• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo review is brutal... thinking twice now.

I'm a daily gizmodo reader(I get bored at work) and I took their review with a grain of salt. Today I went to the verizon store and played around with the phone myself.

The stock UI does kinda suck as gizmodo had stated, but That problem was literally solved in 20 seconds when I installed launcherpro as some of the members on these forums suggested. The problem that I had with the gizmodo article is that they wrote it with a prerelease phone, and they did not tweak any of the settings or turn off any widgets. The author just complained and complained about how unusable the UI was.

So after testing out the phone myself, I ended up ordering one. Now we play the waiting game

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate a little on what aspect is annoying?

Okay now I am pretty familiar with stock android using a droid(TWICE)

but i am more familiar with sense seeing how i have had an Eris, Hero, Incredible and Evo...so i know how sense works in and out...

with this Blur or Blur like OS, this a whole new territory so part of the annoyances are the fact I am not that familiar so this is a user thing i need to get accustomed to

Other things that annoy me are:
The social Networking...
I have a modeling myspace with all my modeling pictures(as well as a modeling facebook)

and then i have a personal facebook and myspace(for family and friends)

The social networking app confuses me because it causes me to have to go on the web to do whatever it is i need to do, be it comment on someone's wall or whatever

So i have to resort to using the android app...except i would like to have both my facebook accounts on my phone to communicate with people who are interested in my modeling as well as family, friends, and colleagues

Also, there is a bit of lag here and there that i never really experienced on sense devices and also the phone has frozen up a few times in the 7 hours i have had it...

I tried to change my ringtone from that annoying DROIDDDDD to a song of my liking and it kept force closing(a reboot fixed this...but still)

All in all...I like the device...I am not in love with it like i initially was with my Evo...But after 3 weeks of dealing with Sprint and HTC build quality i quickly grew to hate it

and i am hoping that this is just an awkward first date with me and the X

I like it though..it's so huge in my hand and i am getting use to the feel of it

Upvote 0
I just got an email confirming delivery on Monday. I just called them to see if they were screwing with me, nope, its coming. Now what? Do I forgive and forget, or return it. Since I now own an Evo, maybe it is time for a heads up comparison. The Sprint dropped a call on the way home, maybe a fluke. Send one of them back after 30 days. It still does not change how I was treated, or does it?

What do u want them to do pull it out their ass? They don't manufacture the phones or provide supply motorola does. They can't help motorola didn't ship enough. Bitch at motorola verizon can't do anything for something they don't have.

Upvote 0

The social Networking...
I have a modeling myspace with all my modeling pictures(as well as a modeling facebook)

The social networking app confuses me because it causes me to have to go on the web to do whatever it is i need to do, be it comment on someone's wall or whatever

So i have to resort to using the android app...except i would like to have both my facebook accounts on my phone to communicate with people who are interested in my modeling as well as family, friends, and colleagues

Also, there is a bit of lag here and there that i never really experienced on sense devices and also the phone has frozen up a few times in the 7 hours i have had it...

I tried to change my ringtone from that annoying DROIDDDDD to a song of my liking and it kept force closing(a reboot fixed this...but still)

All in all...I like the device...I am not in love with it like i initially was with my Evo...But after 3 weeks of dealing with Sprint and HTC build quality i quickly grew to hate it

I like it though..it's so huge in my hand and i am getting use to the feel of it

I would like to point out that software that is included on anything is notoriously poor. Be it Window, Linux and even Macs and Phones :eek:.
It's generally just enough to get started and get a taste of what can be.
I never expect included software to be the best. Of course your milage may vary.

Also there is NO WAY in the world a programmer is going to cover what everyone else in the world might want. I'll bet you the programmer (or someone) thought that merging all contacts was a cool idea.
So sometimes we have to and need to find better apps. I don't personally mark down any device for included software. But that me.:D

On your other points. Mine lagged like crazy and had wifi connect problem, that I may have caused, but have gone away with a system reset and i'm downloading everything from scratch. Like others have said LauncherPro and ADW both run smooth as silk. And to be fair my Dinc lagged at times also . Try installing 3 apps at a time :D

I like the DROOOID ringer :eek::D Whats wrong with you?! LOL

You at least sound like you're willing to give it a few more "dates" unlike some that have returned it after 24 hours. Which is just silly if ouu ask me.

I'm just now getting to know mine and it should be JUST like my Dinc was except BIGGER in a few days. :D

Upvote 0
Can i assume you work for verizon? They promised me a phone for this afternoon after spending hours with them making the arrangements. They don't deliver and then can't give a firm delivery date. They can't even give me an incredible instead. I expect them to give me some kind of compensation for the hassle, time, and misrepresentations they offered me. They were successful in forcing me to change my plan and buy a more expensive insurance plan. They did offer that. Give nothing but lies and force this guy to pay more. Bye bye verizon.

No i dont work for verizon I wouldnt be able to stand people like you bitching and moaning all the time. Because I'm sure verizon wanted to run out of stock that was their main goal. Its all about making money so the more they have and sell the more they make. If its really that big of a deal then stay with sprint but stores were already getting more shipments in today so if you couldnt wait a day well then shame on you=P

Upvote 0
I just got an email confirming delivery on Monday. I just called them to see if they were screwing with me, nope, its coming. Now what? Do I forgive and forget, or return it. Since I now own an Evo, maybe it is time for a heads up comparison. The Sprint dropped a call on the way home, maybe a fluke. Send one of them back after 30 days. It still does not change how I was treated, or does it?

And you may save money with sprint but you are getting a lower level of service and network compared to verizon. Personally i will pay a little extra to know i will be able to make a call if something important comes up dont want to worry about dropping a call or not being able to make a call at all

Upvote 0
I would like to point out that software that is included on anything is notoriously poor. Be it Window, Linux and even Macs and Phones :eek:.
It's generally just enough to get started and get a taste of what can be.
I never expect included software to be the best. Of course your milage may vary.

Also there is NO WAY in the world a programmer is going to cover what everyone else in the world might want. I'll bet you the programmer (or someone) thought that merging all contacts was a cool idea.
So sometimes we have to and need to find better apps. I don't personally mark down any device for included software. But that me.:D

On your other points. Mine lagged like crazy and had wifi connect problem, that I may have caused, but have gone away with a system reset and i'm downloading everything from scratch. Like others have said LauncherPro and ADW both run smooth as silk. And to be fair my Dinc lagged at times also . Try installing 3 apps at a time :D

I like the DROOOID ringer :eek::D Whats wrong with you?! LOL

You at least sound like you're willing to give it a few more "dates" unlike some that have returned it after 24 hours. Which is just silly if ouu ask me.

I'm just now getting to know mine and it should be JUST like my Dinc was except BIGGER in a few days. :D

Oh i think software plays a huge part in my eyes due to the fact i am an average consumer....

People hate the iphone and the OS/software due to the fact it is "locked down" by apple yet most people do not know this

People like Android because it is open yet most do not know this

In a tech geeks mind, software probably isn't a big thing...

Like for instance...I am an aspiring model...Looking my best is a must...idc if i am just going to check the mailbox or going to the club, hair, makeup, nails and everything has to be perfect...then there are people who just don't care about that kind of stuff

not the best analogy but the only one i can come up with

People returning a device before 24 hours aside from MAJOR ISSUES with the software or hardware are stupid to me. I am sorry...This is a new phone and a new a UI that is going to take me a little longer than a day to learn...that is why you have 30 days

But I am married to the X so we are just going to have to go through counseling aka spend a lot of time on the forums to understand each other :)

And the Droid ringtone was cool until it scared the shit out of me when i was sleeping haha

Upvote 0

but i am more familiar with sense seeing how i have had an Eris, Hero, Incredible and Evo...so i know how sense works in and out...

with this Blur or Blur like OS, this a whole new territory so part of the annoyances are the fact I am not that familiar so this is a user thing i need to get accustomed to

The social Networking...

Thanks for your detailed reply. I do use facebook but sparingly, so I'm not bothered by a lot of the issues people are having with the Android app. But yeah, the general complaint seems to be that the Android facebook equivalent is missing a lot of features so no surprise there.

Luckily I haven't had any force closes since picking it up yesterday so it's probably and app-related issue. I currenly have 8 widgets running: calender (moto), weather(moto), Toggle widgets (moto -all four), music and a third party one: Brightness toggle. No social networking. Maybe that's why my battery life has been pretty good although the social network service is sitting in memory. Also no live wallpapers - to me that's just pointless eye candy.

I think you need to just give it time and if it's still bothering you, change over to a different launcher. I do like the Moto launcher though, even though it's not the smoothest. All I'm looking forward to now is Froyo. Skyfire is helping my flash withdrawals for the time being.

Upvote 0
Yep.
As soon as I put LauncherPro on the X,
it instantly melted away any lag I experienced.
LP turned the X into something better.

As for this sickening review,

I am at a loss of words.
"The ice scraper-cum-phone" ??
Are you serious? How is this professional?

They said all kinds of negative stuff about the camera/app

Ive had nothing but great results.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your detailed reply. I do use facebook but sparingly, so I'm not bothered by a lot of the issues people are having with the Android app. But yeah, the general complaint seems to be that the Android facebook equivalent is missing a lot of features so no surprise there.

Luckily I haven't had any force closes since picking it up yesterday so it's probably and app-related issue. I currenly have 8 widgets running: calender (moto), weather(moto), Toggle widgets (moto -all four), music and a third party one: Brightness toggle. No social networking. Maybe that's why my battery life has been pretty good although the social network service is sitting in memory. Also no live wallpapers - to me that's just pointless eye candy.

I think you need to just give it time and if it's still bothering you, change over to a different launcher. I do like the Moto launcher though, even though it's not the smoothest. All I'm looking forward to now is Froyo. Skyfire is helping my flash withdrawals for the time being.

I like the moto launcher as well and the things it has(even though it is a little overwhelming)

But the most annoying thing i have is random freezings

Upvote 0
Oh i think software plays a huge part in my eyes due to the fact i am an average consumer....

People hate the iphone and the OS/software due to the fact it is "locked down" by apple yet most people do not know this

People like Android because it is open yet most do not know this

In a tech geeks mind, software probably isn't a big thing...

Like for instance...I am an aspiring model...Looking my best is a must...idc if i am just going to check the mailbox or going to the club, hair, makeup, nails and everything has to be perfect...then there are people who just don't care about that kind of stuff

not the best analogy but the only one i can come up with

People returning a device before 24 hours aside from MAJOR ISSUES with the software or hardware are stupid to me. I am sorry...This is a new phone and a new a UI that is going to take me a little longer than a day to learn...that is why you have 30 days

But I am married to the X so we are just going to have to go through counseling aka spend a lot of time on the forums to understand each other :)

And the Droid ringtone was cool until it scared the shit out of me when i was sleeping haha

You're right that many users will just try and use what comes with it but it is usually the wrong way to go. Even Apple has a app store for a reason. The manufacturer generally aren't the best at coding apps they're more used to coding IC Chips and memory controls. Yes they are SUPER GEEKS LOL and don't write the best app/ This isn't really bad as it leaves room for developers to code better and make some money. Developer support is critical for any product.

Lets take your Modeling analogy. Lets say you get a gift purse from (name some top of the line purse makers sorry I don't use them so don't know one) and in the purse it has some cosmetic products from the same company. Now while they make good purses they aren't well known for their cosmetics. But you decide to try the lipstick they included, but it isn't that good and drips down your chin when it gets warm don't you go get something better? I'm betting you do. :D

I'm with you on returns in less that 24 hours but marrying your Droid X in 48 is just as bad. LOL. You should have dated a little longer. :D Good news is you can have it annulled in 30 days.

I was in the rest room the other day and as I'm standing there doing my thing I hear DROOOID come from the stall. I was laughing inside but happy to know there is another Droid ring tone lover in the building. :D

Good luck with your career goals and new marriage.

Upvote 0
HAHA all these undercover trolls that roam the negative threads were to be expected. You know who you are, so i wont mention any names. ;)

Basically this review covers the blur software. did it cover dlna? no 3g hotspot? no.
Great build? call quality? lol no...i can go on. this is a very subjective review tailored to project his bias
yes the stock launcher slows the phone down, that is all this review covers.
now i know that youre iphone is glued to your hands and it has no customization, (so basically how it ships, is what youre stuck with) but come on at least let the phone be reviewed by someone who actually knows how to use the product.

i agree blur sucks. good thing we have the option to customize and improve. other devices dont have this option(another great point he overlooks)

its almost like they withhold important information from consumers.....what really is the agenda here?

Upvote 0
You're right that many users will just try and use what comes with it but it is usually the wrong way to go. Even Apple has a app store for a reason. The manufacturer generally aren't the best at coding apps they're more used to coding IC Chips and memory controls. Yes they are SUPER GEEKS LOL and don't write the best app/ This isn't really bad as it leaves room for developers to code better and make some money. Developer support is critical for any product.

Lets take your Modeling analogy. Lets say you get a gift purse from (name some top of the line purse makers sorry I don't use them so don't know one) and in the purse it has some cosmetic products from the same company. Now while they make good purses they aren't well known for their cosmetics. But you decide to try the lipstick they included, but it isn't that good and drips down your chin when it gets warm don't you go get something better? I'm betting you do. :D

I'm with you on returns in less that 24 hours but marrying your Droid X in 48 is just as bad. LOL. You should have dated a little longer. :D Good news is you can have it annulled in 30 days.

I was in the rest room the other day and as I'm standing there doing my thing I hear DROOOID come from the stall. I was laughing inside but happy to know there is another Droid ring tone lover in the building. :D

Good luck with your career goals and new marriage.

lol i get what you are saying...that analogy of yours was better

and thank you so much :)

The reason i said i was married to it was because I already did my worry free guarantee exchange and as you know VZW only allows you one....
and even if wanted to exchange for an incredible(not that i do)
there is none in stock...So yeah i am stuck with a droid x lolzz

I saw a droid X today when i was in ihop...the guy saw mine and then came up and started talking to me(I guess this was his in to come flirt with me since we had the same phone)

it was funny because he really had no idea how android works..

he was looking for the folders that apple has and was asking me
how to find them lol

Upvote 0
lol i get what you are saying...that analogy of yours was better

and thank you so much :)

The reason i said i was married to it was because I already did my worry free guarantee exchange and as you know VZW only allows you one....
and even if wanted to exchange for an incredible(not that i do)
there is none in stock...So yeah i am stuck with a droid x lolzz

I saw a droid X today when i was in ihop...the guy saw mine and then came up and started talking to me(I guess this was his in to come flirt with me since we had the same phone)

it was funny because he really had no idea how android works..

he was looking for the folders that apple has and was asking me
how to find them lol

You should have opened Navigator and gave him directions to the nearest Apple store. :D

I guess I married my X also in that case I returned the Inc after dating it for about a month. She was good to me but I needed something with a bigger screen.

Upvote 0
You should have opened Navigator and gave him directions to the nearest Apple store. :D

I guess I married my X also in that case I returned the Inc after dating it for about a month. She was good to me but I needed something with a bigger screen.

lol funny.....

Some Evo Owners want me to do a little review comparison
so i have these two big boys in my jeans now and heading out
to but them both to work

What I still don't get people saying these phones are too big

I am a 17 year old girl
5'8(i always thought i was a little shorter but i found out i am kind of tall)
And i wear skinny jeans and skirts all the time
and it is not tight or uncomfortable at all. Feels
just like anything else i had owned in the past

Upvote 0
HAHA all these undercover trolls that roam the negative threads were to be expected. You know who you are, so i wont mention any names. ;)

Basically this review covers the blur software. did it cover dlna? no 3g hotspot? no.
Great build? call quality? lol no...i can go on. this is a very subjective review tailored to project his bias
yes the stock launcher slows the phone down, that is all this review covers.
now i know that youre iphone is glued to your hands and it has no customization, (so basically how it ships, is what youre stuck with) but come on at least let the phone be reviewed by someone who actually knows how to use the product.

i agree blur sucks. good thing we have the option to customize and improve. other devices dont have this option(another great point he overlooks)

its almost like they withhold important information from consumers.....what really is the agenda here?

I understand that most people naturally hate reading something that makes them question their choices, but this Gizmodo 'review' is a joke.

It is NOT a review. Matt B should be banned for a a copule of weeks from writing any more articles, and how the heck could the editor allow its posting?

A review is unbiased; this article reads as if Matt B wants to kill the robot.

BS.

Upvote 0
I understand that most people naturally hate reading something that makes them question their choices, but this Gizmodo 'review' is a joke.

It is NOT a review. Matt B should be banned for a a copule of weeks from writing any more articles, and how the heck could the editor allow its posting?

A review is unbiased; this article reads as if Matt B wants to kill the robot.

BS.

I think he is talking about people bashing the X, he thinks the Gizmodo review was a joke. Well at least that is what I took from it.

Upvote 0
lol funny.....

Some Evo Owners want me to do a little review comparison
so i have these two big boys in my jeans now and heading out
to but them both to work

What I still don't get people saying these phones are too big

I am a 17 year old girl
5'8(i always thought i was a little shorter but i found out i am kind of tall)
And i wear skinny jeans and skirts all the time
and it is not tight or uncomfortable at all. Feels
just like anything else i had owned in the past

The Dinc felt bigger in my pocket because it would fall over sideways and then felt funny. the X is too big to fall over so it feel better in my pocket.

Upvote 0
Gizmodo would do better keeping away from hysterics.

That said, they have several points:

Vendors should stop mucking with the OS. The tiny improvements they succeed at are invariable outweighed by the stuff they make worse, bloated, and harder to upgrade with future Google releases.

And no, Blur is not just the widgets. They tweaked the contacts, messaging, and other apps. With rather dubious benefits.

The DX's default screens are rather haphazard. They seem to be designed more to demonstrate all the widgets possible, than to lay them out in a coherent, attractive manner. For the folks here, that probably right. You're going to change it up to your liking anyway. For the average user?

I agree with this and others about the X UI about UI's in general, even tho Sense UI is good.

And yes, this new Blur isnt just widgets. Its widgets and apps. It isnt an entire overlay like the current version of Sense UI.

I'm making this educated guess because:

The framework folder of the BackFlip and the X is totally different. If the framework folder of the EVO I seen recently is untouched, the X is setup different than that too.

In the framework folder of the X, Blur apps are actually listed and seem separated from the OS.

These new Blur widgets still work on 3rd party launchers. I've heard that Sense UI widgets dont. Unless I'm mistaken.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones