1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support gingerbread problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pKOR, Aug 15, 2011.

1. pKOR

pKOR Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Graduate Student
    I just installed the Android 2.3 gingerbread and I seem to have totally screwed up my phone. It's an HTC droid eris which I believe was rooted before I got it and it had Froyo. After I loaded Gingerbread, I lost all my contacts as well as the ability to USB tether and import contacts from both gmail and facebook, and also the android market app. Great. So, I tried the hard reset where I held down the volume down, send key and power on button because I google searched my problems and the consensus seemed to be the hard reset. Now, I still have no market app, no contacts, still running Gingerbread, and for some reason I am not receiving text messages. I also can not USB tether or connect thru bluetooth.

How can I at least get the market app back? I think then I can download the apps to get my contacts back. Or is there any way to get rid of the Gingerbread and load Froyo?

Advertisement

2. metlcat

metlcat Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    Law School Student

Which ROM did you install? Did you check to see if there was a separate gapps zip that needed to be flashed? Usually when the market is missing it means gapps wasn't flashed.

3. pKOR

pKOR Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Graduate Student
  4. metlcat

None

Oct 24, 2010
    Law School Student
    Ok, you currently have the most incomplete version of gingerbread for the Eris right now. Kaos has not been maintained in months. Download this ROM instead: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/318705-condemned-cm7-27.html#post3040542

The vanilla version would be best for now. No need to flash a gapps zip with this ROM. Once it is flashed, you should be able to sign in using your gmail credentials and then you'll be back up and running, 100%. Just make sure you wipe data/factory reset and wipe dalvik cache before flashing.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

5. pKOR

pKOR Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Graduate Student
    Ok, that sounds like it will work (I think?). I really have no idea what any of that means other than the thing I loaded was wrong. How do I get the Vanilla on the phone? I can't tether to anything. I tried to download it direct to the phone but it wouldn't work.

Wait, nevermind, I got it to connect thru bluetooth! Now let's see if I can figure out how to load it...

6. pKOR

pKOR Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Graduate Student
    I got the .zip file on to the phone, but there's no application to open it. Now what do I do?

7. metlcat

None

Oct 24, 2010
    Law School Student
    Boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik cache, flash the ROM, reboot.

pKOR likes this.