able to greatly enhance operation tempo and capabilities once you get Gingerbread.

13. JasonPurp

JasonPurp Member

To the post that said not to hold your breath for ICS, we WILL be getting it. All phones will now get the newest updates within 18 months of the phone's release. We might even get something newer than ICS later on.

14. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

No, they said manufacturers have agreed to update their phones for at least 18 months after release. It didn't say when you'd get updates as it was simply an attempt to ensure your handset wouldn't be ignored by the manufacturer soon after release. You might see Ice Cream Sandwich, but you may not even get it by this time next year as the phone falls down the priority list at Samsung...hence, don't hold your breath. Now, Google said at their conference they'd like to dictate guidelines for the timely update of devices, but nothing has been agreed upon as of yet.

15. rdalev

rdalev Android Enthusiast

Cool..................just in time to get a new phone !:eek:

16. trparky

Are we any closer to a official release of Gingerbread on the Droid Charge?

17. TheGraham

TheGraham Newbie

Android 3.1 is available for your phone now. We're looking forward to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

18. WildH

WildH Android Enthusiast

Really? Official ota?

19. mrjwen

mrjwen Newbie

20. trparky

Yeah, I just checked for a software update on the phone using "Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates" and no update found.

21. jimburn69

jimburn69 Member

I get netfliks on my stock charge.

22. Gdwheel

Gdwheel Newbie

3.1 is for tablets and is not available for this phone.

23. wild willy

wild willy Lurker

Yes, I have been waiting with bated breath- a friend with the droid x already got his update, still waiting for mine. Come on, Big Red!

24. executor485

executor485 Well-Known Member

I'd say the end of July deadline for GB has been missed. I'm also skeptical as to whether they'll update in time to save this phone. A lot of people have issues with the signal and are swapping to other phones. I think Verizon made a big mistake in releasing the phone without GB while they're updating 2 year old phones to have GB.

25. trparky

OK, so what can we do about it? How can we force Verizon to make this situation right? I just bought this phone, I'm outside of the 14-day return period and honestly, besides the issues with the signal I love the phone but still... we need a solution to this obvious issue.

Samsung Droid Charge Forum

The Samsung Droid Charge release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1600mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews