• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GingerVillain 1.8

I've been using GV since 0.7 and I could count the number of random restarts I've had on one hand.

What kernel are you using?
Try an SVS if you're using HAVS.

Are you using custom vdd? If so try increasing your minimum voltages

Overclocking? Try using standard voltage range of 245-998

I'm using Set CPU but I am only using the default detected speeds. I didn't set anything manually. I'm using the default kernel. Never changed it.

Which one would you recommend and how do I get it?

Upvote 0
The default kernel is the GV SVS one, which should be the most compatible of the GV kernels. So to be explicit, your speed range is 245-998? And do the restarts generally happen when the phone is idling, or when it's been running intensively, or really no pattern?

It's possible that your phone is less tolerant of undervolting than most, and that even the default voltage levels go too low. In this case you might want to use the sysfs interface to raise the minimum voltages slightly above the default (especially if crashes tend to happen when idle).

Or you could try one of EViollet's kernels (available via Villain Setup). If your phone is suffering random restarts I'd generally recommend SVS, but as it sounds like you are using SVS already you could just try both and see.

Upvote 0
When I autodetect speeds in setCPU is shows 245000 to 1113600. Should I lower the max speed? Is that possibly the cause?

I have had 4 restarts that I can specifically recall the circumstances in the last month. 2 happened while surfing the web using the browser (in one case I was watching streaming video, so probably working the CPU hard). One happened when I was trying to type an email using the default mail program. One happened when the phone was not being used and it was off and in my pocket. (I felt the vibration when it rebooted and thought it was a message.)

FWIW, I am not on GV1.8. I didn't stay there long because it seemed to have problems on my phone where apps just weren't connecting or working correctly. I rolled back to 1.6. All of these reboots have been while on 1.6.

Upvote 0
When I autodetect speeds in setCPU is shows 245000 to 1113600. Should I lower the max speed? Is that possibly the cause?
So you are using the full range of speeds possible with that kernel. Anything above 998 is overclocked. 1113 isn't usually a problem, but handsets differ so reducing this slightly is one thing to try. If you try an Eviollet kernel don't push the max all the way up, because they will let you go all the way to 1190, which many phones can't handle. I'd certainly not try anything higher than 1113 until you know you are stable at that speed.

If it's 4 reboots in 2 months it may take a while before you know for sure if a fix works though.

Upvote 0
Try another kernel like Hadron suggested.

Reboot whilst doing stuff usually means overclocked too high. Whilst idle, voltage too low

So you are using the full range of speeds possible with that kernel. Anything above 998 is overclocked. 1113 isn't usually a problem, but handsets differ so reducing this slightly is one thing to try.

If it's 4 reboots in 2 months it may take a while before you know for sure if a fix works though.

Thanks both. I will try changing the speed in set CPU slightly and see how that goes for a while. If I still have problems, I'll try another kernel.

I just noticed that my screen off profile had a minimum speed set lower than the 245 (not sure why, I don't remember setting that). So I bumped that up to 245 and I bumped down the max speed 1 click.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones