• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread SMS/predictive text question

mawingo

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
Loooong T-Mobile story short, my wife's HD7 is out, and the Samsung Galaxy Blaze is in. I am already working through a lot of transition issues, as she has been so used to the WP7 interface. I have a question specifically around the SMS interface. When typing a response, the predictive text is quite annoying. Specifically with how the list of potential words pops up for each word typed, disappears between words, and pops back up when typing the next word. This causes the whole block of previous messages to move up and down at the same time, so it's visually distracting. Turning off predictive text/spell check fixes this, but then no predictive text or spell check. Sooo... my question is this. My HTC Sensation does not do this. The block where the predictive text appears is fixed. But, it's also ICS and I don't remember if it did this before with Gingerbread. Is the fixed area a feature of ICS? If so, we can wait for the ICS release to resolve it. If not and it's a Samsung thing, is there a workaround?
Please note that I have tried Handcent and Go SMS Pro, they do the same thing.
I found a screenshot on Google. The part I'm talking about is the block where the guessed words are. It physically disappears between typing on the Blaze, causing the page shift.

SwiftKeyX.jpg

I just tried the stock (Gingerbread) keyboard on my phone, and there the word suggestions disappear between words but a list of punctuation suggestions seem to appear instead, so the text doesn't move up and down. So could be a Samsung thing, though my software is custom so the stock keyboard may not be identical to yours even if Samsung are using a stock GB keyboard rather than their own. I thought Sammy usually installed their own keyboard apps though. Try a long press in the input box (where you are typing) and select "input method" from the menu that pops up: do you have any other keyboard options?

Your Sensation will be using a HTC keyboard unless you have changed it, so can't really be compared.

The screen shot you show is SwiftKey 3, which is another solution: you could use a third party keyboard app instead if you can't stop it doing that.

Reactions: mawingo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones