• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread Root help

I've got an Evo 4g, Android version 2.3.5, baseband 2.15.00.19, and I'm trying to use the HTCDev method to root my phone. I made an account on htcdev, and made the folder, opened command prompt, and found the c:/android folder.

On step 8, I typed in the fastboot get identifier command, but it only says "waiting on device"

Back on step 4, when I select "fastboot" the phone says "no image or wrong image" and doesn't do anything.

I did download and install and update the HTC sync, but when I connect the phone to the USB port it isn't doing anything, sync manager says "no device connected." I have never been able to make the HTC Sync work with either my laptop or desktop with any of my 4 Evo phones. The HTC sync manager I had before this one I installed from here would tell me the device malfunctioned, or something about the driver, now it just doesn't do anything, at all, besides charge even though I have HTC Sync selected for USB connection type...with and without debugging selected.

I've got an Evo 4g, Android version 2.3.5, baseband 2.15.00.19, and I'm trying to use the HTCDev method to root my phone. I made an account on htcdev, and made the folder, opened command prompt, and found the c:/android folder.

On step 8, I typed in the fastboot get identifier command, but it only says "waiting on device"

Back on step 4, when I select "fastboot" the phone says "no image or wrong image" and doesn't do anything.

I did download and install and update the HTC sync, but when I connect the phone to the USB port it isn't doing anything, sync manager says "no device connected." I have never been able to make the HTC Sync work with either my laptop or desktop with any of my 4 Evo phones. The HTC sync manager I had before this one I installed from here would tell me the device malfunctioned, or something about the driver, now it just doesn't do anything, at all, besides charge even though I have HTC Sync selected for USB connection type...with and without debugging selected.
Do you know what hboot version you have?
Have you tried different usb cords or usb ports?

Edit: Are you following this guide?
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

Upvote 0

I have done this a couple of times now and I know Mikestony will help.

However for what its worth...I got stuck on the "waiting for device" thing also...then I grew impatient and hit the power button to select "fastboot" in the bootloader...that somehow kicked everything into gear and generated the identifier token that you need to get.

I never saw that in the instructions but it happened to me twice in a week (2 different phones).

I know before I tpye this all in someone with have already asked you if you have the fastboot and abd files in the android folder for sure.

also to clarify you typed c:/android folder... I assume you used the other slash not the forward slash when you typed it into the command prompt? like this C:\android>fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys!

Mike, the white screen says hboot version is 2.18.0001, does that sound right?

I did try 2 different cords, but I'm overdue for a new cord, I go through them like crazy. Also swapped to all of the USB ports I have on my laptop and tried to hold my tongue in a different position but that didn't seem to help either! :p I am trying to follow that guide, the first one that says htcdev method.

Chile, I cycled through the fastboot a couple times while the msdos screen said waiting for the device. I'm not a stranger/complete noob to ms dos, and I'm pretty sure I was in the right directory. That's worth double checking tomorrow though.

I'm at work right now with no laptop so tomorrow morning I'll grab a new usb cord and reattempt this, any more advice is gladly welcomed! I spent a few (3) hours trying to figure out where I went wrong before i posted this thread, but if theres a way to do it wrong I'll find it every time!

Does my sync HAVE to be in good working order for this to work, I don't know if I should concentrate on troubleshooting my HTC sync issue first or not?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys!

Mike, the white screen says hboot version is 2.18.0001, does that sound right?

I did try 2 different cords, but I'm overdue for a new cord, I go through them like crazy. Also swapped to all of the USB ports I have on my laptop and tried to hold my tongue in a different position but that didn't seem to help either! :p I am trying to follow that guide, the first one that says htcdev method.

Chile, I cycled through the fastboot a couple times while the msdos screen said waiting for the device. I'm not a stranger/complete noob to ms dos, and I'm pretty sure I was in the right directory. That's worth double checking tomorrow though.

I'm at work right now with no laptop so tomorrow morning I'll grab a new usb cord and reattempt this, any more advice is gladly welcomed! I spent a few (3) hours trying to figure out where I went wrong before i posted this thread, but if theres a way to do it wrong I'll find it every time!

Does my sync HAVE to be in good working order for this to work, I don't know if I should concentrate on troubleshooting my HTC sync issue first or not?

Yes, that hboot sounds correct.
Just follow the guide I linked.
Also, even try toggling "usb debugging" off, then on again in that "waiting for device" screen.
You may or may not have to re-download the drivers. (which is included with the htc sync)
Perhaps uninstall htc sync and reinstall:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones