• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gingerbread to the UK - Woohooo!!! (photos)

Solarwind

Jun 29, 2010
(Via Kies). Finally!!!

P1030183.jpg

P1030184.jpg

P1030187.jpg

P1030186.jpg

:) :) :)

Got mine yesterday on Orange, but unbranded.

Woa really, I'm on Orange too. This is odd to say the least. How can the update roll out sooner in some parts of the UK than others? I could understand other countries getting the updates at different times, but this is ridiculous. I have the latest version of kies, and theres nothing I can do. Should I remove kies and reinstall it or what?..

To be quite honest I'm almost speechless as to how a simple update could seemingly be so botched..?! Lol amazing.

Upvote 0
Yes Im using 3G contract and updated to Gingerbread 2.3.3 via KIES new version and it prefect running that was yesterday when it came up - it lots better than the much bugs in Froyo cos the Froyo I used was lots of crashing, freezing and i have to reset by wiped off and start again but updated to Gbread that lots better without problems - im glad as Ive got all my software I used a lots that work excellent.. hooray,

Upvote 0
up2nogood - you probably have an orange handset, which means you need to wait for orange to put their fairy dust on you version. add another month or two

Oh god. Open your window and listen very carefully... Can you hear that? Its the sound of my head hitting my desk over and over.

No wonder they've introduced 24 month contracts, perhaps its to give hope to users that they may still use the phone when they eventually get round to putting the update online.

Upvote 0
I've just upgraded to 2.3.3 XXJVO etc (per original screenshots) but now Titanium Backup won't run! It says it can't root:

"ERROR
Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges..."

I followed the "Problems?" prompt and updated the SuperUser app as well as the BusyBox thing, but no improvement.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this, please?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Upvote 0
Is this a hoax? I'm in the UK, I've got my samsung galaxy s connected to kies as we speak with 2.2.1 and Its saying "This is the latest firmware". I dont see how this can be possible?

"Is this a hoax"!? Are you having a giraffe mate!? :D

You think I went to all this trouble to chop some photos and post them as a joke? For the benefit of who!?

I am running Gingerbread on a stock SIM free handset. Perhaps your SGS version aint ready for an upgrade yet?

Hoax.... PMSL! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
"Is this a hoax"!? Are you having a giraffe mate!? :D

You think I went to all this trouble to chop some photos and post them as a joke? For the benefit of who!?

I am running Gingerbread on a stock SIM free handset. Perhaps your SGS version aint ready for an upgrade yet?

Hoax.... PMSL! :rolleyes:

I can confirm also, Got 2.3.3 last night and its sexy. No major changes, but here goes my list of small ones;

SMOOTHER overall, apps launch quicker, no lag switching homescreens even with live desktop and lots of widgets.... fone just feels quicker (major plus!)

Slight visual differences (ie. pull down menu).

Battery use/management and other status indicators in settings seem like they're giving lots more info. Think my favourite is the detailed breakdown of exactly what has used my battery, how it used it etc.

RAM clear is now simple one button push and ya done. and phone does not lag like mad for 5-10 seconds after a RAM flush.

Sure there are lots more...

So now, because I can, I'm going to sum up my GalaxyS experience for anyone who gives a damn:

I get my Galaxy S (Updated from Omnia I8000 on windows mobile).
Its running froyo 2.2.
I think "Boy, this makes my old phone look like a pocket calculator, its 99% perfect (and would be 100% if it wern't for the occasional lag.)
Then, a week or two in, 2.2.1 comes along and the lag was all gone so this phone was literally 100% perfection in my eyes.

Thing is, with GingerBread.... its now 110%... and i f***ing love it.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones