1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gingerbread roll out starting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Reggie3, May 16, 2011.

1. Reggie3

Reggie3 Well-Known Member

tmwz likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. avgazn91

avgazn91 Member

awesome! this makes me happy.

Soooo... what's different about 2.3 from 2.2?

3. Reggie3

Reggie3 Well-Known Member

It was in the link:

The upgrade from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.3 offers an even greater user experience, with features including:

4. PhoneMatt

PhoneMatt Member

Sorry to be cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it. I seem to remember the "Froyo is coming soon" messages and remember the wait- the really long wait. So, just wake me when it gets here.

5. RavenFox

RavenFox Android Enthusiast

6. Banilejo

Banilejo Lurker

Don't we also need to wait for AT&T to roll this out on the Captivate? I think they were one of the main reasons why Froyo took so long too.

7. sharkhark

sharkhark Well-Known Member

2.2 sucks. it is worse than i had. so why get excited over 2.3

8. You know what, you're right. And while we're at it, lets find a way to boot 1.6 on here too because I hear that's the bee's knees.

I'm running 2.3.3 btw. It's better, trust me.

vilamonster and AndroidSPCS like this.
  9. GreatBigDave

GreatBigDave Member

Wow, does this mean Samsung and AT&T have actually worked together on this? And with the news that the Captivate will have sideloading enabled, I'm starting to think my Cap might become a playa again!

10. sharkhark

all i know is that in hindsight i would have been a better iphone user than a android..i was fed the line that it is better because you are not told what to do and how to look etc etc.
    but the reality is that my android phone does not run well, it locks up constantly, it force closes, it has weird moments of being frozen, i constantly am searching for ways to make it simply work as a phone, give me email etc.

I am not a programmer. i am not comfortable rooting it or doing things that void my warranty. I should not have to do that to get it to work, i should have gps.
    i dont. some of us that wanted that are told to buy a tomtom...let me get this straight, an iphone can do it all and i am supposedly expecting too much for a feature to work?
    Heck many androids, other than captivate do it all.

but i know this, i was made to be excited for froyo, why? because people talked in hushed tones about how awesome it would be. to this neophyte i had no idea why it was good i only knew i wanted it. i wanted it because everyone else wanted it.

then one day my rogers in canada kies account prompted me to get 2.2 and i jumped for joy...why? cuz i was told to...i didnt know why or what to expect, but supposedly its better, faster etc.
    I was ahead of the US for a change..wow. ...that is neat...or so i thought..

well now my battery drains faster.
    my swype works horribly, much worse than before.
    my browsing experience is worse.
    the android market is worse and force closes.
    my camera locks up for no reason and did not before.
    I dont know how much of this is 2.2 but i do know this, its worse now, way worse to use in everyday life and i will not break my warranty and want nothing to do with rooting and the instructions to back up and to do that...anyhow...are i am sure easy to those techies..but to this everyday person...they are so long and complicated and use terms i am not familiar with.....2.2 sucks worse than 2.1 so i have no excitement over 2.3

julie524 and thamiltoncanada like this.
  11. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert

you probably got a bad phone. and yes iphones work...usually. except when they cant get reception, or break on your first drop because they are made out of glass. and after the update did you master clear your phone? i highly doubt it. and im wondering why, in your info, you said you have a "wonderful captivate"

12. btswein

btswein Guest

Okay, but does this mean the Galaxy S (I9000) or the Galaxy S line, including Captivate, Fascinate (does it even have Froyo yet?) etc. Because different articles say different things.

13. CrimsonPride

this article says "entire line of galaxy s phones," so if the article is correct than all of them will receive it

14. btswein

btswein Guest

Right, however the press release doesn't say that. It says Galaxy S :)

15. ctleng76

ctleng76 Lurker

You are probably right about having a better experience as an iPhone user. However, Android isn't the reason you're having a bad experience. It is because of Samsung's poor software. Android is customized by each manufacturer to run on their phones. While Samsung designed great phone from a hardware perspective, their software is horrible. Before you decide to be done with Android, check out one of HTC's phones. They have a much better track record with software than Samsung.

16. jpovis

jpovis Well-Known Member

I have a very Happy Cappy running Gingerbread. No bloatware, no BS, not even an ATT logo at startup. It's my phone and I am using it the way I want to.
    Rooted and Rommed with Continuum 5.4.1. It flies! And I have Netflix.
    Head over to XDA Developers and set your phone free!

17. sharkhark

you might be right.... a friend in the US has a fairly recent HTC phone and loves it...he funny enough had a bad samsung a yr or two ago that did all kinds of force closes etc and he got the htc and has not looked back...loves it. says it works like a dream.
    so ok, maybe you are right...i may consider that. i just think that some chimed in and said maybe i got a bad phone. um...possibly..but then why did it work before...why did it get progressively worse. if i am a rarity why is this very forum so full of all kinds of people..tons of people with issues?
    whether that is android or samsung captivate...its not good either way.

i agree maybe an htc would be better but in general you discuss any issues and the answer is always someone jumping on and blabbing about rooting as if the avg customer is comfortable doing that...not to mention i would void my warranty.
    look up above me and sure enough...some rooting fan has already jumped on. i just want my unit to work in stock format..if i have to follow instructions that involve so much risk and dont know what to do if i hit a roadbump that is not for me.

heck i go to the grocery store with a list of four ingredients and screw it up and someone wants me to follow the two hundred item long list of how to back up and root and sideload....sideload? what is that...a dump on the side of the road? i dont have a clue and dont want to do it.

and for the person who jumped on here and asked why it says wonderful captivate as one of my signatures...sorry...i should have changed that..but you have to know i put that in during the honeymoon phase of the first week of ownership...and have been so busy ever since....over the mths..fixing various stupid issues and problems..that taking the time to change that was not my first concern....
    ..heck today i had a whole new issue...accessing ebay locks up...freezes...a couple haptic feedbacks and boom..it force closes...everyday its a new problem...
    i have a swype employee trying to figure out why since 2.2 came out with updated swype...i have lost my love for swype...with 2.1 it was great..now...its not able to spell more than half the words right unless i slooooowly type...............sigh

18. Sarius24

Sarius24 Well-Known Member

This phone is so decent just put a rom on it and it's good.

19. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Any word on if it will have bluetooth voice dialing?

20. CrimsonPride

2.2.1 has it so im sure 2.3.x has it. im on 2.3.3 now and i would test it but i never use it and dont have any way to test it

21. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast

Uh, CrimsonPride was right. It DOES say the entire Galaxy S family line, which the captivate belongs to. The article even explicitly says North America included. Did you even read the article? Kinda being an ass here, but...come on man. :eek:

22. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast

The latest 2.3.3 leaked ROM from Samsung for the Epic still uses the RFS file system. This is bad news for those who don't flash. Hopefully Samsung will switch to a faster FS (like ext4) before release but it's not looking too good right now.

23. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast

Yes, and the Captivate was always a playa, it's always been a very good model.

There were just too many people bitching about issues, most of which could be resolved. By patient I don't mean the time involved waiting for Froyo. I mean the time to sort out the few issues that users made into one of the most bitched about Android phones ever.

There's no perfect phone. If one's not willing to put up with some bugs that all tech devices have, perhaps they should not be buying a smartphone.

Me? I've had mine since release day. Spent a little time here and there working through things and getting a good Android education in the process. It was a great learning experience.

I'm still enjoying mine along with the other Androids I switch off with just for fun and variety.

Cheers :)

Uncle_Rico and RavenFox like this.
  24. RavenFox

RavenFox Android Enthusiast

Great post. Thanked!

Aatos.1 likes this.
  25. MarkusMan

MarkusMan Lurker

I have the same problem with my phone hanging and freezing up, but it seems to be more from the downloaded apps than the Android OS. One thing I hope they changed in 2.3 is the fact the media scanner will just delete my playlist files .PLS, I think that is a load of crap. Just because the phone doesn't think they can be used, it shouldn't just delete them. That is a very very bad choice of the google developers to do that.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews