• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gingerbread OTA Update Bricked my Stock Android!!

Just updated my Droid Charger with the OTA and working fine. However, I also just purchased Tasker today only to find out that some of the features I purchased it for are not available with stock Gingerbread. Worth trying to root the phone to use these additional features or just be happy with OTA update? I've never rooted before, but willing to try if worth it.

Upvote 0
Add me to the list of those having problems with the Droid Charge Gingerbread update. Stuck on the red eye loading screen for over an hour. I am hoping there will be a solution that doesn't require me to do a hard reset, but in case I must resort to that can someone help me out with some specific instructions on how that is done? Thanks.

Upvote 0
My wife's Charge wound up in a boot loop after the OTA today. We took it to the VZW store and they replaced it.

The factory reset just got stuck on a yellow construction looking screen saying, "Downloading" but it never did anything.

Update: The VZW Tech was an idiot. They were using Pwr+VolDn and the correct keys are Pwr+Home+VolUp. I was able to properly perform the factory reset and the phone is back up and running with the update. Though since it's wiped we'll probably swap to the new one anyway.

Upvote 0
Hello,

My situation is getting worse.

1) I got the update notification yesterday morning. Ever since I started the update, it's in a never-ending reboot loop (Samsung logo keeps showing).

2) After reading this forum, I went to Costco where I bought my Droid Charge, but the tech guy there couldn't reboot my system and said I should go to a Verizon store since tech guys there know more about technical stuff.

3) I ran to the nearest Verizon store, but the staffs there said the same thing. They basically said that the reset button combination doesn't work on my phone, so they cannot reset my phone. They asked me to contact Verizon directly to get a replacement.

4) After coming home, I read this thread again and thought the tech guys might have gotten the reset button combination wrong as someone said. So I did it myself by pressing "Power+Home+VolumeUp". I could successfully go into the manual mode and chose the "factory reset" option. The screen shows that all the data are deleted and the reset is complete. Then, I chose the reboot menu with a hope that it will start fresh. NO. IT DIDN'T START. It got stuck in that infinite boot loop again with a Samsung logo on it.

I have no idea about what to do next. I think I tried everything I could possibly do (I'm really not good at using technological devices).

Is there any suggestion? Did I do something wrong while doing the manual "factory reset"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SJ

Upvote 0
That's a tough one, sounds like you're doing the reset correctly. Only other thing I can think to try would be to re-perform the update manually.

I don't have directions handy but you'll need too get the OTA update and stick it on your SD card. I've seen the method posted on various forums and I'm sure XDA has it posted somewhere.

Not sure why the VZW store you were at didn't just offer a replacement. They should have. Your other choice is to go back there and demand one. Good luck!

Reactions: sjksio2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones