• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GingerVillain 1.8

Hi folks, wondering of anyone can help...

Been running GV since about 1.0 I think, no probs up till now. Installed 1.8 today, as well as Eviollet (sp?) kernel which I had been using previously with no probs...

Just re-booted from recovery (came out without doing anything) and green bootscreen (green laser-droid one!) came up, seemed to load homepage but only the notification bar showed, rest of screen was blank. Eventually went back to green android laser, and now phone is completely black, all the buttons along the bottom are lit up...

Any ideas?... Have read about taking the battery out but wanted to check first!

Cheers for any replies!

Scooby.:)

PS- quite new to this whole thing but been doing a whole lot of reading here and on xda.... only mods etc ive attempted are themes, kernels, and the sd card tweak mentioned in a thread on xda...

Upvote 0
seems to have sorted it, thanks. ;)

Was going to ask you a different question the other day actually... I noticed some time ago you explained how you remove certain apps from GV before you flash the zip... to lighten it a bit.

Just thinking I might like to do that as theres loads of stuff I dont use... talk and dial, search, weather wigets and apps etc... is there a great deal of harm to be done removing willie-nillie, these and other stock apps I dont use? Are any dangerous to remove apart from the more obvious looking ones which are essential to the way your android works, ie syncing with google email, calendar etc.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Here is what I have left. I DO keep talk, but remove gmail and maps (I have gmail in data/app)

# ls /system/app
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Bluetooth.apk
Browser.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
Camera.apk
CertInstaller.apk
CMParts.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DownloadProviderUi.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Gallery3D.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
kickback.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Mms.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
Phone.apk
PicoTts.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SetupWizard.apk
soundback.apk
SoundRecorder.apk
Superuser.apk
SystemUI.apk
Talk.apk
talkback.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
ThemeChooser.apk
ThemeManager.apk
TtsService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
Vending.apk
villainsetup.apk
VoiceSearch.apk

I couldnt recommend cutting it down any more.

Upvote 0
Always when i start the phone on boot i get a Force Close for LauncherPro, on GV 1.7 i didnt have Fc`s with it.
Any ideas whats the problem here?

I had the same problem a few versions back but can't recall exactly how I fixed it.

Try this : go into Cyanogen settings > performance and select 'Lock home in memory' then set VM heap size to 32. If that doesn't work, or it was already set, backup LP settings, then wipe data in Manage Applications and see if that solves it.

Reactions: solosaniok
Upvote 0
Here is what I have left. I DO keep talk, but remove gmail and maps (I have gmail in data/app)

# ls /system/app
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Bluetooth.apk
Browser.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
Camera.apk
CertInstaller.apk
CMParts.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DownloadProviderUi.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Gallery3D.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
kickback.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Mms.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
Phone.apk
PicoTts.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SetupWizard.apk
soundback.apk
SoundRecorder.apk
Superuser.apk
SystemUI.apk
Talk.apk
talkback.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
ThemeChooser.apk
ThemeManager.apk
TtsService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
Vending.apk
villainsetup.apk
VoiceSearch.apk

I couldnt recommend cutting it down any more.

Out of interest Dan, what did you use to remove the unwanted programmes? Titanium?

Upvote 0
Out of interest Dan, what did you use to remove the unwanted programmes? Titanium?
If you are S-Off and just want to remove the odd app then uninstalling using Ti works just fine.

If you want to trim the ROM down before flashing then deleting them from the zip is what you want.

Reactions: turbohobbit
Upvote 0
Any way to fix the random restarts on GV?

I've been using GV since 0.7 and I could count the number of random restarts I've had on one hand.

What kernel are you using?
Try an SVS if you're using HAVS.

Are you using custom vdd? If so try increasing your minimum voltages

Overclocking? Try using standard voltage range of 245-998

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones