• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GingerShedBread v1.3

knitpurlgurl

Android Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2010
www.knitpurlgurl.com
Anyone else running this? I flashed it today. I had been running GSB v1.2 and I don't find it to really be any different. I see a lot of ppl on XDA saying that it is smoother.. et cetera.

So far I like it. I need to play with it a bit more. I found v1.2 to have default notification sound glitches (would spontaneously revert) and it didn't play nicely with Flickr Companion. Also, I had some FC issues with the camera and the video. So those are the things I'm going to play with to see if the v1.3 differences lie there.

Otherwise, it's a pretty stable ROM. I know a lot of ppl are reporting issues with Nav, but it's not GSB necessarily that is causing the issue. I find it to be slightly faster than the FroShedYo Vanilla ROM, but not extremely noticeable.

What are y'all finding with your experiences?

a word of caution about formatting your SD card... i read thru tazz's thread after noticing the those recomendations. alot of folks are having trouble with tazz's GB,and seems like the ones having the most issue are the ones who followed the directions,lol...

tazz himself had not done it, simply wiped and flashed.

i dint do it on shedbread or tazz and both have been working fine for me.

for whatever thats worth,anyway. :)

Reactions: knitpurlgurl
Upvote 0
a word of caution about formatting your SD card... i read thru tazz's thread after noticing the those recomendations. alot of folks are having trouble with tazz's GB,and seems like the ones having the most issue are the ones who followed the directions,lol...

tazz himself had not done it, simply wiped and flashed.)

I did NOT format my SD card either. I wiped and flashed. So far, my notification settings haven't reverted to default settings. I just took a cpl pics and had no issues uploading them to Flickr. I'll have to play with the video later to see how that's working.

Upvote 0
I'm running this as well. The only problem I'm having is simiclock keeps freezing on me. None of the other widgets are doing this, and I have tried two different release versions of the .apk. Guess I have to find another clock widget (I've been testing a few to see what I like).

Upvote 0

tazz himself had not done it, simply wiped and flashed.

i dint do it on shedbread or tazz and both have been working fine for me.

for whatever thats worth,anyway. :)

If I'm not mistaken, I think that the recommendation to format was just an easier way to clear the .android_secure folder used by Froyo and up to store apps moved to the SD card. Probably a better way is to use something like Astro to delete (or rename) that folder before you flash GSB. And stop using apps2sd - I think that the Froyo method is more troublesome than the apps2sd method used with ext partitions on 2.1 ROMs.

I've decided to wait on GSB until CyanogenMod gets further along, but I ran GSB 1.2 for a few days with very minimal issues. It's really a decent build, and the issues I was having were very, very minor.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken, I think that the recommendation to format was just an easier way to clear the .android_secure folder used by Froyo and up to store apps moved to the SD card. Probably a better way is to use something like Astro to delete (or rename) that folder before you flash GSB. And stop using apps2sd - I think that the Froyo method is more troublesome than the apps2sd method used with ext partitions on 2.1 ROMs.

could one also simply delete that folder with the phone plugged into the pc? after dragging it to a suitable other spot to to live for awhile in case its needed again later :D

is there another folder one should get rid of having to do with thr apps to sd thing? i know i havent moved any with my last few roms... i cant remember actually if ive ever used that feature on the eris.

Upvote 0
i switched over to tazz's v3.5 since people were having so much trouble with it. i did not partition my card. the first flash i did the rom,the vzw change,and the gapps. had the reboot prollem discussed in the thread(lots of folks getting reboot a couple seconds every time after phone comes up- somehow connected to flashing the gapps). so i wiped again,flashed the rom and the vzw change and rebooted.

no more reboots,pretty smooth and solid. when you first try and slide from one home screen to another it lags a little.

i may try deleting the folder as doogald suggested and see how that affects it. at any rate both of these roms are awsome for how early it is in their development :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones