1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Given Up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by x25064, Dec 16, 2011.

1. xGalaxyNexusx

xGalaxyNexusx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks! I was wondering where ppl got the info so quickly. Turns out I'm just a dumb@ss! Either way, I appreciate it. Happy holidays!

Advertisement

2. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    It's the screen running down the battery. You're playing with your phones a lot in the early days.

Lay it down on a table for a day. 4G, Wifi, Satellite one. It barely drains at all. It's the use of it.

Not saying that's not important, but ignoring the obvious truth that this screen is a battery hog (in favor of the more insidious processes behind the scenes) doesn't help. All phones these days are tending to get getting bigger and more powerful screens.

3. asmallchild

asmallchild Member
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    lovin my nexus

have played around with a razr and rezound and they dont compare

Mormonstang and Premium1 like this.
  4. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can't wait until everyone returns their Nexus... Verizon and Google will see the mass returns and rush out update after update over the next couple of weeks. And all of us who weren't expecting our cell phones to be the second coming of Jesus will reap all the benefits! Hurry up, take 'em back today! Why wait???

cbd and kcs7272 like this.
  5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Yes, I know how much you hate your Nexus and I remeber that your wifi is broken.

This happens to be a different phone and an update is already on the works that is known to deal with the signal issues.

kcs7272 likes this.
  6. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Returns probably won't really change much. Updates were in the works before the phone was released and the issues we are seeing are more than likely the reason for the launch delays in the first place.

xGalaxyNexusx likes this.
  7. Premium1

None

Dec 3, 2011
    They already have 2 updates in the works 4.0.3 and 4.1, both of which are supposed to help fix some of the bugs and signal issues. P3 had the 4.1 update and said it was night and day difference what the update did for the radio.

8. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "Still as crappy today as it was when I got it"... wow, a whole 3 days later? What is this world coming to?

Most people who ordered online just got theirs yesterday or even today. I'm sure some are still waiting. How about we have a little patience and let them push out an upgrade before we freak out? And if 3 days is an eternity in your eyes, then I can guarantee you won't be happy no matter what device/provider you have.

Premium1 likes this.
  9. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just giving all these naysayers a hard time... I wasn't clueless as to what was going on, lol. But I do appreciate the responses. I'm just a smartass sometimes... and that's taken to an extreme degree when people are dumb and expect a perfect device straight out of the box. Oh well, I'm happy and that's all that matters to me. I hope you're happy, but if not I definitely won't lose any sleep over it. (and I mean "you" as in everyone, not anyone specifically)

Premium1 likes this.
  10. leroybrute

leroybrute Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    whatever they let me do
    wherever I can
    lol

11. escman

escman Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    You said it. Thousands better than the tbolt

12. Thai

None

Sep 24, 2010
    Once Google/Samsung/Sprint promised an update to fix the radios on the Nexus S...but, in reality, the "fix" was to fix the tethering...to prevent such!! :(

13. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can understand why you'd have hesitations to trust them after what you had been through before... but this is not Sprint. And not that I think Verizon is some high & mighty being, but do you really think it'll be the same? On a device of this magnitude and popularity? You have an extra two weeks to return the Nexus if so... all I'm saying is that you should use that time to see what they are capable of before you run screaming back to Verizon to go back to an older phone that will probably get updated less frequently.

14. trunks67

trunks67 Lurker
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Sorry your having so many issues. Im very happy with battery life, much better than bionic i had. Regarding signal, it shows i have 2 bars but my reception is crystal clear and 4g blazing fast. Maybe indicater is off? I returned an iphone 4s for this and couldnt be happier. Battery was worse on the 4s by the way if youvwere planning on picking one up.

15. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Ok, let's remember the forum rules here. No need to call people names or insult them simply because they don't like the phone. Remember the forum rules, be nice. If someone wants to return the phone or doesn't like the phone that is their choice.

crankerchick, Slug, xeno2011 and 3 others like this.
  16. Depth Afield

Depth Afield Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    No intended disrespect, but if this is your 3rd 4G phone, it may be a problem with the operator.

17. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    OTD, I agree with most of what you said, but I wish I had your confidence that this is a software issue as opposed to hardware. One of the reasons I say that, is with all probability Verizon/Google/Samsung were all aware of the poor LTE signal strength. How could they not with all the testing that all parties did? If they weren't aware, then heaven help us all as it would seem these guys would need to rewrite all their QC testing protocols!

So with the likelihood that all or most parties were aware, they could have done something prior to the release to fix it, assuming it IS software. I can't imagine it could have been a difficult software fix, but hey, I'm not a software writer. Now, if it was hardware, then it makes sense there was nothing that could be done short of recalling every phone and swapping out all those radios. That would have set the release back months and months.

So I'm betting they tried a software fix, it failed, and they said 'well, we've got no choice, we've got to release it'. I hope I'm wrong, but logically this seems like the most likely scenario to me.

BTW, my in-store testing today showed a db variation of 25 at the best and up to 35db between the best phone (Razr & Rezound) and the Nexus.

18. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    That's great for you zerocool, but for those of us that use LTE, it is a very very real issue. We're not talking marginal differences here, we're talk some big time sensitivity differences between the Nexus and all the other VZW LTE phones.

To be honest, I could care less what radio is in there, it doesn't work as well as others. If it was made on Mars I could care less, I just want it to work on the same level as a cheapo $99 4G phone on VZW. It doesn't.

I find the phone great in all other respects, but let's be fair, if you live in a 4G area, 'meh' is not your response to a sub-par 4G radio. Far from it.

19. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Wow, I haven't seen variations that high in my area. That is pretty extreme.

As far as it being a software thing as apposed to hardware let me just say that I know a few testers out there. I know the difference that some of the software updates have made. 4.0.2 was a big cause of the signal problems we are seeing now. It fixed some things that really needed fixing, but messed up the radio software. Now, I can't say that I know anything about 4.0.3 because that one kind of shocked me as it did a few others. 4.1 though has been in testing and it really has improved signal. Night and day difference is what most people are saying.

I also know from past experience with Samsung products that it is software 95% (remember 85% of all percentages are made up) of the time because their hardware is usually rock solid. I've never had a Samsung with bad hardware

EDIT: I should also throw in that if this was a problem that couldn't be fixed, I'd be the first person to condemn the phone and walk away from it. I don't go for tech that doesn't do what it is supposed to and I'm not some blind fangirl that will praise anything Android. Manufacturers have put out some really garbage Android products before, but this is not one of them.

GaresTaylan likes this.
  20. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Again, let's be clear about this. As I've said and OTD has said, this is not an inaccurate 'bar indicator'. This is an actual signal strength db # as reported by the phone in its data area. I can attest that the actual # translates 100% to actual user experience. I've been in the same areas with my Bionic and my Rezound. In those areas the Bionic & Rezound retained a 4G signal with no problem. My Nexus dropped the 4G signal and in one case lost data all together.

This is a real signal sensitivity issue, not the number of bars being reported inaccurately. I think this concept is very important for everyone to understand.

21. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    That is VERY encouraging OTD, it really is! I wasn't aware that the latest update screwed up the radio. If that's the case then there really is a great chance this can be fixed!

Just to give you an idea of the #s I was seeing. The Razr reported -45db, the Rezound as I recall -49db, the cheapo $99 4G phone (don't even recall which one that was) -55db, another was at -57db and the Nexus was at -79db.

The Razr was at the front of the store closest to the door & window, so it could have been receiving a somewhat better signal. But all the other phones were lined up right next to each other. It was really stunning to see. In fact I pulled out my Nexus and it reported exactly the same -79db as the display model.

BTW, what shocked you about 4.0.3? I'm in the dark on that.

But again, what you've said is the first I've heard of that and it's got me a lot more optimistic than I had been. Of course the issue will be what do we do if the fix is not released before the return period is over? :thinking:

22. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    You missed the second paragraph of what I said. We already know that 4.1 was floating to dev devices when P3 still had the phone and that it drastically (per his own words) increased radio performance on the LTE side of things. That's exactly what I meant when I said the radio has a very real chance of changing with software updates. If you can't hang on and wait, then that's understandable, I'm just offering an out to those who can.

23. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I'd like to hold out as long as I can. I'm very happy with the battery life, my 2nd biggest concern with a 4G phone and the reason I didn't go with the Razr. So if it's likely they'll have a fix, I can stick it out. But I'd be lying if I told you if a fix still isn't out as it gets close to my return window closing, that I wouldn't get nervous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we actually still don't know for sure that any fix on this phone will come direct from Google. It still may have to pass through VZW before it's 'approved'. If that's the case, I wouldn't look for a fix any time soon.

24. OfTheDamned

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Wow, you live in a much much better area than I do as far as signal goes. I'm seeing -79 dBm as really good here. In bad areas I'm seeing -110 on my Nexus, but in really good areas I'm getting -88. Average is about -93. Odd thing is that I am still holding 4G in many of the bad areas and getting speeds around 4-6 Mbps. While I would prefer the 20+ Mbps I've seen on some phones I was also seeing 14k to 123k on my Fascinate before the Gingerbread update. So anything in Mbps is making me happy right now. lol

Just ran another speed test with all three connections.

Wifi = 9.76 Mbps down and 4.5 Mbps up
    4G = -102 dBm 7.06 Mbps down and 4.67 Mbps up
    3G = -93 dBm 1.05 Mbps down and 0.58 Mbps up

Battery is at 14% and the phone has been off the charger for 12h 29m 4s

At this point I'm not ready to complain too much. If the return deadline comes and there is no update in site or things somehow get worse, I may consider taking it back or exchanging it. I have until the middle of January for that though.

25. EKG

EKG Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    Somewhat off topic but still on topic:

For those of you saying the people with battery issues need to give the phone time to condition the battery, you are wrong. There have been enough posts and evidence that show that the batteries in phones today come "conditioned" right out of the box.

That being said, the first few days are prone to "new phone usage", where you play with the phone more than normal setting it up and messing around and whatnot and you use the battery more, which is why it might seem like after a few days the battery is "conditioned", when in fact you have simply stopped playing with it as much.

Tags: