• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread problems or not?

Gingerbread or not?

• Thumbs up. No major issues.

Votes: 61 35.1%
  • Thumbs up. Minor Issues, but I can live with it tho.

Votes: 52 29.9%
  • Thumbs down. Issues, but at least the phone rings.

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • Thumbs down. This really sucks.

Votes: 28 16.1%

• Total voters
I
1.) Low resolutions photo when on a call - seriously? The picture quality of the person I'm on the phone with during the call is TERRIBLE. They were clear before GB, but now they're blurry. This is completely ridiculous and not sure why they'd change the compression of this. It's almost hard to see the person's face at all.

This has been a problem on Froyo too. I don't know why the contact photo is such low res.

Upvote 0
This is the first time I've not liked my X. Since upgrading....

It misses most incoming calls
Random reboots (never did that before)
Slow sliding from screen to screen
Too many Swype typos

if you feel its no better, why not sbf back to froyo? and root the froyo, and rename the updater so you arent hasseled with the update, then unroot.

unless you want to stay rooted then i can help you more :)

Upvote 0
Bluetooth wonky on three DX's in three different vehicles. If the screen is "on" then voice dialing from the vehicles works fine. If the screen is "off" or on "lock screen" the first attempt doesn't wake up the BT connection and the call doesn't go through. After the first failed attempt the second attempt works. The three of us need a fix for this.

Upvote 0
Had my x just where I wanted it. Fast, rooted, great camera. All of a sudden, I woke up and found gingerbread had been downloaded and installed all by itself,(with a little help from vzw & moto ). My x Is now very slow, camera takes great psychedelic, if you like the color green, orange, and red. pictures, it won't play back the videos it takes, randomly reboot 2-5 times a day, the gps has to be reset almost every 10-20 miles. I'm ready to walk into my vzw store and throw it at someone. Probably would if I wouldn't get arrested.

Upvote 0
Wow - opinions on Gingerbread are all over the place...strange to read:thinking:. This is why I am so reluctant to try GB, even the 2-part rooted version. I've been thinking about giving it a go, but after all these conflicting posts I may just hold off until there is more of a positive consensus. For all those reporting problems I hope VZW comes out with a fix/patch soon...till then the OTA needs to be renamed "Ginger-smash":rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Stock unrooted. Purchased 7/15/2010 on release day. Minor issues with Froyo and GB but no major issues with either. I have done a couple of clean resets after each update which seems to have helped with most issues I was having. Worst issue I had under Froyo was sporadic inability to hear calls once they connected. That issue is gone since the GB update. Phone is running better than ever right now. Thumbs up...Love my DX!

Upvote 0
I think it blows. My phone no longer gets my emails unless i manually push a button and tell it to check my email and retrieve it. I also have the lagging keyboard issue as well. IS there a fix for this? I was thinking about calling Motorola but i don't know what good that could do.....

Try turning off word prediction. See if the lag and freezing keyboard goes away. Worth a shot. :)

Upvote 0
Issues:
1. Occasional drop of network, no text or calls can be made or received, no indication through the top task bar.(serious issue considering I'm on-call)
2. Constantly defaults to speaker phone when taking off of car dock(never did it before)
3. Had to restore to factory settings because when trying to text, as I would start to type the letters would disappear and it would go back to the main "text" list.
4. Random reboots

This was a disappointing update.

P

Upvote 0
This is terrible. It's so bad i am seriously considering getting my Moto Q9c out of the drawer. it's keyboard works so does the camera. it didn't crash nearly as much as my breaded DX does. (there it goes again power down powere up net droid logo, loading sd card...), it never got stuck in a phome call. my droid on froyo did evewrything. it was great my droid on GB is worse than my moto q on wm5.0. the q stayed on. someone explain to me why they did an update that removed functionality? info in my contacts isn't just lost, the place to put it in the stock app is no longer there? camera won't stay on resolution i set it on, Preview options on pics gone, swype is crazy now. I did a hard reset/factory restore and no better. phn down up down up. media player kicks out after like 5 songs, tunewiki locks up drops streams, phn locked up durring call and i couldn't hang up. when the other person hung up the "device" powered down and i had to pull battery to restart it. my battery has been out so much i can almost pull the cases and back one handed while driving. yea! naw im not pleased. very not pleased. the gingerbread man betta run cause he gonna be toast if he keeps this up.

so how does one go about reversing this terrible travisty? is there a link to a nice totorial somewhere that's designed for the most novice of newbies?

did i mention my back ups didn't completely back up? and i don't like the status bar or the fact that i relly didn't get like an option to do this it was just doing it. And then it rebooted then it rebooted then i couldn't find my contacts then it rebooted. then when i was listening to a song it frooze like frozen frooze. email, oh look i got an email. i know cause i'm on a pc. got it sunday. gmail at that. text messages are all messed up cause contacts are missing. I really could go on and on about how bad this is but i really don't want to sound negative. Lets see. I like the look of the screen when it's locked and you just "woke" it up. i like some of the graphic views. task bar ehh so-so.

Help HELP HEEEELLPPPPP!

Upvote 0
After inheriting a Droid X on Oct 23rd, rooting it with D3 Easy Root, and installing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, I was able to tie it to the same Google account as my LG Ally (of course it still has its original phone number with Verizon), and as such import access to my Google calendar. I turned off the Ally.

All my 10 daily repeating alarms and several single-instance alarms were working fine.

Then came the last Sunday in October (the traditional DST change date before our past illustrious leader arbitrarily changed it). Since then, I have had NO END of failed alarms, alarms sounding at the WRONG TIME, etc. But mostly just not sounding at ALL.

I've tried everything that worked in the past to fix an issue like this (which has history for me all the way back into the Palm OS). When nothing worked, I started some online sleuthing. Last night's Google of "Android Calendar Alarm Fail" got 1,000,50 returns. The first page leads mostly to the Verizon and Motorola forums, where I read endless accounts of the same nightmare I am experiencing. Everyone seems to feel their problems all began when Motorola released the Gingerbread update. Those who have downgraded back to Froyo claim the problems go away.

So, it does appear that Motorola somehow borked the Droid X calendar notification system with GB.

I am currently seeking some stepwise information on how to take my Droid X back to Froyo. If anyone can help me, please let me know. I am familiar with putting Velocity on the LG Ally, and of course rooting the Droid X as mentioned. Beyond that I don't yet know what to do to make this happen.

Upvote 0
Battery is being eaten by aliens!!!!!!
jie1.jpg

jie2.jpg

Calibrating your battery may help. It wasn't a miracle cure for me, but it did help the battery reporting mechanism to be more accurate. I recommend the Battery Calibration app by Nema.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones