1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Give me Root... OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by E11evenE11even, Jan 20, 2013.

1. E11evenE11even

None

Jan 19, 2013
    Male
    Hola everyone.
    Today I intend to Root my HTC One S, and then install a custom Rom to it. I have never done this before but the steps seem relatively simple.
    I have a few questions I could not find the answers to before I begin, though.

1. I am using a Windows 8 pc, will that change any of the necessary steps in the tutorial stickied here?

2. What are the benefits of the specific Roms? I've seen a few, but truthfully I kinda have trouble understanding what the differences in some of them mean.
    I've heard people mention aokp and aosp and I'm not sure what that means. I've read that, historically, CyanogenMods are powerful ways to go, but I'm not sure if that's for me or if the newest CM release for the HTC One S is stable. I've also read about a Pacman Rom, Zen Rom and ParanoidAndroid Rom, but again the terminology is a bit lost to me and I'm not sure what the feel and control level would be for each.
    I'm looking for 2 main things: customizability and simplicity. I'd like to be able to change almost everything on the phone; fonts, splash screens, menu bar colors, etc. I can be quite picky sometimes and I consider myself somewhat of an artist.
    At the same time I'd like it not to be a complete cluster***, (not that any of these are, but for all I know, as I've never used one, they might be.) as even though I like to make everything my own, sometimes I go for a 'minimalist' feel. I DEFINITELY want to get rid of all the stock bloatware that came on my phone, very few things annoy me as much as having to navigate through that garbage to get to an application.
    I'm also a fan of custom home Launchers, I use ADW EX right now. I'm not sure if I can still use that, or if the Rom's launchers are superior in most ways or how that all works.
    Well anyways, thank you very much for listening to me rant like a noob and thanks in advance for any help you may offer! Your expertise is, as always, appreciated! :)

Advertisement

2. E11evenE11even

None

Jan 19, 2013
    Male
  3. E11evenE11even

None

Jan 19, 2013
    Male
    Can someone help me? I've read through everything, posted this, and now I've just been waiting for anything. Nothing online solves the problem either.

4. Quills88

Quills88 Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2013
    Australia
    I went through this tutorial and it worked for me. I can try and help you.
    What step are you at when you got the waiting for device message?
    Do you have HTC sync installed, usb debugging turned on and power options fastboot unchecked?

5. E11evenE11even

None

Jan 19, 2013
    Male
    Yes I have all of those. I direct my command prompt and run the get token command, and it just says 'waiting for device.' I'm in fastboot and have HTC Sync installed. I don't know if I have to do it differently with Windows 8.

6. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles
    None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    I have windows 7 (and experience with all versions before that), but not windows 8, so if it's an issue there I can't be much help.

7. chong67

chong67 Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Male
    IT
    Atlanta
    Make sure you right click and do install as Admin.

I read somewhere that if the drivers work on W7 it sure will work on W8. W8 is that good.

I will use W8 a year later.

Thats all I know. :)

8. Quills88

Quills88 Newbie
    None

Jan 16, 2013
    Australia
    When you are connected it should say fastboot usb in red. Are you in that fastboot usb mode or in fastboot mode? Are you using HTC cable from a port on the back of your computer?

9. razvan06

razvan06 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    ...who ?
    Bucharest
    You get this message because you did not install HTC SYNC DRIVERS, download HTC SYNC, install it, restart pc, CLOSE HTC SYNC from processes, connect the phone in bootloader mode !, repeat the steps you need after your computer recognizes the phone !

Tags: