1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Given Up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by x25064, Dec 16, 2011.

1. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    Returning my Gnex. It is not what the myth lived up to be.

Reasons:
    -abysmal battery life on 3g alone, no gps, no sync, nothing.
    -still lags, I don't care how much fanboys deny this (LWP for example)
    -3g reception is terrible
    -4g reception is terrible and not worth the battery expense to try
    -camera is subpar, why they didnt put the S2's camera on here is beyond me
    -My MMS has been working like shit all day, I blame the terrible 3g reception
    -Extended battery is a joke, dies just as fast as the regular one

People who are looking into this phone, don't buy the fanboy hype, don't try to ration that its going to be better, and don't think an OTA is going to magically fix half of these problems. People who claim wild battery life are in denial or trying to make the gnex seem better then it is because they want pride in their phone. Fact is, this phone is flawed, and I'm not waiting around to root and rom it just to make it better.

I wish it was better, but its not. I'm so irritated with this whole debacle that I am 90% tempted to buy a 4S and be done with it.

Advertisement

2. Depth Afield

Depth Afield Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    I've had the WIFI issue, but none of the others. I would love to know what people are doing with their phones to drain the batteries (including extended) multiple times since the phone was released only a day ago.

Sorry, but some of these rants from fresh accounts smell like propaganda.

3. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    None at all, I've been using it for texting and occasional web browsing or facebooking. Likewise some of the posts smell like fanboyism and denial.

4. Depth Afield

Depth Afield Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Clearly you missed my bootloop thread. Also you've owned the phone for what, 24 hours or so? You've completely drained and completely charged the battery in that time?

For the record, I am on the other side of the mountains from SLC, I get good 3G bars (no 4G out here) and aside from the mentioned wifi issue, I have had no issues. In fact it is an amazing upgrade from my DX.

Premium1 likes this.
  5. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    So I'm a fanboy because I'm not having the issues you're having?

My 4G hasn't dropped once. I don't concern myself with battery life on smartphones, I just make sure to keep it charged.

The only lag I've experienced I'm hoping are due to apps not being ready for ICS yet.

The shutter on the camera is way too fast to get good pics. I'm going back to Vignette to see if that helps.

6. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    Maybe you just got a device with a bad battery? It happens. My wife and I had to return the new Nook Simple touch eReader 3 times before we finally got one that worked well and had decent battery life.

7. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Lol at us being fanbois because our phones don't suck. Haven't had a single problem you just mentioned outside of reason, I don't think that makes me a fanboy. Hope your next phone works out better for you.

Premium1 likes this.
  8. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    :eek:

the battery life blows, but not bad enough for me to return it. i expected it to not be great before i purchased the phone after first learning about the screen specs. maybe the 4.0.3 update will fix that...

haven't had any of the other issues you've had. my reception is better than the moto bugonic i dropped for it. maybe you got a bad one? you could always try a swap first :)

foo likes this.
  9. Mormonstang

Mormonstang Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    I have no lag, im confused why you do. I'm not a fan boy either.

10. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    Not saying everyone who has a working phone is, but dont go and accuse me of spreading "propaganda" either. I've had nothing but issues with this damn thing and I've got the right to be pissed off about it.

I've done a full charge cycle, on both the standard and today the extended. If it makes any difference my phone charges in an 1 1/2, which seems far too fast, so idk. I haven't returned it yet, but I dont see much stopping me from doing so.

Also -- i'm not sure a swap will solve these problems. Several other people have reported -100db radio issues, and bad battery life too. The proof is in the pudding, its just not a very good handset.

11. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    oh i didn't know it was good to completely drain and then charge 100%. i'll try that. thanx :)

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    I honestly think hype and high expectations get the better of people with some of this stuff. I tend to believe that more than I do people being blind by fanboy/girl-ism.

Battery life on most Android phones takes a few days to be consistent. To start with it is a new toy and everyone plays with them all the time. Second, whether it is the battery or the OS that takes some burn in time it takes a few days for the battery to start reporting properly and/or get consistent. Third, bad reception and 4G kills batteries.

The reception is an issue that many are having, including myself, and it is one that should be fixed with software updates. Sound odd? Yep, but it is the case and has been with plenty of CDMA Samsung phones.

As far as lag, MMS, LWP and the camera I can't really comment to much. As I've already discussed, lag isn't an issue for me. I don't generally use LWP or MMS and the camera is really nice for a phone.

I would suggest getting an exchange before I'd totally write the phone off though. You may have a problem unit.

13. xliderider

None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    If you're not even willing to try a swap, then you just lost credibility, to me anyway. sure, some people are having the same issues as you, but maybe a swap would be the answer for them as well.

14. zerocool79346

None

Apr 22, 2010
    That is what makes you a fanboy. How is not a very good handset when you and the other handful of people with issues are the minority? I understand that you're disappointed with the phone, that's fine and dandy. But to call it a terrible handset based on the minority's problems is a logical fallacy.

Premium1 likes this.
  15. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    Seems to be more of a majority if you read around bub.

16. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    Common sense.

More then just a handful of people have this issue. So, if I go to verizon and swap the phone, I could get one of their handsets with the same issue. Its obviously a bigger problem then just being limited to a couple 1000 phones. Who's to say I won't get the same problems from a new handset? Seems like my chances of getting one with the same problems, compared to one that wont have them, is slim to none. Just look at all the threads here with people having the same problems as myself. I think the few 1000 handsets out there are the ones WITHOUT issues.

17. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    You always find more problems on a forum.

Proph likes this.
  18. zerocool79346

None

Apr 22, 2010
    :rolleyes:

Ok "bub." I'll play. Do you know how many GNex's sold yesterday? Do you know how many are accounted for on this board? Maybe 30%, probably less. Of that 30% only a handful are talking about the phone being abysmal in anyway that makes them think it deserves to be returned. The rest know that the issues are software related for the most part, and will be fixed. I can't help the fact that you didn't know what you got yourself into with buying into the Nexus line, that's fully on your shoulders.

Premium1 likes this.
  19. Randino

Randino Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina
    No way anyone can have a good opinion on the phone yet. Its only been out less that 48 hours. Is it perfect? No. Is any phone perfect? No.

20. xliderider

None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    x25064, seems to me you've made up your mind, so return the device and get something you'll be happier with. Peace. :)

21. Randino

Randino Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    North Carolina
    Secondly, if you are returning the phone why tell everyone, just return it and find something you're happy with.

JustinHEMI likes this.
  22. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Texas
    Ya think of it this way: if you're happy with performance are you gonna post about everything that works? Probably not. You're only going to post if something doesn't so reading the forums sometimes makes a phone look worse than it is.

23. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Not really. If you look around the biggest complaint is the signal issues people are having. The battery is secondary, but as I said before the burn in period isn't even close to being done yet. As far as your other issues go, I'm not seeing those.

If you want to get a different phone then go for it. Your phone, your life and your choice. I just think it is a bad idea to dismiss this phone too soon. I know for me, if the signal isn't improved with an OTA soon it will be going back and exchanged for a Rezound by mid January. I'd at least try a factor reset before returning it.

24. Mormonstang

Mormonstang Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    I know eight people with this phone and we are all loving it, sorry but i feel like the mass is doung better than you think.

25. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Here is the important thing here:

Don't go saying there is a problem with THE Nexus, when you are having a problem with YOUR Nexus, in YOUR area, with YOUR usage.

In the OP, making objective statements about quality of the phone based on a sample size of 1 (you), is not reasonable. How about this instead:

"I am frustrated because I am having a series of issues with my Nexus. I am not sure if it is a failure of the Nexus in general or just my particular Nexus or my local service. It seems like the majority of you are doing great with yours, but I am going to have to return mine."

That would have been better.

Tags: