• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo asks the Question of the Day: iPhone 4 or HTC EVO

wallpaper.androlib.com.jpg hahaha:)

Upvote 0
To be fair, the market for the iPhone (and hence the market for news ABOUT the iPhone) is simply much larger. The iPhone 3G sold 1 million phones on the first weekend. Sprint sold 150K Evos. That's an order of magnitude difference.

To be really fair, the real battle is not between the EVO vs iPhone (the iPhone will always win against a specific phone). The battle is a platform issue between Android and iPhone. iPhone is like your massive, slow Spanish Galleons that were chewed alive by the maneuverable, swarming English ships. Open Source is the storm that will cripple the iPhone for the Android army, and its not just EVO, its N1, Incredible, Droid, Hero, Eris, Moment...and scores to come.

Upvote 0
Holy CHRIST guys, could you overreact more?

The article was well written and unbiased. They gave a straightforward and strong review of the EVO. If anything I thought they were favoring Android in the "battle against Apple".

What likely happened is they added the poll, and some people probably started attacking it/hacking it and making it useless. That, or some people were turning the comments section into an Google vs Apple flamewar.

This is the most insanely huge overreaction I've ever seen.

Upvote 0
Just got a reply to an email I sent from the editor-in-chief of Engadget in regards to the removal of the poll:

Subject: EVO v iPhone 4 poll

We decided we didn't have enough info to compare the two fully. We're going to wait till we've done a review of the iPhone 4, and then repost with lots more detail.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Joshua Topolsky
Editor-in-chief, Engadget

------
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Hank <me@mail.com> wrote:
What happened to this article? I was gonna link it to a friend of mine but I can't seem to find it anymore.

-Hank

Upvote 0
To be really fair, the real battle is not between the EVO vs iPhone (the iPhone will always win against a specific phone). The battle is a platform issue between Android and iPhone. iPhone is like your massive, slow Spanish Galleons that were chewed alive by the maneuverable, swarming English ships. Open Source is the storm that will cripple the iPhone for the Android army, and its not just EVO, its N1, Incredible, Droid, Hero, Eris, Moment...and scores to come.
You're misconstruing my post. The person who I quoted was asking why the iPhone launch got more press on Engadget's site than the Evo's launch. I wasn't comparing Engadget's overall Android vs. iPhone coverage.

Upvote 0
You're misconstruing my post. The person who I quoted was asking why the iPhone launch got more press on Engadget's site than the Evo's launch. I wasn't comparing Engadget's overall Android vs. iPhone coverage.

I understand, but I was pointing out that a discussion of this needs to be re-framed beyond one particular phone and that its really a platform battle. [insert android phone] vs iPhone misses the overall larger issue and is not really useful for any sort of discussion.

Upvote 0
I understand, but I was pointing out that a discussion of this needs to be re-framed beyond one particular phone and that its really a platform battle. [insert android phone] vs iPhone misses the overall larger issue and is not really useful for any sort of discussion.

The discussion right now is the EVO vs iPhone 4 because those are the two biggest contenders and the two devices on both platforms to offer the latest and greatest. They are teh new hotness.

Let the heat die down on both phones and it will go back to being a platform discussion.

Upvote 0
To be fair, the market for the iPhone (and hence the market for news ABOUT the iPhone) is simply much larger. The iPhone 3G sold 1 million phones on the first weekend. Sprint sold 150K Evos. That's an order of magnitude difference.

I'm not sure how that matters....Apple is IOS4...EVO 4G is the flagship Android phone right now. All Androids surely outnumber all iPhones by now...or will shortly.

EVO 4G is clearly the direction Android is going...more phones with more features and it is the only serious contender to Apple right now.

Some people, who run certain blogs, don't want to hear that message...and have decided that others shouldn't hear that message either.

Yeah, some of the Android fanboys there are very obnoxious...they mod down anybody who approves of Apple in any way. I personally think that is very obnoxious. Some of them accused the editors of explicit bias. OK. Free people say all kinds of things. What do you do? If you want to maintain your integrity, you pull the trigger and lock the comments...then explain how certain members of the community violated the decorum....made asses of themselves...made false accusations against you. That is the right thing to do.

But disappearing entire articles on a supposedly 'reputable' blog is sleazy...there is never an excuse for that. Deleting comments is worse. Period. The. End.

Upvote 0
Just got a reply to an email I sent from the editor-in-chief of Engadget in regards to the removal of the poll:

No...he's doing it wrong. Just shut the comments down and post an update saying that...don't completely delete the article. There was no reason that article should have been deleted based on the justification he just gave you.

Again...very shady behavior.

Upvote 0
BTW Guys, I am trying to get it known on engadget that there is a poll that is very straight forward and totally not biased towards any device, its on CNET, here

Apple iPhone 4 versus HTC Evo 4G | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews

If you guys can do me a favour, go to engadget and complain about it, about how they took it down because of "the low amounts of iphone specs" of an excuse...

Anyone think thats dumb as hell?

Id think a poll doesnt even need specs, just a simple Which phone are you getting, the evo, the iphone or none (exactly like CNETs poll)

BTW, Evo is smoking the iphobne, 58% to 39%.

Im getting the iPhone 4, but the only reason that is, is because evo wont be in canada.

Upvote 0
I voted on CNET for EVO. I dunno that I'll be flaming Engadget though. I can't get the comments to send from my work computer so I don't do much commenting there.

I know, thats the same here, it does send, you just cant usually see it on your side for a few minutes, i couldnt even see a few messages I wrote but instantly got lots of replies so I knew it was live.

Thats engadgets crappy commenting system for you lol.

Upvote 0
Well at my work we have an old version of IE so I can't even see the "send" or "post" button at all, so I can't post at all. I just posted one from my home computer using Chrome though.

I use chrome as well, for ubuntu, for windows, for basically everything. It would actually be sweet if they had chrome for iPhone, but we all know that would never EVER (ever) happen.

I havent used anything else since, unless using IE or safari to test website compatibility.

Upvote 0
I use chrome as well, for ubuntu, for windows, for basically everything. It would actually be sweet if they had chrome for iPhone, but we all know that would never EVER (ever) happen.

I havent used anything else since, unless using IE or safari to test website compatibility.

Yeah It'd be nice to have admin capabilities on my work computers, but there's no way in hell they'd swing that.

Upvote 0
These are the first few replies to the article they removed all voting EVO!

Rosco911 Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:35PMHIGHEST RANKED
1st!
EVO!!
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
The Advanced Kind Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:37PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

2nd... Evo as well!
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
shhaight Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:38PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

Im with you. EVO it is.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
Nickocosmic Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:38PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

EVO, since I already have one.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
tricheboars Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:39PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

EVO! unless you are an old lady who doesn't understand technology.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
wack Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:41PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911
and now more than ever it sucks to be on verizon...
gotta go with the EVO, not a big fan of what AT&T is doing these days, and the EVO is freakin sweet
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
huzzlehoff Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:41PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Nickocosmic
Evo
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
jons227 Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:41PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911 i got an evo yesterday. It is AMAZING. I showed my friend who is a iphone fanboy and he was even impressed.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
JS Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:43PMNEUTRAL
@Rosco911

Since resolution is the main thing I care about, I am getting the iPhone.

Yes, I know I will have to upgrade the iPhone in one year when the 4G version comes out.

If the EVO had the same or better resolution, then I definitely would get it, because the EVO beats the iPhone in all other aspects.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
wakeuplan Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:43PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911
I'm getting an Incredible, but I guess I'm in your camp. Android!
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
treats Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:43PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

EVO FTW.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
Mike10010100 Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:45PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911

It's really personal preference at this point. You can't go wrong.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
This comment has been down-ranked into oblivion. View comment
trong Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:45PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911 Everyone knows that the EVO was made for KINGS.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%
Gohawk09 Posted Jun 9th 2010 4:46PMHIGHEST RANKED
@Rosco911 agreed. definitely the EVO.
-
%ChildReplyHTML%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones