1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SekiTimewalker, Aug 5, 2011.

1. SekiTimewalker

SekiTimewalker Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Machine Operator/ Quality Control
    New Hampshire
    I did some research and I couldn't find anything about the original Droid getting Gingerbread. Does anyone know for sure if it is getting it,or are we going to get left in the dust? I'm up for upgrade in November, so I can wait until then, but it would be nice to get it now.

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Seki, the OG Droid will NEVER get an offical Gingerbread upgrade. It simply doesn't have the hardware (i.e., memory) to support it correctly.

Developers have done wonders at creating custom Gingerbread ROMs that squeeze onto Droids, but many Droids - like mine - can't or won't run it well... if at all.

If you're not willing to root and try a custom Gingerbread ROM, then you are going to be on Froyo until you upgrade phones. I know I'm waiting anxiously for the Samsung Stratosphere, the "supposed" Verizon version of the Galaxy S II: currently the best-selling Android phone on earth.

I know that's not the answer you were hoping for, but the Droid is too obsolete to receive such a major upgrade when phones like the Droid Charge and Bionic are out or imminent. :eek:

SekiTimewalker likes this.
  3. SekiTimewalker

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    New Hampshire
    Well, not what I was hoping the answer to be, but it is what I figured. Thanks. I was looking at the Function for my next phone, I heard that was supposed to be the Galaxy S II.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    There's a lot of agreement that the Function has become, in fact, the Stratosphere.

SO one of the Admins opted to combine the Function and Stratosphere forums into a single forum and inadvertently deleted them both! :eek: :(

Oh well, things happen :rolleyes: so you're cordially invited to the Stratosphere forum to sweat it out along with the rest of us...

5. JxIcekilla

JxIcekilla Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    im 13
    cali
    nope. it hasnt been rumored but root + rom = gingerbread :) cm7 or liquid or almost anything else with base off 2.3.4 and 2.3.5

6. SekiTimewalker

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    New Hampshire
    Learn new things every day. Ok, I'll head there, but I hate heat, so I'll chill it out with the rest of you guys.