• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread Update Failed -HTC EVO sprint unrevoked

kaptainkid

Lurker
Jun 7, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I unrevoked my HTC evo months ago and now I want to install "Gingerbread" update from Sprint. I freed up enough space on my phone memory and it seems the update isn't installing correctly. The following failure appears:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Now I'm at the ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5.

Does anyone have this problem and know the solution?
I want Gingerbread on my HTC EVO, please help me! :eek:

Using the Search feature here will get you about anything you need.
This from Novox77 may help you:

Update: Rooted version of the 2.3 OTA update is ready!
Both odexed and deodexed versions can be found in this thread:
[ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- odexed & deodexed ---

If you are confused about what is in the above link and how to go about flashing the ROM, see this thread:
Quick Guide to the rooted stock 2.3 ROM

This is the official HTC Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update for the Evo 4G! For unrooted users, accepting the OTA will commence the upgrade. Rooted users should not accept the OTA update, but rather flash the rooted version of the OTA update (available above). As always, do a NANDroid backup before flashing anything, so you have the option to recover if something goes wrong.

OTA discussion thread is here:
2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO

First impressions here:
Impressions of the new 2.3 OTA ROM

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Hey Vailpass,

Thanks for the link and the updates via Rooted phones. Honestly, I'm novice when it comes to installing ROM on my rooted phone. It took me 4 different computers and 10 try before I was able to root my phone properly and I don't know how it even happened. I'm not sure how to installed the Gingerbread ROM, let a lone the terminology. What's "OTA"? Do I install the 2.3 Gingerbread via my computer or can I do it from the phone? It's all too confusing and I will need help from someone. Thanks agains for the link, i'll try to figure it out one day.

Upvote 0
I am a n00b. Go to the main page, look up at the top where the sub-forums are listed, go to "All Things Root".
Top right is the "Search This Forum" option. Search first. If you can't find your answer then post a question, there are some heavy hitters in there that can help if you have first tried to help yourself.

OTA="over the air", any updates Sprint tries to send you are OTA and should not be accepted if you are rooted.

Hang in there, you'll get yourself set up.

Upvote 0
Hey Vailpass,

Thanks for the link and the updates via Rooted phones. Honestly, I'm novice when it comes to installing ROM on my rooted phone. It took me 4 different computers and 10 try before I was able to root my phone properly and I don't know how it even happened. I'm not sure how to installed the Gingerbread ROM, let a lone the terminology. What's "OTA"? Do I install the 2.3 Gingerbread via my computer or can I do it from the phone? It's all too confusing and I will need help from someone. Thanks agains for the link, i'll try to figure it out one day.

Do you want to stay rooted? Do you still have s-off in hboot? To get to hboot, power off then hold volume down+power til the white bootloader screen comes up. top left will say s-on or s-off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones