1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Give Me a break

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RandomRedMage, Sep 25, 2014.

1. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Lurker

Of that KitKat Rom.

OK, horrid pun out of the way, are there any custo roms out there that support the Hydro icon, and if so, are any of them KitKat? It's my new little toy, and for the price [free] it has way more features than i could have asked for. including NFC and wireless charging. [yay]

But Jellybean does not allow for HCE, so im a little limited in that area. I just updated my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 to Kitkat, and I really like what it can do, and would like that experience shared with my phone.

I've already rooted the thing, uninstalled some of the bloatware and it runs fantastic. [though signal is a little spotty at work but thats a boost thing]

I'm a PC Repair technician, but phones are a little beyond me and I rarely have enough time to really deeply study into a NEW field beyond just keeping up with new toys.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know this little thing can run it... the LG Volt has KitKat, and the specs are near identical.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Hey RandomRedMage, welcome to AF! :)

I've moved your thread over to the all-things-root sub-forum since the folks in here should best be able to answer your questions.

Cheers!

3. phonehelp

phonehelp Newbie

The hydro ICON is supposedly going to get updated to KitKat soon. Maybe later this month. Supposedly. You can only root Kyocera phones. You can't put custom Roms in because the boot loader is locked. Causing you to boot loop the phone�� if you try.

Goldeneagle72 likes this.
  4. Jakk

Jakk Member

i got the kitkat update. it's nice, it can even use ART now as well. supposedly there is wifi calling, but i'm still figuring that out. it did take away my root though. once i get over all the new fanciness of kitkat i'll try rooting it again.

5. phonehelp

phonehelp Newbie

Cool. You have the Hydro ICON?

6. Jakk

Jakk Member

yes i have an Icon, and i use Boost. that's why i posted about this. ;)

*AFTER A FEW DAYS UPDATE*

it has also resolved the random reboot issue. battery life has actually taken a hit. i use to make it about a day and a half before charging, but that has been reduced to having to charge it daily now. the phone is fast now though, or i should say faster than it was. i'm not sure if it is because of ART or KitKat or both. it is nice, the phone now acts as fast the specs would make you think. i'm very happy i took the gamble on this phone, i was worried about the random reboot and was thinking of taking it back. then the update showed up. now it feels like a high end rugged phone. not the quality of the screen of course, but hey it's a rugged phone!

i hope this sheds some light and helps some folks out.

scary alien likes this.
  7. phonehelp

phonehelp Newbie

Oh okay, I got that phone but I haven't received an update for it.

8. Jakk

Jakk Member

i just got one for my girl, and she hasn't gotten the update either. i had to manually check for it. i read about the update getting released and i manually checked and it was downloadable. so i would go a little OCD on your phone and manually check a couple times a day until you get it.

phonehelp likes this.
  9. phonehelp

phonehelp Newbie

Lol oh okay, I'll keep checking every day. Thanks for the info.

10. bonds2034

bonds2034 Lurker

Hmmmm, has there been any way into the bootloader yet. I would like to see if I can flash in a version of twrp and try to get some dev underway

11. Goldeneagle72

Goldeneagle72 Newbie

It's been said many times before that the bootloader on kyocera phones are port locked so unfortunately all these phones will see is root capability

Kyocera Hydro Icon Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews