1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Gingersence 3.0 and root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Aveamantium, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    About ready to pull the trigger on Nils Gingersense 3.0 as well (anyone tried 3.5?). However, couple of questions for this Noob... Looking at all things root the guides don't seem to mention the radio installation portion?? Also, does Gingersense include Google Apps? Just looking for a good step by step guide specific to Gingersense. Thanks!

Advertisement

raghublr likes this.
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    You don't really need the radio, you can update it through hboot if you want it though. Basically just root and either wipe/load through rom manager or my personal preference...full wipe and load the rom (zip) from the sd card directly in Clockwork.

Aveamantium likes this.
  3. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    I plan on doing a full wipe and load so because I'm a noob can I clarify a little? The way I see it:

1) Root
    2) Download Rom Manager
    3) Flash ClockworkMod 3.0
    4) Flash hboot 0.92 from boot screen (or ClockworkMod Recovery)
    5) Flash Radio from boot screen (or ClockworkMod Recovery) <= So you don't need to do this? Is there advantages to doing this??
    6) Wipe (starting from scratch, don't care about old apps) <= Do you do this in the ClockworkMod or Rom Manager??
    7) Flash ROM from ClockworkMod Recovery

Thanks in Advance!!

Edit: Also do you need Google Apps for this ROM to get the Market??

4. Vatundra1

Vatundra1 Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    I didnt change the radio until after I had been running the ROM for a few days. I've only tried the 11.19 but I didnt see much in the way of performance. The radio flash is not required - that I know of.
    3.0 came with the new Market. Hope that helps you.

Aveamantium likes this.
  5. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Did you do the other steps I mentioned above including the hboot 0.92? Also when you "wipe" before you install I'm assuming this is "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition" and "Wipe Dalvik" and "Wipe Battery Stats" correct?

6. Vatundra1

Vatundra1 Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2011

Yeah, your steps look like the same procedure I did. I followed the steps here: [ROM] Nils' Business GingerSense - (6/6/2011 V1.) Android 2.3.3 - Sense 2.1/ Some 3.0 - xda-developers

I did have to do it a few times to get it up and running smoothly. It's my first time flashing ROM's and rooting, so it was probably due to my "noob"ness.

7. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    ^Hope that helps.

Aveamantium likes this.
  8. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    That was perfect, Thanks!

After root and CWM I do indeed show Hboot 0.92 and CWM 5.0.2! I also have radio 2.15.00.07.28 so I guess I'll upgrade my radio later if need be. Thanks!!!

9. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    Good thinking. To be honest most people notice very little difference in radios. Wait and you can always change it later if you want. You have plenty on your plate now...on to flashing a new rom and getting that set up. Couple other tips I'd add is to get a few root apps if you don't already:

1.) Root Explorer
    2.) Titanium Backup paid edition (allows batch restore of all apps)

There are many others that could be mentioned but IMO the above two are the absolute must have apps.

10. answerman

answerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Appleton, WI
    You should be good with radio 2.15.00.07.28.

I'll second Iowabowtech on Root Explorer (it is a must have) but my personal opinion is to not use Titanium Backup. I'm too nitpicky. When I flash a new ROM (just like when I format my HD and reinstall Windows) I want to do everything by hand, so I know that I've installed just the apps/programs I want, and I want to go through the install procedure for each one. That's just me though... looks like everyone else in the world uses Titanium, so maybe I'm the odd one here...

Incidentally, good choice on Nils' Business Gingersense 3.0. I've been running it for over a month and absolutely love it. All of the good Sense and Gingerbread stuff and none of the bad. I'm waiting for him to get through a couple more revisions on 3.5 before I take that step.

11. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    You're not alone on the reloading issue. I have no issue reloading apps from scratch! But I will look into the Root Explorer... Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what is the main reason for having the Root Explorer?

12. batwings1

batwings1 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 12, 2010
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Completely agree. Gingersense 3.0 is awesome. I can't believe everything I was missing by using stock ROM (just rooted for the first time a few days ago).

13. answerman

answerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Appleton, WI
    Quite simply: access and modify any file on the phone, including the ones that are normally hidden from view. Lots of other stuff it does, but that's the big one.

iowabowtech likes this.
  14. StevenZ

StevenZ Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    I rooted OK, but ran into a couple of operator-error problems flashing the ROM:
    1. I right-clicked on the 'download' link on the XDA page, and couldn't figure how it might be that the 16k file was all I needed. Eventually, clicking through that link took me to a page to download the actual 281MB file.
    2. I couldn't flash the selected file until I renamed it update.zip
    Given that I actually succeeded, and it was only difficult for me because I made it difficult, perhaps my doofusness will help you avoid your own.

15. Aveamantium

Aveamantium Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Upgrade went well... Few things I noticed, even thought I did ALL the wipe commands in CWM I still had data on my internal phone memory (music and other folders)? Can't seem to clear the SD card (unmounted and deleted but the data remained). Did a Factory Reset in Nils Gingersense and this left the phone in a bad state and had to reflash.

16. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Multimedia
    West
    Just rooted last night and installed Gingersense. The added functionality of the new ROM is great since I use it for work. The stock mail app for Exchange is much easier to handle email and delete (has check boxes next to each message like the Gmail app.) And settings access from the notification pull-down is great. Basically, it like getting a new phone with tons of new features. Thanks to Nils for his hard work on this--it's been working great. I haven't noticed much lag like some posters...it seems as snappy as the stock. Too early to tell about battery life compared to stock...

17. jamala00

jamala00 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    I guess this is all a matter of opinion. I flashed Gingersense 3.0 and after a couple weeks flashed back to the GB OTA ROM. I personally didn't care for the ring lock screen. I don't like the bubble SMS\MMS app one bit. I know, you can install handsent or whatever, but I just like the nice simple SMS\MMS app. I kind of like the dark theme keyboard and other screens. Nils did a great job, but me personally could take it or leave it.

18. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    If you like that, you would love the black dialer add on. I'm running it on Jermaine's stock + rom and it rules. Also applies to contacts. Killer graphics with an anti-iphone icon added in there just for fun. ;)

19. jamala00

jamala00 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 9, 2011

Actually I was just looking at that the other day. Was thinking to myself. Now this is just enough tweeking for me. I like a lot of the stock OTA items, but the dark dialer and notification pull down he added along with a few other nice icon mods. Was just trying to decide if it was enough for me to make the change... I think I might have to give it a try. He removed some things like VZ Navigtor and such as well..!! That's a plus.

20. iowabowtech

None

May 2, 2010
    Iowa|USA
    I added the black dialer and the rosie remap. Both killer features. I use the net a lot so I always map my button to open Dolphin. Yeah it's the perfect blend of stock GB with just a few tweaks that really make it ideal for me.

21. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Multimedia
    West
    Just thought I'd share that after rooting and installing Gingersense, the audio quality from incoming calls is much better. I had choppy call quality in my stock phone. It was bad enough that I had to ask callers to repeat what they were saying and I chalked it up to bad cell connection. Since flashing the new ROM, call quality is crystal clear. I didn't flash a new radio, so I'm assuming it's how the new ROM processes calls. I'm not just imagining this. I also notice that my screen seems much more saturated. Photos, app icons, colors in the calendar and even websites in the browser seem much more vivid. I realize there's a lot more color use in the ROM (even the battery icon in the notification bar changes color!), but it's noticeably different. Again, I know I'm not imagining these things. Like I said, it's like getting a new phone! And no, I haven't been hitting the nearby medical Mary J store!